Academic Information

Academic Regulations

Core Curriculum. The university established general education requirements for all undergraduate students effective fall semester 1989. These requirements are designed to ensure breadth in all baccalaureate programs. A complete listing of Core Curriculum requirements appears in the catalog section entitled All-University Programs.

Students who acquired college credit prior to fall 1989 may be exempt. The student should consult his or her academic dean. Students should choose only those Core Curriculum courses that follow their degree plans.

Classification of Students. A student is classified according to the following: freshman, 0-29 hours completed; sophomore, 30-59; junior, 60-89; senior, 90-completion of degree requirements. The two ranks, junior and senior, are often referred to as "upperclass" and "advanced." A student who is enrolled for 12 or more credit hours per semester is considered a full-time student; one enrolled for fewer than 12 hours is considered a part-time student. A freshman may have remedial courses (numbered 0301 or 0302) counted as part of a full course load although these courses do not count toward a degree.

A student is considered to be making satisfactory progress toward a degree objective when he or she completes at least 12 credit hours in each semester, achieves a grade point average of 2.00 or higher in each semester, and maintains an overall grade point average of 2.00 or higher.

Semester Hours and Course Loads. The semester hour is the unit of measure for credit purposes. The student is expected to spend approximately two hours in preparation for each hour of lecture or recitation.

The maximum number of semester hours a student may carry (course load) without specific permission of the academic dean are: 19 hours per long semester; 16 hours per long semester for students on scholastic probation; 8 hours per summer term. In determining a greater load, the dean considers the quality of scholastic work performed by the student, the types of courses involved, the student's health, and extracurricular interests and activities.

Quarter Hour Conversion. Quarter credit hours are converted to semester credit hours by multiplying the number of quarter hours by two-thirds (or .67). Since a fraction of a credit hour cannot be awarded, the remaining fraction of semester hour credit is rounded to the nearest whole number from the tenth's position of the decimal. For example, 5 quarter hours are equivalent to 3.4 semester hours which in turn will be rounded to 3 semester hours of credit: 5 quarter hours x .67 = 3.4 semester hours 3 semester hours. Applicability of transfer credit towards degree requirements at Texas Tech University will be at the discretion of the student's academic dean.

Enrollment in One of the Colleges or Schools. Each student accepted for admission will enroll in one of the colleges or schools of the university: Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, Architecture, Arts and Sciences, Business Administration, Education, Engineering, Honors, Human Sciences, Law, or Graduate. The student should consult the dean of the college or school whenever any question arises concerning academic status. Matters specifically requiring the academic dean's approval include:

Course load and schedule

Changes in schedule, including dropping and adding courses

Withdrawal and honorable dismissal from the university

Graduation requirements and candidacy for a degree.

University Transition Advisement Center (UTAC). Academic advisors at UTAC assist students in the decision-making process through choosing an appropriate major, assisting students in course selection, answering questions about university policies, and advising these four specific student populations: Arts and Sciences Undeclared (ASUD) through 60 hours; Prelaw through 18 hours; General Studies through 29 hours; and provisionally admitted students. For information, come by 79 Holden Hall; call (806) 742-2189; fax (806) 742-2200; or e-mail <>.

Academic Advisement. Academic advising services at Texas Tech University are offered through UTAC (University Transition Advisement Center) in 79 Holden Hall and within each academic college and/or major. While students are responsible for their academic progress, academic advisors assist them with appropriate information for matriculation to graduation. The role of academic advisors is to develop dialog through which students can gain insight and explore academic, career, and life goals. A part of academic advising is a decision-making process in which students are guided toward making informed choices that lead to graduation. Advisors advocate for students in the university system, help students thrive in a large university setting, and serve as resource brokers for the university community and beyond. Helping to plan a class schedule is only one function of the academic advising process.

Advisors' Responsibilities. Advisors are responsible for providing a process through which students can explore educational and career opportunities offered by the university. Advisors' responsibilities include the following:

Provide students with accurate information concerning academic policies and procedures.

Provide an opportunity for students to discuss educational and career goals.

Assist students in developing a degree plan.

Help students develop a long-term program for satisfying the requirements of the degree plan.

Assist students in selecting and sequencing course work.

Heighten awareness of campus resources that may be used to help students achieve success in college.

Use developmental advising as a tool in the retention process.

Provide students with a caring person who may serve as a role model throughout their college experience.

