Facilities and Services

Office of the Dean of Students. The Office of the Dean of Students at Texas Tech, one of the most diverse in its programs and services on campus, provides students with a wide array of opportunities for a better educational experience. The office recognizes Tech's diverse student populations and appreciates the different backgrounds and interests of these populations. This office, along with other academic and administrative departments and the Lubbock community, helps create an environment conducive to creative learning.

The Office of the Dean of Students includes Parent Relations (244 West Hall, 742-3630), Student Life (250 West Hall, 742-2192), and TECHniques Center (Wiggins Dining Complex, 742-1822).

Student Health Services. Student Health Services is a primary care clinic staffed with experienced physicians, nurse practitioners, health educators, and support staff who provide care for minor illnesses and injuries, with a focus on prevention.

Students enrolled for 4 or more semester hours pay a medical services fee that entitles them to necessary visits to Student Health Services and access to other medical services, when appointments are available. A valid Texas Tech ID is required to access the clinic services. A student who is unsure about a medical issue or problem can call 743-2860 and speak to the nursing staff privately and confidentially. If a student is sick and all appointments are taken for the day, an urgent care nurse will advise on care until the student can be seen. Care is provided at Student Health Services in Thompson Hall, and physicians do not make residence hall or house calls. As over 150 appointments are available daily for care, students have a wide variety of choices for appointment times and conflicts with class schedules are very few. Students are not given excuses for missed classes due to a visit to the clinic. Students with a major illness may consult their physician at Student Health and may request an excuse for excessive class absences due to that illness.

Services offered at Student Health include Primary Health Care Clinic, Men's Health Clinic, blood pressure and cholesterol checks, contraceptive counseling and information, pharmacy, anonymous HIV testing and counseling, Women's Health Clinic, immunizations, care for sprains and strains, prescription medications, lifestyle and weight management consultant, and educational information on more than 100 health issues. Offered by referral by a Student Health physician are the Dermatology Clinic, Orthopedic Clinic, and x-ray and laboratory services.

Pharmacy services are conveniently located in the same building. The pharmacy can fill most health care providers' prescriptions, including those written by a family health care provider, and it offers many over-the-counter medications at reduced prices for students. Pharmacy purchases may be charged to major credit cards and Tech Express.

Student Health's Nurse Clinic provides MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella), influenza, tetanus, TB testing, and hepatitis B immunizations at a nominal charge. The University requires that all students born after December 31, 1957, provide proof of two MMR immunizations in their lifetime. The first immunization must have been received on or after the first birthday. The two immunizations must have been received at least 30 days apart. Students must meet this requirement by providing documentation of or receiving the immunization by the 5th week of the first semester of enrollment. Failure to comply with this policy will result in a hold being placed on the student's records. Documentation may be mailed or faxed (743-2122) to Student Health Services or turned in at new student orientation. There is a $5 charge for the MMR immunization. Although it is not a requirement, the Center for Disease Control recommends an annual TB test and the Hepatitis B immunization. These services are available for $7 and $35, respectively. The Health Education department provides information and presentations on health-related topics. Student Health Services also offers anonymous HIV testing and counseling

If seeking emergency, after-hour, or weekend care, please check with local hospitals' emergency rooms or other medical facility of your choice. Student Health Services has arranged for a discounted rate for Texas Tech students at University Medical Center's Emergency Center. Hospital care and outside referrals are not covered by the medical services fee and are the responsibility of the patient.

Student Health Services is not a substitute for major medical insurance. Students should have their own insurance policies or see that they are covered by their parents' insurance. Students who do not have insurance or who are not covered by a family policy may purchase student injury and sickness insurance through a plan offered by the TTU Student Association. Applications may be obtained from Student Health or from the Student Association, Room 230 University Center.

In accordance with state law, a student's medical information is kept completely confidential and cannot be released to anyone without the student's written permission unless otherwise authorized by law. Brochures detailing Student Health Services are available in several locations on campus. Students may contact Student Health at 743-2860 with any questions or concerns. Student Health Services is located in Thompson Hall at Drive of Champions and Flint Avenue on the north end of the campus. Services are available by appointment by calling 743-2848. Appointment hours are 8-5:30, Monday-Friday. Summer and interim hours may vary.

