Performing Ensemble Auditions
All major performing ensembles at Texas Tech University are open to both music majors
and non-music majors. Click the links below for audition materials for all instrumental
ensembles as well as schedule and procedure. For further questions or information,
please contact the appropriate personnel for your respective performance area.
Click here for information regarding auditions for Choral Ensembles.
Winds, Brass, and Percussion
Goin' Band from Raiderland: Click here for audition materials and requirements for the Goin' Band.
Concert Ensembles (Band and Orchestra): Click here to go to the Wind/Percussion Audition Repertoire.
Jazz - Click here for Jazz audition requirements.
Strings — University Symphony Orchestra
For more information about the University Symphony Orchestra and University String
Orchestra, follow this link.
University Symphony Orchestra Auditions - Fall 2017
Auditions will be held in Hemmle Recital Hall on Saturday, August 26, 2017 and on Sunday, August 27, 2017 (times TBA).
For information regarding Fall 2017 University Symphony Orchestra string auditions, please contact the professor of your instrument listed below:
In your email, please provide the following information in order to have your individual audition time scheduled. Each audition will be approximately 7 to 8 minutes in length.
- TTU email address
- Alternative email address
- Phone number
- Year (freshman, 2nd year Master's, etc.)
- Anticipated graduation semester & year (e.g. Spring 2018)
Specific .PDF files of the audition selections will be posted soon for violin, viola, cello, and double bass.
The audition selections are:
- Tchaikovsky: Suite from Swan Lake, Op. 20a PLUS #29 Finale from the complete ballet
- Dvořák: Carnival Overture, Op. 92
- Glinka: Overture to Ruslan and Ludmila
Selected sight-reading is also possible.
Strings — University String Orchestra
Auditions for the University String Orchestra will be held on Thursday, September 7, 2017 between 6:00p.m. and 9:00p.m. (the String Orchestra's normal rehearsal time) in Room 115 (Dr. Philip Mann's office).
Please sign up for an audition time at the first String Orchestra rehearsal on Thursday, August 31, 2017.
STRING ORCHESTRA AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
- Two two-octave or three-octave scales of your choice — preferably one major scale and one minor scale — demonstrating on-string and off-string bowing styles
- 2-3 minutes of a prepared solo of your choice that best demonstrates your technical proficiency and musicianship
- Excerpts will be selected from the repertoire that will be read during the first rehearsal on Thursday, August 31.