Professional Development Opportunity: Wind Energy for Teachers
Learn the industry basics and the science behind the blades. Spend some time with energy company personnel and learn from the experts. A limited number of $500 scholarships (which covers the cost of the online course and the one-day excursion at TTU Reese) are available for Texas teachers.
This professional development opportunity includes an online learning component and field excursion. Lunch will be provided.
- Take the online course Wind Energy 101.
Topics included are:
- Overview of the Wind Energy Industry
- The Basics of Energy and Electricity
- Basic Meteorology
- History of Wind Power
- Extracting Energy from the Wind
- Wind Turbine Technology
- Environmental Issues of Wind Energy Development Landowner
- Issues and Considerations for Wind Energy Development
- Wind Energy Utility Interface
- Wind Energy and the Electric Transmission Grid: Issues and Considerations
- Economics of Large Scale Wind Generation
- State and National Energy Policy
Coursework prepares teachers to teach material for several classes. Examples include:
- Energy and Natural Resources Technology
- Professional Standards in Agribusiness
- Advanced Environmental Technology
- Wildlife, Fisheries, and Ecology Management
- Participate in a one-day excursion to Lubbock, Texas, to meet industry leaders.
Tour: April 2: 10:00-3:00
Lubbock - TTU Reese Center
Tour Day Includes:
- Lunch will be provided
- Q&A with wind energy expert
- Ideas for classroom activities
- Facilities tour
- Tour of Alstom Wind Turbine