Residence Halls Facilities and Services. The Texas Tech residence hall system includes a variety of living options and provides convenient and affordable housing for approximately 5,500 students. Special interest housing, including Honors, Intensive Study, nonsmoking, and upperclass and graduate areas, provides students with the opportunity to live with others of similar interests. The Carpenter/Wells Complex arranged in three-bedroom townhouses or four-bedroom flats offers private bedrooms in an apartment setting. Gaston Hall Apartments and Doak Hall offer upperclass and graduate students separate living areas. Gordon Hall, a suite-style residence, is designated as the Honors residence hall.

Ethernet computer connections and a private telephone line are available for each resident. Other services include basic cable television service, local telephone service, coin-operated laundry and vending machines, and desk services.

An experienced and trained staff of Residence Life Directors and Resident Assistants manages the residence halls. Each hall office provides assistance to residents with concerns, including maintenance requests, room and roommate assignments, and resource information.

The interests of students living on campus are promoted through the Residence Halls Association and individual hall governments. Each hall government sponsors social, cultural, educational, and recreational activities.

Dining services for on-campus residents provides a wide variety of choices. Students may dine in any of the conveniently located dining halls or in the new food court, the Market at Stangel/Murdough. Twenty meals are served each week. The evening meal on Sunday is not provided, nor are meals served during the Thanksgiving, Christmas, or spring vacation periods. Residents may choose the full board (20 meals per week) or a reduced meal plan. Regular and theme (Mexican, Italian, Asian, etc.) menus are offered in five dining halls. The Market at Stangel/Murdough and Sam's Place in Carpenter/Wells provide late or after-hours, dine-in, or carry-out options.

Residence Hall Reservations. Residence halls, like all other services and facilities of Texas Tech, are available to all students regardless of race, creed, national origin, age, sex, or disability. Applications for housing are accepted up to one year in advance of enrollment in the University. Students may apply for housing before being admitted to the University.

To receive a higher priority for room assignment, all students are encouraged to submit the Residence Hall Application specifying their preferred hall choices as early as possible. The date the application is received determines the priority for room assignment. Space in the University residence halls is reserved on a first-come, first-served basis. All students who apply for accommodations in the residence halls and are accepted sign a Residence Hall Contract for the full academic year. A limited number of one-semester contracts are available to upperclass and graduate students upon request. A contract will be mailed to new students after the application and required fees have been received.

Room and roommate assignments for new students are made in June after continuing students in the residence halls have completed reassignments for the following year. Roommate requests are granted when space is available, if the request is mutual and if both applications are received at or about the same time. Graduate students may request a single (private) room if preferred. All specific requests will be considered when space is available.

Room and Board Rates. Rates for room and board are based on a per-person charge and are established by the University Board of Regents in February of each year. For reference purposes, the rates for the 1999-2000 academic year are listed below. Rates are for a double room and the basic 20 meals-per-week plan (excluding state and local taxes):

Non-air-conditioned halls:

Bledsoe, *Doak, *Gaston, Sneed -- $3,997

Air-conditioned halls:

Chitwood, Clement, Coleman, *Gaston,

Gates, Horn, Hulen, Knapp, Murdough,

Stangel, Wall, Weymouth -- $4,630

Air-conditioned suites:

Gordon -- $4,814

**Carpenter/Wells Complex

3-bedroom townhouse -- $5,397

4-bedroom flat -- $5,186

*Doak and Gaston residents add $33 for continuous housing between fall and spring semesters.

**Rates are for a single room and the basic 20 meals-per-week plan.

Single room charges (except Carpenter/Wells) range from $770 to $812 per academic year.

For assistance or to obtain a residence hall application, contact the Department of Housing and Dining Services, Box 41141, Lubbock, TX 79409-1141, 806-742-2661, or <www.hous.ttu.edu>.

