M. F. and Virginia Landwer Endowed Scholarship
Formally established in 1998 to provide scholarships for both graduate and undergraduate students based on financial need, aptitude, and scholastic attainments.
Professor Emeritus Milton Fredric Landwer was an Instructor in Zoology at the University of Nebraska from 1923 to 1926. He came to Texas Technological College as an Associate Professor in 1927, one of the earliest persons hired to teach Zoology. He continued in that capacity for 39 years teaching, at various times, General Zoology, Mammalogy, Comparative Anatomy, and Histology until 1966 when he retired. When he came to Texas Tech he had earned his Bachelor of Science degree from Northwestern University in 1920 and his Master of Arts degree from the University of Nebraska in 1926. In 1940 he received his doctorate from the University of Michigan. He became a Professor in the Department of Biology in 1949. Dr. Landwer was born in Barrington, Illinois in 1897 and died in Lubbock, Texas on October 17th 1980 at the age of 83. M. F. Landwer was one of the first 5,000 men to volunteer for military service in World War I. He served in France with the Medical Corps in Base Hospital Number 12. He was a charter member of Sigma Psi, a Tech honorary science fraternity, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and the American Association of University Professors.
Virginia Black Landwer was born in Marietta, Oklahoma on April 27th 1916 and attended schools in Ropesville and Lubbock, Texas. She graduated from Lubbock High School. Virginia earned Bachelor and Master of Science degrees from Texas Tech and taught biology at Lubbock High School for more than 21 years. She also taught BIOL 322, Teaching of Biology, in the Department of Biology at Texas Tech for several years in the 1960's. She was a member of the Alpha Sigma Chapter of Delta Kappa Gamma, 20th Century Club, 1911 Needle Club, Lubbock Book Club, and the Lubbock Antique and Collectors Club. Virginia married Milton Fredric Landwer on December 23rd 1936. The Landwer's had no children and at the time of Mrs. Landwer's death on November 22, 1996, at age 80, she had no close relatives. Her will disposed of her assets and a significant portion was dedicated to scholarships. Other beneficiaries were the Museum of Texas Tech University and the National Audubon Society. Because of their interest in wildlife she requested that a portion of her estate be used to support scholarships in the Range and Wildlife Management Department.
The Landwer's first home located in the "canyon area" off of North University Avenue is now known as the Landwer Party House near Canyon Lake Number 2 in Buddy Holly Park.
The endowment was formally established in 1998 to provide scholarships for both graduate and undergraduate students based on financial need, aptitude, and scholastic attainments. The number and amount awarded annually varies.