University Symphony Orchestra
University String Orchestra
The University Symphony Orchestra is one of the major ensembles at Texas Tech. This 80 member ensemble has earned great public acclaim for its performances on campus, during its annual tour, and at national conferences. At least seven major concerts or events are scheduled throughout the year, with a comprehensive repertoire of works from the 18th-21st centuries, including collaborations with guest composers, the University Choirs and Lubbock Chorale, opera department, and with our annual Student Soloist Competition winners. Members regularly perform with the Lubbock Symphony Orchestra and are in high demand as leading members of other regional orchestras. Rehearsals occur MWF from 2-4pm at the School of Music.
Auditions are open to all qualified Texas Tech University students and are held at the beginning of the fall term in August. Click here to go to the audition information page. String Players can audition for 2nd semester, and there may be positions available for winds. There may be additional positions available for winds in the 2nd (spring) semester. String players can audition for 2nd semester. To inquire about available positions or arrange an audition time, send an email to the Director of Orchestras, Dr. Andrew George at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University String Orchestra is designed for non-music majors, string education majors on a secondary
instrument, and community members. This ensemble provides an opportunity to both maintain and improve skills playing a wide variety of
music with limited weekly time commitments. Rehearsals occur Thursdays from 7-9pm in
011 at the School of Music, with one performance
each semester. This course satisfies the visual and performing arts credit requirements and is available for both undergraduate and
graduate credit. A limited number of instruments are available for use by those who don't own one.
To check availability, send an email to email@example.com. Course information: MUEN 3104 Section 002 - CRN 22895
There is a very informal audition to join, consisting of 1-2 minutes of prepared music of your choice. Plan to attend the introductory meeting on the first Thursday of fall classes at 7pm in room 011, School of Music. After the brief meeting, students can sign-up for an audition. If you missed the first meeting or if you are interested in joining for 2nd (spring) semester, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an audition time. Students in the fall ensemble do not need to re-audition for spring.
University Symphony Orchestra Performances 2012-13:
- Sunday, September 23, 3pm, HRH – Grand Holtkamp Organ Rededication Concert
- Sunday, October 28, 3pm, HRH – Halloween Concert
- Friday, November 16, 7pm AT – Stage Production: “A Little Night Music” by Stephen Sondheim (ticketed event)
- Saturday, November 17, 7pm, AT – Stage Production: "A Little Night Music" by Stephen Sondheim (ticketed event)
- Sunday, November 18, 2pm, AT – Stage Production: "A Little Night Music" by Stephen Sondheim (ticketed event)
- Monday, December 3, 8pm, HRH - University Symphony Orchestra Concert
- Sunday, February 3, 3pm, HRH – University Symphony Orchestra Concert
- Friday, February 22, 8pm, HRH – Sound Encounters
- Friday, March 22, 7pm, AT – Stage Production: Gilbert and Sullivan’s “Iolanthe” (ticketed event)
- Saturday, March 23, 7pm, AT – Stage Production: Gilbert and Sullivan’s “Iolanthe” (ticketed event)
- Saturday, March 30, Midland, TX - Stage Production: Gilbert and Sullivan’s “Iolanthe” (ticketed event)
- Monday, March 25, 8pm, HRH - Chamber Orchestra
- Saturday, April 27, 8pm, BCC – Scholarship Concert (ticketed event)
University String Orchestra Performances 2012-13:
Monday, November 19, 8pm, HRH – Fall Concert
Sunday, May 4, 2pm, HRH – Spring Concert
HRH=Hemmle Recital Hall in the TTU School of Music.
AT=Allen Theatre, Student Union Building
BCC=Broadway Church of Christ (1924 Broadway St. - free parking available on site)
Performances are free unless designated as ticketed events.
For directions and parking info, follow the Music Performance Calendar link below.