Mission, Vision, and Core Values
The Texas Tech University School of Music provides a professional environment that stimulates the highest standards of excellence in music education, research, performance, creativity, and service.
The Texas Tech University School of Music aspires to be a leader in linking the elements of music education, research, performance, creativity, and technology.
The School of Music will:
- Be recognized as one of the premier comprehensive schools of music in the United States, attracting the finest students, faculty, and staff;
- Prepare students to be leaders in the profession with the highest standards of performance, teaching, research, artistic, and creative vision — who are innovative and confident, able to think critically, and are successful in their chosen field;
- Emphasize synthesis and connection in all of our curricula; be engaged at the local, regional, state, national, and international levels to benefit the educational experiences of students, faculty, and staff;
- Provide cultural enrichment and an understanding of the arts locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally.
- Commitment to excellence in teaching, research and creative activity, and service
- Highest standards in performance
- Excellence in the advancement of knowledge
- Effective communication
- Critical thinking
- Cultural literacy
- Technological literacy
- Respect for and responsiveness to the needs of students
- Shared governance and academic freedom
Return to the Graduate Handbook home page.