Andy Swift, Sc.D.
Associate Director, Education
Phone : (806) 834-1990
Fax : (806) 742-3446
National Wind Institute
Lubbock, TX 79409-1023
- B. S. Mechanical Engineering
- B. S. Mathematics, Union College, Schenectady, NY (1968)
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering (1977),
- D.Sc. Mechanical Engineering, Washington University, St. Louis, MO (1981)
- Master's Thesis:"Computer Aided Design of a Solar/Wind Energy System"
- Doctoral Dissertation:"The Effects of Yawed Flow on Wind Turbine Rotors",Washington
University, St. Louis, MO, May 1981.
- Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Texas Tech University, September 2003
- and Associate Director, National Wind Institute, Texas Tech University, January 2013
to Present Director, Texas Wind Energy Institute, Texas Tech University, University
College, June 2010-Jan 2013 Director, Wind Science and Engineering Research Center,
Texas Tech University, September 2003 – June 2010
- Director, Center for Environmental Resource Management, U.T. El Paso, January-August
- Dean, College of Engineering, U.T. El Paso, June 1996 – January 2003
- Interim Dean, College of Engineering, U.T. El Paso, June 1995- June 1996.
- Assistant Dean for Research 1990-1995.
- Professor, U.T. El Paso, 1993-2003.
- Associate Professor, U.T. El Paso, 1987-1993.
- Assistant Professor in Mechanical Engineering, University of Texas at El Paso, 1983-87.
- GS-12 Mechanical Engineer, U. S. Army Corps of Engineers, St. Louis District, 1981-83:
Assisted in the design, implementation and analysis of energy conservation and alternative
energy programs and hardware.
Advisory Boards and Consulting:
• Reviewer for the National Academies; report entitled "Emerging Workforce Trends
in the U.S. Energy and Mining Industries: A Call To Action" 2013
• Washington University Mechanical Engr. External Advisory Board, 2014-present
• King and Spalding, Wind Turbine Consulting, 2012-present
• Weil, Gotshal & Manges, LLP, Wind Turbine Consulting, 2011 – Present
• National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Technical Review, USDA/9006. 2005
• Department of Energy, Wind Energy Program Peer Review Panel, 2003-2005
• National Science Foundation, Review Panel, April 2007.
• National Science Foundation, Review Panel, July 2002.
• El Paso Insights Science Museum, Board of Directors, 2002
• Center for Electro-Mechanics, University of Texas at Austin, 2002-present.
• Mechanical Engineering, Washington University, St. Louis, 2001-present.
• OEM Development Corp., Analysis of the Canon Wind Eagle, 1996.
• Electric Power Research Institute, Palo Alto, California, 1995.
• Department of Energy, Wind Energy Program Peer Review Panel, 1991.
• Wyoming Energy Extension Service, 1986.
• W. Cargal, study to establish a wind power on the Netherlands Antilles Islands,
• Solar Building Corporation, St. Louis, Missouri, 1983.
- American Wind Energy Association - present
- Annual Technical Conference, Session Chair, 1992, 1995. 2010 (Dallas, TX)
- ACT Communications Committee, "Wind-Power 2003, Austin Texas", Subcommittee
- Member Education and Workforce Subcommittee
- Texas Society of Professional Engineers-1997-present
- National Society of Professional Engineers- 1997-present
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Member, Wind Energy Technical Committee, 1993-present
- Chair, Wind Energy Technical Committee, 1991-1993
- Technical Program Chairman, ASME Wind Symposium,1985 and 1986
- Session Chair - 1989, 1991, 1992, 1996
- Member ASME-Energy-Sources Technology and Exhibition Executive Committee, 1986-1996
- Technical Editor, ASME Transactions: Journal of Solar Energy Engineering,
- Solar Ponds and OTEC, 1997-2003
- Texas Renewable Energy Industries Association
- American Society for Engineering Education
- ASEE Engineering Deans Institute, Texas Deans Committee 1995-2003
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- American Association for Higher Education
- American Solar Energy Society (past member)
- Member ASES Local Organizing Committee for ASES 90
- Chair, 3rd International Solar Pond Congress, 1993
- Texas Solar Energy Society (past member)
- Member TxSES Border States Solar Conference Organizing Committee, 1991
- TxSES Board of Directors, 1995-1996
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers