Ernst Kiesling, Ph.D.
National Storm Shelter Association (NSSA)
Phone: (806) 834-1931
Fax: (806) 742-3446
National Wind Institute
Reese Technology Center
Building 250, Rm. 105
Lubbock, TX 79409-1166
Dr. Kiesling has 48 years of teaching, research, administration and public service in his career at Texas Tech University. He leads the storm shelter research effort within the Wind Science and Engineering Research Center at Texas Tech. He and his colleagues developed the Safe Room, an above-ground storm shelter. He serves on the International Code Council (ICC) Committee that developed the ICC 500 storm shelter standard.
He was instrumental in founding the National Storm Shelter Association (NSSA), a non-profit trade association dedicated to quality in the shelter industry. He currently serves as Executive Director of the Association.
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Texas Technological College, 1955
- M.S. Applied Mechanics, Michigan State University, 1959
- Ph.D. Applied Mechanics, Michigan State University, 1966
Current Activities & Recent Publications:
- Currently direct an educational project on storm shelter quality through workshops to be transformed to web-based instruction. Two-year project supported by the FEMA Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP).
- 2000-present Manage the National Storm Shelter Association program for standards compliance verification of storm shelters. Such verification is required by the State of Texas to qualify for residential shelter incentive grants awarded through the FEMA Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP).
- 2001-present Executive Director, National Storm Shelter Association (IRS 501 c 6)
- 1959-present Numerous consultancies in the field of improved housing and storm shelter utilization
- Developed prescriptive residential shelter designs shown in FEMA 320, Taking Shelter From the Storm. Provided advice and editorial input to FEMA 320. Most-in-demand FEMA publication with approximately 1 million copies printed, 1998, 1999, 2008.
- Provided advice and editorial input to FEMA 361, Design and Construction Guidance for Community Shelters, 2000, 2008.
- Ernst W. Kiesling, Marc L. Levitan, Rolando E. Vega, (2009), "Introducing the ICC/NSSA Standard for Design and Construction of Storm Shelters", Proceedings, Eleventh Americas Conference on Wind Engineering, San Juan, Puerto Rico, June 22-26, 2009.
- Levitan, Mark L. and Ernst W. Kiesling, Design and Construction of Storm Shelters – Introducing the New ICC/NSSA Standard, Pre-Congress Seminar, 2009 Structures Congress, Austin, Texas, April 30 – May 2, 2009