Residence Halls

Freshman Residence Hall Policy. Residence hall living is a key component to the success of all students. National research indicates that students living in residence halls maintain higher grade point averages and are more likely to complete their degree plan within five years than students who live off campus. Additionally, the university feels that students will have their best opportunity for a well-rounded educational experience while living in a supervised residence hall designed for student living.

The current university residence hall policy requires students having fewer than 30 hours of academic credit prior to the beginning of the first semester of enrollment to live on campus unless exempted by the Department of Housing and Dining Services. The on-campus residency policy applies when a student is registered for two or more courses.

Requests for exemptions to the residence hall policy must be submitted to the Department of Housing and Dining Services no later than May 1 for fall enrollment; November 1 for spring enrollment; or May 1 for summer enrollment. Registration for classes may be delayed pending verification of housing. Because of unforeseen changes in a student's circumstances due to illness or other personal reasons, some petitions are considered after the above dates. Students are encouraged to discuss such developments with the department at any time. Unless it is clearly established that illness or personal reasons that were not known prior to the above dates have arisen to necessitate a student's living off campus, students should not expect to be relieved of their academic-year residence hall obligations.

Subject to verification and authorization by the Department of Housing and Dining Services, students will be given permission to live off campus provided:

1.The student resides and will continue to reside in the established household of his or her parent or legal guardian.

2.The student presents evidence of financial hardship conditions and is living in the established household of a brother, sister, grandparent, uncle, or aunt. In the event the individual with whom the student lives changes residence, the student shall promptly notify the Department of Housing and Dining Services.

3.The student is married or a single parent with dependent child(ren) living with the student.

4.The student is 21 years of age or older on or before the first day of class of the initial semester of enrollment.

5.The student has successfully completed 30 or more semester hours of academic credit before the beginning of the initial semester of enrollment or has lived in university residence halls for two regular semesters.

6.The student has served in the military service as verified by a discharge certificate (DD214).

7.The student has a health problem as verified by a physician which precludes living in the residence halls.

8.The student presents evidence of an extreme hardship which will be intensified by living in the residence halls.

Any one of the eight exemption categories will be sufficient. Evidence of deliberate falsification of information, data, or any materials submitted or providing false or erroneous information in connection with an application for on-campus housing exemption shall be grounds for taking disciplinary action against the student in accordance with the Code of Student Conduct.

Any student wishing to move from the residence halls should consult the Residence Hall Contract for the provisions applicable to cancellation of the contract. Authorization for off-campus housing does not relieve the student of contractual obligations that may have been assumed with the university for housing in the residence halls.

It is the responsibility of the student to file a change of address form or correct any information regarding place of residence with the Office of School Relations. Failure to do so will be considered cause for disciplinary action.

Residence Hall Reservations. Residence halls, like all other services and facilities of Texas Tech, are available to all students regardless of race, creed, national origin, age, sex, or disability. Application for admission to the university and application for residence hall accommodations are separate transactions. Applications for housing are accepted up to 1 year in advance of enrollment in the university. Students may apply for housing before being admitted to the university.

To receive a higher priority for room assignment, all students are encouraged to submit the Residence Hall Application specifying their preferred hall choices as early as possible. The date the application is received determines the priority for room assignment. Space in the university residence halls is reserved on a first-come, first-served basis. All students who apply for accommodations in the residence halls and are accepted sign a Residence Hall Contract for the full academic year. A contract will be mailed to new students after the application and required fees have been received. Students and parents are urged to read the Residence Hall Contract carefully.

Room and roommate assignments for new students are made in June after the continuing students in the residence halls have completed reassignments for the following year. Roommate requests are granted when space is available, if the request is mutual and if both applications are received at or about the same time. Other specific requests (building, type of room, etc.) will be considered when space is available.

Students should notify the Housing Office in writing if cancellation of the application becomes necessary. Information relating to cancellation is included with the housing application and is outlined in the Residence Hall Contract.

All unclaimed rooms in the residence halls will be declared vacant at 8 a.m. on the first day of classes. Students who enroll at the university but fail to claim their assigned residence hall room will be subject to the cancellation provisions stated in the section "Termination of Contract During Occupancy" of the Residence Hall Contract.

Residence Halls Facilities and Services. The Texas Tech residence hall system includes a variety of living options and provides convenient and affordable housing for approximately 5,500 students. Special interest housing­including Honors, Intensive Study, Nonsmoking, and Upperclass areas­provides students with the opportunity to live with others of similar interests. Carpenter/Wells Complex arranged in three-bedroom townhouses or four bedroom flats offer private bedrooms in an apartment setting. Gaston Hall­Apartments and Doak Hall offer upperclass students separate living areas. Gordon Hall, a suite-style residence, is designated as an Honors Residence Hall.

Ethernet computer connections and a private telephone line are available for each resident. Other services include basic cable television service, local telephone service, coin-operated laundry and vending machines, and desk services.

An experienced and trained staff of Residence Life Directors and Resident Assistants manages each residence hall. Each residence hall office provides assistance to residents with concerns, including maintenance requests, room and roommate assignments, and resource information.

The interests of students living on campus are promoted through the Residence Hall Association and individual hall governments. Each hall government sponsors social, cultural, educational, and recreational activities.

Dining services for on-campus residents provides a wide variety of choices. Students may dine in any of the conveniently located dining halls or in the new food court, The Market at Stangel/Murdough. Twenty meals are served each week. The evening meal on Sunday is not provided, nor are meals served during Thanksgiving, Christmas, or spring vacation periods. Residents may choose from the full board (20 meals per week) or a reduced meal plan. Regular and theme (Mexican, Italian, Asian, etc.) menus are offered in five dining halls. The Market at Stangel/Murdough, Sneed Snack Bar, and Sam's Place deli/convenience stores provide late or after-hours dine-in or carry-out options.

Room and Board Rates. Rates for room and board are based on a per-person charge and are established by the University Board of Regents in February of each year. For reference purposes, the rates for the 2000-2001 academic year are listed below. Rates are for a double room and the Basic 20 Meals-per-week Plan (excluding state and local taxes):

Non-Air-conditioned Halls:
Bledsoe, *Doak, *Gaston, Sneed--$4,327

Air-conditioned Halls:
Chitwood, Clement, Coleman, *Gaston, Gates,
Horn, Hulen, Knapp, Murdough, Stangel,
Wall, Weymouth--$4,908

Air-conditioned Suites:
Gordon (2-bedroom)-- $5,103

Carpenter/Wells Complex**
3-bedroom townhouse--$5,721
4-bedroom flat--$5,497

*Doak and Gaston residents add $35 for continuous housing between fall and spring semesters.

**Rates are for a single room and the Basic 20 Meals-per-week Plan (excluding state and local taxes).

Room and board fees are billed on a semester basis. Statements of account are mailed to the permanent home address unless the student specifies an optional billing address. Students are encouraged to pay room and board by the semester; however, payments may be made by the academic year or by an installment payment plan. If payment is made by installment, an installment option fee will be added to the account. Students receiving financial aid should contact the Housing Office prior to the due date of the first installment to discuss payment arrangements. Payments may be made by VISA, MasterCard, Discover Card, American Express, personal check, cashier's check, or money order made payable to Texas Tech University. Cash payments should be made in person at the Housing Office located in Doak Hall.

For assistance or to obtain a housing application, contact the Department of Housing and Dining Services, Box 41141, Lubbock, TX 79409-1141, (806) 742-2661. Additional information is available at the Web site <>.

Return to Contents Page

Page Maintained by: Cheryl Hedlund

Page Administrator: Gale Richardson


Apr 27, 2017