Encourage scheduled appointments prior to registration and throughout the semester in order to promote thoughtful planning.

Orient students to college life and inspire them to achieve excellence.

Help students understand the need to acquire an education versus a credential.

Keep an accurate, well-documented file relative to advising activities for each student.

Maintain confidentiality in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974.

Students' Responsibilities. Students are expected to be an active and responsible participant in the advising process with the following behavior:

Make and keep appointments.

Become familiar with applicable sections of the Undergraduate Catalog.

Use various student services provided to enhance success.

Complete all required paperwork and adhere to university deadlines.

Keep advisors informed about any circumstances that could influence academic performance such as work schedules, illness, family, or other personal situations.

Take an active role in decision-making concerning academic progress.

Create a class schedule based on the selection of courses decided upon during the advising session.

Notify advisors as soon as is practical when a grade of D or F is received so that the impact on future schedules can be evaluated.

Consult with advisors prior to dropping any course.

Read the fine print in the Undergraduate Catalog, Schedule of Classes, and other official documents.

Keep a record of all contacts with the university.

Dropping a Course. Students may officially drop a course in which they are enrolled through the 30th class day of a long semester or the 12th class day of a summer term and receive the grade of W regardless of their progress in the class. After the 30th class day (12th for summer), the grade of W or WF will be given by the instructor, depending on the student's progress. Students cannot drop courses within 5 days before the first day of the final examination period during the long semester or 3 days in the summer.

Change of College. Students who wish to transfer from one college of the university to another should contact the academic dean of the college to which they plan to transfer to make sure that they can meet all enrollment requirements. The student then completes an academic transfer form in the receiving dean's office. The last day to change college is the last day to drop a course or withdraw from the university.

Change of Address. Each student is responsible for maintaining his or her correct address on file in the Office of Admissions and Records. Change of address forms are available in that office, and other campus departments will be notified when such a form is filed. Students required by the housing residence rules to live on campus may not move off campus during the semester without approval from the Department of Housing and Dining Services.

Administrative Holds. By failing to meet certain obligations to the university, a student may be denied registration and/or a transcript until the administrative hold is cleared.

Administrative holds may be placed on a student's record because of an outstanding debt to the university, disciplinary action, academic suspension, incomplete admission forms or substandard test scores, etc. It is the student's responsibility to get the hold released, which can be accomplished by meeting the requirements of the department placing the hold.

Status of holds on students' records for students who have attended Texas Tech since August 1983 may be obtained by using the Web at <>.

Class Attendance. Responsibility for class attendance rests with the student. Regular and punctual attendance at all scheduled classes is expected, and the university reserves the right to deal at any time with individual cases of nonattendance. Instructors set attendance policy for each course they teach. Instructors should state clearly in their syllabi their policy regarding student absences and how absences affect grades. Excessive absences constitute cause for dropping a student from class; in such cases the grade of WF may be given.

In the event of excessive absences, the student must visit the instructor to discuss his or her status in the course. If it is decided that the student should drop the course, the instructor will then assign a grade of W or WF (see sections on dropping a course and on withdrawal). In extreme cases the academic dean may suspend the student from the university.

Department chairpersons, directors, or others responsible for a student representing the university on officially approved trips should notify the student's instructors of the departure and return schedules in advance. The instructor so notified must not penalize the student, although the student is responsible for material missed. Students absent because of university business must be given the same privileges as other students; i.e., if other students are given the choice of dropping one of four tests, then students with excused absences must be given the same privilege.

Reporting Illness. In case of an illness that will require absence from class for more than one week, the student should notify his or her academic dean. The dean's office will inform the student's instructors through the departmental office. In case of class absences because of a brief illness, the student should inform the instructor directly. Other information related to illness is found in the Student Affairs Handbook and the Residence Halls Handbook.

Absence Due to Religious Observance. A student who is absent from classes for the observance of a religious holy day, according to the legal definition, will be allowed to take an examination or complete an assignment scheduled for that day within a reasonable time after the absence if, not later than the 15th day after the first day of the semester, the student has notified the instructor of each scheduled class that the student will be absent for a religious holy day.

This notification will be in writing and will be delivered by the student personally to the instructor of each class, with receipt of the notification acknowledged and dated by the instructor, or by certified mail, return receipt requested, addressed to the instructor of each class.