Career Planning and Placement Center. Graduate students are strongly encouraged to use the services available through the University's centralized Career Planning and Placement Center. A number of services including career counseling, on-campus interviewing opportunities, Career Opportunity Bulletins, an extensive seminar series, the establishment of placement credentials, a career planning and placement library, and Career Days are available without charge to graduate students. All graduate students are urged to participate in the center's activities and take full advantage of the services that will be most helpful to them. The center is located in 335 West Hall, 806-742-2210.

Libraries. The mission of the University Library, the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, and the Architecture Library is to support the University's teaching, research, and service mission and its quest for excellence in all endeavors; to be recognized research libraries of distinction as evidenced by high quality collections and service, supportive and caring environment, and cordial interactions with the people it serves, both on campus and in the larger community; to provide and promote the use of information resources needed by the University's students, faculty, and staff; to provide information resources by participating in reciprocal borrowing agreements among libraries in the state and nation; and to support the American Library Association's Library Bill of Rights and Code of Ethics, which provide for freedom of access to collections and confidentiality of user records. The libraries are also committed to serving the resource needs of TTU distance students.

The libraries contain over 2.1 million volumes, approximately 21,000 subscriptions, and nearly 2 million units of microform. The government documents collections is one of two regional depositories for U.S. government documents in Texas. The libraries are also a Patent and Trademark Depository.

The newly constructed Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library features a regional depository for historical information pertaining to West Texas and the Southwest, as well as the Vietnam Archive, the University Archives, and other special collections and rare books. The University Library houses the Archive of Turkish Oral Narrative and the Institute for Studies in Pragmaticism. The University Library is undergoing a comprehensive renovation, scheduled to be completed in 2000.

In addition to traditional print material, microforms, and audio-video formats, the libraries offer many electronic resources. The library Web page <http://www.lib.ttu.edu> provides access to the on-line catalog for the University Library, Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, Law Library, International Cultural Center Library, and Architecture Library. It also provides access to the catalogs of other research libraries, as well as the TTU Health Sciences Library and the Lubbock City-County Library. The library Web page provides full text access to over 1,600 journals in a variety of electronic databases and full text journal collections. Electronic collections cover all subject areas and include Project MUSE, IDEAL, Lexis-Nexis Academic UNIVerse, Cambridge Scientific Abstracts, Encyclopedia Britannica, JSTOR, Statistical Universe, Ei Village, MathSciNet, and many more. On-line resources are available from all PC's in each of the TTU libraries, as well as by remote access.

Graduate student consultations are conducted on an individual basis with liaison librarians assigned to each academic department and college. Individual study carrels are available to students at the thesis or dissertation stage of their programs or on an as-needed basis. The libraries subsidize all charges by a lending library for interlibrary loans and for articles provided by a commercial supplier. Reciprocal borrowing agreements allow Texas Tech students to use libraries at nearly all Texas public colleges and universities, as well as some private institutions.

Museum. The Museum of Texas Tech University is an American Association of Museums accredited general museum consisting of the main Museum building, the Moody Planetarium, the Lubbock Lake Landmark, and the Natural Science Research Laboratory.

The Museum mounts temporary and permanent exhibits in the social and natural sciences and the visual arts. The Lubbock Lake Landmark contains a complete cultural sequence from Clovis (12,000 years ago) through historic times. The Moody Planetarium offers public and specially designed school programs. The Natural Science Research Laboratory affords research opportunities in botany, entomology, herpetology, ichthyology, mammalogy, ornithology, and vertebrate paleontology.

A Master of Arts degree in Museum Science is offered as an academic component of the Museum. The graduate program emphasizes thorough preparation in the broad spectrum of museum theory and practice and leads to a Master of Arts degree. Graduates from the program have a comprehensive background in museum studies, preparing them as generalists. In addition, students may elect to become specialists in a number of subdisciplines including collection management and care; exhibitions and interpretation; museology; museum management; and curatorship in anthropology, art, ethnology, history, and the natural sciences.

Curatorsmost of whom hold joint appointments in University academic departmentsare involved in research. The results of their research periodically appear in the Special Publications and Occasional Papers series produced by the Museum.

The Museum of Texas Tech University Association contributes significant amounts of monetary and volunteer support to the Museum. In addition, the association publishes The Museum Digest and the Museum Journal. The Museum publishes a quarterly newsletter, MuseNews.

The Museum is open Tuesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Thursday evening until 8:30 p.m.), Sunday, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., and is closed Monday. The Museum is closed on state authorized holidays. Planetarium shows are at 3:30 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 7:30 p.m. Thursday, and 2 and 3:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.

Computing Services. Current faculty, staff, and students have access to IBM (MVS), Compaq (OpenVMS/Alphaserver), and UNIX computing systems, as well as various types of microcomputers for use in their education, research, and administrative activities. Personal Computing Accounts (PCA's) also give faculty, staff, and students access to e-mail and personal Web pages.

Academic Computing Services (ACS), based in the Advanced Technology Learning Center (ATLC) in the west, lower level of the Library, provides access to state-of-the-art large systems, servers, and microcomputer equipment and services. Microcomputers available in ATLC labs include Apple Power Mac, iMAC, and Dell PC systems. Telnet access to the Compaq VMScluster and the IBM system is available in the ATLC and in most academic buildings. The OpenVMS systems on TTUnet, the campus network, serve as the primary academic large-system computing resource for instruction and research. Services on the OpenVMS systems include general-purpose computing, (programming languages, statistical programs, and laser printing). ATLC resources include four instructional and general-use labs, an open-access computing area, a teleconference room, a Help Desk, a print dispatch area, and a 24-hour computing lab (ATLC West, located in the Chitwood/Weymouth complex).

ACS Help Desk support personnel assist users with a wide range of academic computing problems. Staff consultants teach shortcourses and help users with in-depth problems on the various computing resources available from ACS and University Computing Services (UCS). ACS produces both printed and on-line documentation, including four newsletters a year, a campus computing magazine, help guides, and manuals on ACS computing systems and services. Most documentation is made available on the Internet as well. ACS systems are used also to provide Web hosting and other www services for individuals and departments at Texas Tech.

Academic departments also provide computing resources for students and faculty in their areas.

Internet access is available for use by computing and network account holders. Messages and files may be transferred to other universities and other research organizations in Texas, the United States, and other countries. Access to on-line catalogs for Texas Tech libraries is provided via the TTUnet academic network. Dial-up (PPP) and World-Wide Web (WWW) services are available on TTUnet.

UCS operates an IBM 9672-R26 mainframe system supporting administrative, instructional, and research activities and offers such services as general-purpose computation, laser printing, optical scanning, and tape rental and storage.

For more information on the systems and software supported by Academic Computing Services and University Computing Services, visit the ACS Web site at <http://www.acs.ttu.edu/>.

Southwest Collection. The Southwest Collection and Special Collections Library is comprised of rare books, the University archive, the Vietnam Archive, the Archive of Turkish Oral Narrative, and the Southwest Collection. The Southwest Collection is the regional repository for historical information pertaining to West Texas and the Southwest. It has collected and makes available for research more than 1,600 collections of personal papers, and noncurrent business and institutional records, as well as a noncirculating library of Texana, Western Americana, maps, periodicals, photographs, newspapers, taped interviews, films, videotapes, and microfilm.

All materials may be used by both the University community and the general public for research or reference. The Southwest Collection is located in the new Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library Building north of the University Library. Service is provided 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday, Wednesday, and Friday; 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., Tuesday and Thursday; and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday. Inquiries and donations are welcomed. Tours are available.

Research Centers and Institutes. In addition to extensive research activity on the part of its individual faculty, the University sponsors sixty institutes and centers that conduct both basic and applied research and provide various services to the public. A list of these follows:


Center for Applied Acoustics Research and

Center for Applied Petrophysical Studies

Center for Biotechnology and Genomics

Center for Health Care Strategy

Center for High Performance Computing

Center for Systems Solutions

Fire Ecology Center

Institute for the Development and Enrichment of Advanced Learners (IDEAL)

