return to the Education page
Planetarium | Traveling Trunks | Tours & Programs | Conduct | Program Calendar
Museum Public Hours
Tues - Sat ..........10am - 5pm
Sunday .....1 - 5pm
Museum physical address
3301 4th Street, Lubbock 79415
Museum mailing address
Museum of Texas Tech University
Lubbock, TX 79409-3191
Museum Contact Information
Tour Scheduling: 806.742.2456
Education Office: 806.742.2432
Reservation Form (pdf) - Click here to download.
Museum Bus Parking
Buses may enter Museum parking lot from 4th Street and drop off students at the north main entrance. Buses must park on the north side of the north parking lot.
The Moody Planetarium is available for school groups. Both laser and planetarium shows are available. (See below for grade-specific shows.)
Seating capacity is 71 persons
The Tour Scheduling telephone line is 806.742.2456
(Some dates may not be available due to special programming. Please inquire.)
Group Show Fees
Planetarium fees for school groups PK to 12th grades are $2 per person (students and adults)
MOODY PLANETARIUM PROGRAMS
Click HERE for Planetarium and Laser Show offerings.
Scheduling Information: Astronomy and Laser Programs
- Reservations are required for all school planetarium and laser shows, and should be scheduled at least two (2) weeks in advance by calling 806.742.2456.
- Payment is due the day of the show.
- If your group is running late or has to cancel, please notify us as soon as possible.
- Planetarium school programs are scheduled Tuesday from 9:30 am to 1:30 pm and Wednesday through Friday from 9:30 to 11:30 am. Shows are scheduled to begin on the half hour. Plan to arrive a minimum of 15 minutes before the scheduled show time.
- Moody Planetarium capacity is 71 seats plus two wheelchair slots. If you have more than 60 students, two shows will be necessary.
Bring the Museum into YOUR CLASSROOM!
Traveling Trunks make artifacts, reproductions, interpretive information, hard-to-find resources, and suggested lessons available to teachers who cannot take a field trip. Trunks may be checked out for one to two weeks at a time. There is a rental fee of $10. Call 806.742.2456 to reserve a Traveling Trunk. Below are available Teacher Manuals. Underlined titles in red are available as .pdf downloads from this webpage; those in black are available from the Education Division office:
TOURS & PROGRAMS
Tuesday–Friday, Morning or Afternoon
RESERVATIONS are required for all museum tours and should be scheduled at least two (2) weeks in advance by calling 806.742.2456. With four (4) weeks advanced notice, a customized guided tour can be made available to meet specific requirements.
(Guided Programs are NOT available the week of Thanksgiving.)
Museum Education Division also offers Reach Out Workshops that come into your classroom to provide hands-on learning experiences. Call for details.
- One adult MUST accompany every 10 students.
- There is a charge of $1 per student to cover the cost of materials. Teachers and adult chaperones are admitted free.
- Plan to arrive 15 minutes before your program; a late arrival may result in a shortened or cancelled program.
- Guided programs are led by Museum-trained volunteers and feature hands-on experiences.
- Self-guided visits may be scheduled Tuesday through Friday anytime during regular Museum hours (10am-5pm). The Museum is open from 10am to 8:30pm on Thursdays.
- When scheduling a visit, please indicate the exhibit(s) you wish to see.
- Clipboards and pencils may be requested for use during your visit.
- There is no fee for a self-guided visit.
- Programs are led by the classroom teacher using materials provided by the Museum.
- All packets include pre- and post-visit activities, and assignments to complete while visiting the Museum.
- All activities done in the classroom or at the Museum meet TEKS or Core Curriculum requirements.
- Programs are available year-round unless otherwise indicated.
Click here for a tour registration form. Print, fill out, and send to:
Museum of TTU
Lubbock, TX 79409-3191
or email to: email@example.com
EDUCATION TOURS & PROGRAMS
PARTICIPANT CONDUCT POLICY
Staff or trained docents will conduct guided programs, but while at the Museum, adult sponsors accompanying student groups are responsible for student behavior. A program or tour may be terminated if participant behavior is deemed unmanageable by Museum staff. To assure a safe, comfortable learning experience, adult sponsors must closely monitor and control student behavior.