A student who is excused under this policy must not be penalized for the absence, but the instructor may appropriately respond if the student fails to satisfactorily complete the assignment.

Academic Integrity. It is the aim of the faculty of Texas Tech University to foster a spirit of complete honesty and a high standard of integrity. The attempt of students to present as their own any work that they have not honestly performed is regarded by the faculty and administration as a serious offense and renders the offenders liable to serious consequences, possibly suspension.

The instructor in a course is responsible for initiating action for dishonesty or plagiarism that occurs in his or her class. In cases of convincing evidence of or admitted academic dishonesty or plagiarism, an instructor should take appropriate action. Before taking such action, however, the instructor should attempt to discuss the matter with the student. If cheating is suspected on a final exam, the instructor should not submit a grade until a reasonable attempt can be made to contact the student, preferably within one month after the end of the semester. See the section on "Academic Conduct" in the Code of Student Conduct for details of this policy.

1. Cheating: Dishonesty on examinations and quizzes or on written assignments, illegal possession of examinations, the use of unauthorized notes during an examination or quiz, obtaining information during an examination from the examination paper or otherwise from another student, assisting others to cheat, alteration of grade records, illegal entry to or unauthorized presence in an office are instances of cheating.

Complete honesty is required of students in the presentation of any and all phases of course work as their own. This applies to quizzes of whatever length as well as to final examinations, daily reports, lab work, and term papers.

2. Plagiarism: Offering the work of another as one's own, without proper acknowledgment, is plagiarism; therefore, any student who fails to give credit for quotations or an essentially identical expression of material taken from books, encyclopedias, magazines, and other reference works, or from the themes, reports, or other writings of a fellow student, is guilty of plagiarism.

Civility in the Classroom. Students are expected to assist in maintaining a classroom environment that is conducive to learning. In order to ensure that all students have the opportunity to gain from time spent in class, faculty members are encouraged to include a statement in their course syllabus relating to behavioral expectations in the classroom. More information on this subject is available on-line at <>.

Grading Practices. A grade is assigned for all courses in which a student is regularly enrolled during any semester or summer term. Only through regular enrollment can a grade be earned. A passing grade may be earned only if the student is enrolled for the duration of the course, and a grade, once given, may not be changed without the approval of the student's dean.

The instructor of record determines all grades for a course. The method of determining a grade will be included in the course syllabus that is to be presented to the students at the beginning of the semester.

The grades used, including plus and minus, with their interpretations, are A, excellent; B, good; C, average; D, inferior (passing, but not necessarily satisfying degree requirements); F, failure; P, passing; PR, in progress; I, incomplete; W, withdrawal; WF, withdrawal failing. The letter R designates a course repeated to remove an I.

The grade of PR is given only when the work in a course extends beyond the semester or term; it implies satisfactory performance and is used primarily in individual study courses.

The grades of CR, credit, and NC, no credit, are given in certain instances.

The grade of I is given only when a student's work is satisfactory in quality but, due to reasons beyond his or her control, has not been completed. It is not given instead of an F. The instructor assigning the grade will stipulate, in writing, at the time the grade is given the conditions under which the I may be removed. The I will remain on record until the faculty member submits a new grade. The I may be replaced by an R if the course is repeated. The appropriate grade will be given for the second registration.

The grade of W is given for a course officially dropped during the first six weeks of a term. A student should continue to attend a class until authorized by the academic dean to drop a course. The grade of WF is given when the student drops a course after the first 30 days of a term (12 days in summer) if the student is not passing the course at the time of the drop. A grade of WF will be given when the student is required by the dean to drop a course for failure to attend the class or for other reasons.

An NP is given if the student has not paid certain fees by the end of the semester. If the student subsequently pays the delinquent fees, Student Business Services will notify the Registrar, who will then record the academic grade earned.

Grade Appeals. A student who wishes to appeal a course grade should first consult with the course instructor, then with the department chairperson, and then, if the matter has not been resolved, with the dean of the college in which the course is offered. A grade appeal must be filed in the office of the dean of the college in which the course is offered within 45 days of the start of the next long semester after the term in which the disputed grade was received. Copies of the grade appeals policy can be obtained from any academic dean's office or from the Office of the Dean of Students.

