Ph.D. in Wind Science & Engineering
Students accepted in the Wind Science and Engineering (WiSE) Ph.D. program will be generously supported through various funding sources. The support package for qualified students has a range of $18,000 to $25,000 per year.
Special attention is taken to enhance involvement of under-represented students.
Students will be accepted to the WiSE Ph.D. program only after a careful screening. Several measures will be considered for acceptance:
- Academic qualifications,
- Interest in Wind Science and Engineering,
- Diversity, and
- Aptitude for completing the work.
The approach for entry into the WiSE Ph.D. program will be holistic rather than purely academic. One of the innovations in screening the potential students is an on-campus interview with every WiSE Ph.D. candidate. (A phone interview or Skype interview will be arranged when an on-campus interview is not possible.) This interview will inform the potential candidate of the comprehensiveness of the program and the commitment required to complete the degree. The personal interview will allow the admissions committee to make a careful judgment of the students’ abilities, attitude and aptitude.
Students with backgrounds in a variety of fields such as engineering, mathematics, atmospheric sciences, economics, and the physical sciences are prime candidates for this program. Students who come from non-physical sciences backgrounds (e.g., biology, social sciences) may choose to pursue a minor in wind science and engineering while pursuing degrees in their respective disciplines. In these cases, their educational objectives will be integrated closely between their home departments and the WiSE Ph.D. program.
The WiSE Ph.D. program puts special emphasis on placement of doctoral graduates. We expect success in job placement for several reasons:
- The National Wind Institute's reputation places it at the forefront of wind research
- WiSE Ph.D. program graduates will enter the job market as experienced interdisciplinary researchers, well-versed in collaborative efforts and with broad-based technical knowledge
- Our planned course of training will include the key communication skills necessary in today’s professional world.