International Center for Arid and Semiarid Land Studies

International Center for Informatics Research

Software Engineering Research, Training, and Education Center

Space Science Research Institute

Teaching, Learning, and Technology Center

The Institute of Environmental and Human Health

Wind Engineering Research Center

Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources

Center for Agricultural Technology Transfer

Center for Feed and Industry Research and Education

Cotton Economics Research Institute

Institute for Research in Plant Stress

International Textile Center

Pork Industry Institute for Research and Education

Thornton Agricultural Finance Institute

Wildlife and Fisheries Management Institute


Architecture Research Center

Arts and Sciences

Center for Applied International Development Studies

Center for Applied Systems Analysis

Center for Forensic Studies

Center for Historic Preservation and Technology

Center for Petroleum Mathematics

Center for Public Service

Center for the Interaction of the Arts and Sciences

Center for the Study of Regional Economic and Industrial Development

Center of Sports Health and Human Performance

Cooperative Institute for Convective Meteorology Studies

Institute for Communications Research

Institute for the Mathematics of the Life Sciences

Institute for Studies in Pragmaticism

Leather Research Institute

Southwest Center for German Studies

The Vietnam Center

Business Administration

Center for Entrepreneurial and Family Business

Center for Professional Development

Institute for Banking and Financial Studies

Institute for Leadership Research

Northwest Texas International Trade Center

Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center

Texas Center for Productivity and Quality of Work Life


Virginia Murray Sowell Center for Research

and Education in Visual Impairment


Center for Applied Research in Industrial

Automation and Robotics

Center for Energy Research

Center for Multidisciplinary Research in Transportation

Institute for Design and Advanced Technology

Institute for Disaster Research

Institute for Ergonomics Research

MRI Petrophysical Applications Center

Murdough Center for Engineering Professionalism

Rural Airborne Particulate Matter Research Center

Sensor Systems Center

Water Resources Center

Human Sciences

Center for Financial Responsibility

Center for the Study of Addiction

Child Development Research Center

Home Economics Curriculum Center

Institute for Child and Family Studies

Texas Wine Marketing Research Institute

Office of International Affairs. The Office of International Affairs (OIA) is composed of the Division of International Education Programs, the International Center for Arid and Semiarid Land Studies (ICASALS), the Division of Public Education, the International Cultural Center, and several support units. OIA facilitates programs that bring an international dimension to the University's roles in teaching, research, and public service. OIA works with and assists the various units of the University, coordinating international activities at Texas Tech.

The international education division provides information, counseling, and advisement to international students on all noncurricular issues including immigration regulations, financial issues, personal concerns, and general American academic questions. The office also coordinates cross-cultural programming and other extracurricular activities with campus- and community-based organizations to facilitate development of cross-cultural understanding. OIA offers customized services to sponsoring agencies and students. Services to sponsoring agencies include monitoring of placement, customized billing procedures, timely reports, special program design, and maintenance of communications. Special counseling and advising, orientation, and administrative services are provided to sponsored students. An administrative fee of at least $250 per semester and $125 per summer term attended is charged for sponsored students. See also the Overseas Resource Center section, which follows. The public education division, funded through the University by an external support group, provides an outreach program of an international dimension for students K-12 in West Texas. ICASALS provides special research and development projects for faculty, staff, and students (see the ICASALS entry for additional information). The International Cultural Center houses all units of the Office of International Affairs; a library featuring specialized publications, videotapes, and CD-ROMs; the CNN World Report Television Archive; and the area studies programs of the University. It offers attractive facilities for all types of meetings, conferences, and special events and represents the University's commitment to internationalization.

Overseas Resource Center. A period of time spent studying abroad is one of the most effective means of increasing one's understanding of other peoples and cultures, improving one's ability to speak other languages, studying the problems and approaches to problems that are specific to other areas of the world, and gaining a new understanding of one's own society and culture. In today's globalization, experience abroad is becoming essential if one is to be competitive in the job market. The foreign language departments of the University regularly sponsor overseas summer programs for their students; many other departments offer overseas programs as well.

The Overseas Resource Center, a unit of the Office of International Affairs, is housed in the International Cultural Center and coordinates reciprocal student exchanges with universities in England, France, Germany, Mexico, Spain, and Turkey, to name a few. These types of exchanges allow qualified Texas Tech students to exchange places with students from other countries for a year or a semester and to receive credit for their academic work. The cost of these exchanges is usually much less than that of many other education abroad programs.