Semester Grade Reports. At the close of each semester and each summer term, final course grades are mailed to all students at their permanent home addresses. A copy is also available in the Registrar's Office. Changes in the mailing address for grade reports may be filed on the proper form provided in the Registrar's Office or on the Texas Tech students' Web site. Students may access their semester grades on the Web.

Grade Points. The grades of A, B, C, and D carry with them grade points of 4, 3, 2, and 1, respectively, for each semester hour of credit value of the course in which the grade is received. All other grades have no grade points assigned them.

Grade Point Averages. The current grade point average is determined by dividing the total number of grade points acquired during that semester by the total number of semester hours of all courses in which the student was registered in that semester, exclusive of courses in which grades such as W, I, P, CR, and PR are received. In the same manner, the cumulative grade point average is obtained by dividing the total number of grade points earned in all courses for which the student has registered at this university, including hours of F and WF.

With the approval of the student's dean, a grade point deficiency in degree requirements may be made up by earning sufficient grade points in additional courses.

Only courses taken and grades received at this university are used in calculating grade point averages.

Grade Replacement Policy. After a course has been retaken at Texas Tech, a student may apply to the Registrar for grade replacement. This policy applies to students enrolled at the university during spring 1993 or thereafter and applies only to those who have not received a baccalaureate degree at the time of the request.

The grade replacement is for the purpose of providing an adjusted grade point average. The most recent passing grade will replace all previous grades in that course. The cumulative adjusted GPA will be posted on the bottom of the student's transcript. A notation will indicate the original course that is being replaced. The original grade and original cumulative GPA will remain. The cumulative (not the adjusted) GPA will be used for honors.

An application may be obtained and initiated by the student in the Office of the Registrar after the current semester academic procedures have been completed. The four parts of the form are for the dean's office, the student's academic home department, the student, and the original for the Registrar. Students may apply after the passing grade is received in the replacing course. A student wanting to replace a grade received before fall 1983 should contact the student's academic dean's office.

Adjusted Grade Point Average. A student placed on scholastic suspension or probation at the end of the semester will not be removed from suspension on the basis of grade replacements that can be or are made after the semester grades are reported. However, a college may on this basis grant a student permission to attend while on suspension.

Pass-Fail Option. Undergraduate students may take up to 13 elective semester hours toward satisfying degree requirements in which they will be graded on a pass-fail basis. Courses specified in the catalog as available only with pass-fail grading and courses taken in excess of degree requirements are not included in the 13-hour restriction. Freshman Seminar (I S 1100) cannot be taken pass-fail.

A college may further restrict the pass-fail option but may not broaden it beyond elective courses.

No student on probation will be allowed the pass-fail option.

Students wishing to take a course pass-fail should contact the academic dean's office of the college in which they are enrolled. A student must declare the intent to take a course pass-fail no later than the last day on which a grade of W is automatically given for courses dropped. A student who has chosen to take a course pass-fail may not subsequently change to a letter graded basis. A grade of F received on a course taken pass-fail will be computed into the grade point average.

The names of students taking a course pass-fail will not be made known to the instructor.

An exception to the above-stated rules applies to students who have had two years of one foreign language in high school and who enroll in the same foreign language at the 1501 level even though a 1507 course is available. Those students taking the 1501 course are required to take it pass-fail.

Courses taken in the declared major or minor shall not be taken by pass-fail unless required by the department. The department of the major or minor will decide whether courses taken under the pass-fail system, before a student has declared a major or minor, shall count toward satisfying the degree requirements.

Credit by Examination for Matriculated Students. With the approval of their academic dean, matriculated students in the university may attempt examinations on courses in which they think they have acquired the basic knowledge. Certain CEEB nationally standardized tests and departmental examinations are available for matriculated students to attempt credit by examination in undergraduate courses (see section entitled "Undergraduate Credit by Examination").

Honor Rolls. Full-time undergraduate students who earn a grade point average of 4.0 during a semester are eligible for the President's Honor Roll. Those who earn a GPA of 3.5 or higher during a semester are eligible for the Dean's Honor List of the college in which they are enrolled during that semester. For these acknowledgments, students must be enrolled for at least 12 hours, excluding any courses graded pass-fail.

