To collect, preserve, document, and interpret the material culture of Lubbock and the South Plains, and its adjacent West Texas regions.
This Schulz upright piano belonged to Harry Lemaire (1861-1962), Texas Tech University's first permanent band director from 1926-1934. Lemaire was an officer in British Army, veteran of the Spanish-American War, and bandmaster to Theodore Roosevelt during the 1898 San Juan Hill Campaign in Cuba. Lemaire was the composer and arranger of "The Matador", Texas Tech's school song.
Lemaire was a personal friend of US Marine Corps Bandmaster John Phillip Sousa (1854-1932). Sousa visited Lubbock on several occasions, and while staying in the Lemaire home, often entertained the Lemaire's by playing this piano. The notes marked on the keys are from the period when Lemaire taught his children to play.
The piano was manufactured by M. Schulz Piano Manufacturing Company of Chicago, between 1907 and 1911, according to the serial number. Lemaire ordered the piano from George Allen Co., a music dealership in San Angelo, Texas.