Graduating seniors and graduate students may obtain information and applications for Fulbright Grants and Rhodes Scholarships in the Overseas Resource Center. Applications for these awards must be submitted in October for the following academic year. The center also maintains reference books that provide information on other scholarships and grants for study and research abroad.

In addition to coordinating programs, the center maintains a reference library of catalogs and announcements of overseas educational programs. These programs include those offered by Texas Tech University departments as well as those sponsored by other institutions. The staff of the center helps students clarify their objectives for overseas study and assists them in identifying educationally sound programs. Students may also receive guidance in applying for their chosen programs. Students who wish to study overseas are advised to begin planning at least a year in advance of their departure date.

Archive of Turkish Oral Narrative. The archive is a research facility devoted to the study of Turkish folktales and related narrative forms: folk history, legends, folk minstrelsy, and myths. Its extensive holdingsin Turkish on magnetic tape, in English in bound typescript volumesand its support services for researchers are unique. Books, articles, papers, and recorded programs produced from archive materials flow from scholars in this country and abroad.

Located on the third floor of the Texas Tech University Library, the archive makes available a conference room, audio-visual equipment, and comfortable work space for the use of students, faculty, and the general public. It is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., and at other times by special arrangement. Queries for information and requests for materials may be written or telephoned to the curator.

Academic Common Market Program. Texas Tech participates with 12 other southern states in the Academic Common Market, a reciprocal agreement for sharing uncommon curricula. Students from these states who are admitted into approved out-of-state programs qualify for resident tuition. Two steps are necessary to qualify: (1) applicants must be accepted into a program for which an interstate agreement has been arranged and (2) applicants must submit proof of legal residency in a member state to the university where he or she has been accepted (such documentation is provided by the ACM coordinator in the student's home state; a list of state coordinators is available from the Southern Regional Education Board, 1340 Spring Street, N.W., Atlanta, Georgia 30309).

Graduate programs at Texas Tech University and the member states from which qualified students may gain resident tuition are:

Master of Architecture (Alabama, Kentucky)

Master of Science, Doctor of PhilosophyRange Science (Arkansas, Louisiana)

Doctor of PhilosophyFine Arts (Arkansas, Louisiana, Tennessee, Virginia)

Doctor of PhilosophyHome Economics Education (Kentucky)

Doctor of PhilosophyLand-Use Planning, Management, and Design (Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Virginia)

Doctor of PhilosophyMarriage and Family Therapy (Kentucky)

Doctor of PhilosophyTechnical Communication and Rhetoric (Tennessee)

Further information about the ACM program in Texas may be obtained from the Program Development Division of Senior Colleges and Universities, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, Box 12788, Capitol Station, Texas 78711.

Financial Assistance.

University Assistantships

(Available in most departments)

Teaching Assistantships

Research Assistantships

Federal Traineeships and Research Assistantships

Center for Public Service (Public Service Fellowships)

Special Fellowships

Available in a number of departments

University Counseling Center Positions

Counseling Assistantships

Reading Instructorships

Residence Hall Positions

Head Residentships

Resident Assistantships

Other Assistance

Texas Public Education Grant awards

Stafford, Perkins, and other loans

Inquiries concerning assistantships, traineeships, and fellowships (which frequently are subject to annual renewal by granting agencies) should be addressed to the chairperson of the department concerned. For information about residence hall positions, contact the University Housing Office. Information on other financial assistance is available from the Director of Student Financial Aid and from the Graduate School.

Military Service Programs. Although they do not offer graduate courses or degrees, Texas Tech's Departments of Aerospace Studies and Military Science offer commissioning programs for which graduate students may qualify if their graduate studies will extend for at least four full semesters not including summer school. Students who have successfully completed the ROTC Basic Course or who qualify through prior service may enter directly into the Advanced Program. Others may qualify by attending a six-week (military) or five-week (aerospace) summer camp. Financial assistance may be available. For further information, inquire directly of the appropriate department.

Return to Main Directory
Page Maintained by: Cheryl Hedlund

Page Administrator: Gale Richardson

LAST UPDATE: 11-22-99