Graduation With Honors. Members of a graduating class who complete their work with a cumulative grade point average of 3.9 or above are graduated Summa Cum Laude; those who complete their work with a GPA of 3.7 to 3.89 are graduated Magna Cum Laude; and those who complete their work with a GPA of 3.5 to 3.69 are graduated Cum Laude. Appropriate designation of the honor is made on the diploma and on the commencement program. No person is considered for graduation honors unless at least one-half of the degree credit has been completed at this institution, and the half must include the senior year. Only grades earned at Texas Tech are counted, and only the cumulative GPA is used to calculate honors.

Honors Studies. Honors courses are available to students in all undergraduate colleges. Interested students should consult the Dean of Honors or their college advisors.

Academic Status. Students may continue enrollment according to the regulations described below.

Students are expected to maintain cumulative and current semester grade point averages or adjusted grade point averages of 2.0 or above. Some academic programs have requirements over and above the cumulative GPA of 2.0. A student whose cumulative GPA is above 2.0 but whose current semester GPA is below 2.0 should seek advice and counsel from his or her academic dean.

Scholastic Probation. A student whose adjusted GPA is below 2.0 will be placed on "scholastic probation." Such a student may not enroll for more than 16 hours without prior approval of the academic dean. In addition, the student must continue to seek regularly scheduled advice and counsel from an academic advisor or the dean. Any freshman whose fall semester GPA is below 2.0 is required to successfully complete XL 0201, Strategies for Learning, in the immediately following spring semester. A nonrefundable fee of $100 will be collected for this course.

Continued Scholastic Probation. A probationary student whose current GPA is 2.0 or higher but whose adjusted GPA is below 2.0 will be placed on "continued scholastic probation." A student will remain on continued scholastic probation until the adjusted GPA is 2.0 or higher.

Scholastic Suspension. A probationary student enrolled in the fall or spring semester who has a current and an adjusted GPA below 2.0 will be placed on suspension. Grade replacement will not alter a previous probation or suspension. However, a suspended student who attains an adjusted GPA of 2.0 or higher after official grades have been submitted and academic status has been determined may be allowed to attend Texas Tech upon appeal to the associate academic dean.

Students on scholastic suspension may seek reinstatement after a minimum of one semester. The summer session is considered to be a semester for the purpose of serving a suspension. Students who have received more than one suspension may seek reinstatement after two semesters. Reinstatement granted after suspension will be probationary. Students who apply for readmission following suspension will be required to undergo such testing and counseling as the academic dean considers necessary. Students who are readmitted after first suspension will be required to successfully complete XL 0201, "Strategies for Learning," during the first semester of their readmission. A nonrefundable fee of $100 will be collected for this course. Attendance in XL 0201 is mandatory from the first day of classes. Absences accumulate from the beginning of the semester. Three absences will result in a student being withdrawn from the university.

Applications for readmission should be received in the Office of Admissions and School Relations at least 60 days before the beginning of the anticipated term of enrollment. Students who do not qualify for admission and then attend another college will be considered transfer students and must meet transfer admission policies in order to be readmitted to the university.

Graduation Requirements. Graduation requirements include a minimum adjusted cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all courses, including repeated courses, attempted in the degree program in which students seek graduation. In order to obtain a degree granted by the university, at least 25 percent of the total semester credit hours must be earned through instruction offered by Texas Tech University.

Graduation Rates. Federal regulations require that the university disclose graduation rates for men and women who are full-time, degree-seeking undergraduate students. Disclosure of graduation rates for various student populations, including athletes, is also required. These are the same rates as those supplied by Texas Tech to the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). Detailed graduation rates are available upon request from the Office of News and Publications.

Withdrawal from the University. Students who find it necessary to withdraw from the university before the end of a semester or summer term must apply to the Office of the Registrar in 100 West Hall, no later than five class days before the first day of the final examination period. Students under 18 years of age should first consult their parents and should secure from them a written statement that they have their permission to withdraw. The grades of W or WF are recorded in keeping with the regulations set forth in the section on Grading Practices and are based on the student's standing on the last day of enrollment in each course in which he or she is registered.

A student who withdraws from a residence course with a grade of W may complete the course through the Division of Outreach and Extended Studies by registering for correspondence work, provided the course is regularly offered through correspondence and provided the instructor who taught the residence course is assigned as the correspondence instructor. Credit received through the process just described is recorded as correspondence credit.

International students must receive clearance from the Director of International Programs as a part of the withdrawal procedure.

Return to Contents Page

Page Maintained by: Cheryl Hedlund

Page Administrator: Gale Richardson


Apr 27, 2017