Academic Information

Academic Regulations

General Education Requirements. The University established General Education Requirements for all undergraduate students effective fall semester 1989. These requirements are designed to ensure breadth in all baccalaureate programs. A complete listing of General Education Requirements appears in the catalog section entitled All-University Programs.

Students who acquired college credit prior to fall 1989 may be exempt. The student should consult his or her academic dean. Students should choose only those General Education Requirement courses that follow their degree plans.

Classification of Students. A student is classified according to the following: freshman, 0-29 hours completed; sophomore, 30-59; junior, 60-89; senior, 90-completion of degree requirements. The two ranks, junior and senior, are often referred to as "upperclass" and "advanced." A student who is enrolled for 12 or more credit hours per semester is considered a full-time student; one enrolled for fewer than 12 hours is considered a part-time student. A freshman may have remedial courses (numbered 0301 or 0302) counted as part of a full course load although these courses do not count toward a degree.

A student is considered to be making satisfactory progress toward a degree objective when he or she completes at least 12 credit hours in each semester, achieves a grade-point average of 2.00 or higher in each semester, and maintains an overall grade-point average of 2.00 or higher.

Semester Hours and Course Loads. The semester hour is the unit of measure for credit purposes. The student is expected to spend approximately two hours in preparation for each hour of lecture or recitation.

The number of semester hours a student may carry (course load) is regulated by the academic dean. In determining this load the dean takes into account the quality of scholastic work performed by the student, the types of courses involved, the student's health, and extracurricular interests and activities.

Enrollment in One of the Colleges or Schools. Each student accepted for admission will enroll in one of the colleges or schools of the University: Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, Architecture, Arts and Sciences, Business Administration, Education, Engineering, Human Sciences, Law, or Graduate. The student should consult the dean of the college or school whenever any question arises concerning academic status. Matters specifically requiring the academic dean's approval include:

Course load and schedule

Changes in schedule, including dropping and adding courses

Withdrawal and honorable dismissal from the University

Graduation requirements and candidacy for a degree.

University Transition Advisement Center (UTAC). Located in 79 Holden Hall, UTAC provides academic counseling and advising for six student populations: Individuals who score below the state standard on any portion of the TASP test; Arts and Sciences Undeclared (ASUD) through 60 hours; Prelaw through 18 hours; Social Work through 29 hours; General Studies through 29 hours; and Provisionally-Admitted. For information, call (806) 742-2189; fax (806) 742-2200; or e-mail:

Dropping a Course. Students may officially drop a course in which they are enrolled through the 30th class day of a long semester or the 12th class day of a summer term and receive the grade of W regardless of their progress in the class. After the 30th class day (12th for summer), the grade of W or WF will be given, depending on the student's progress. Students cannot drop courses within 10 days before the first day of the final examination period during the long semester or 4 days in the summer.

Change of College. Students who wish to transfer from one college of the University to another should contact the academic dean of the college to which they plan to transfer to make sure that they can meet all enrollment requirements. The student then completes an academic transfer form in the receiving dean's office. The last day to change college is the last day to drop a course or withdraw from the University.

Change of Address. Each student is responsible for maintaining his or her correct address on file in the Office of Admissions and Records. Change of address forms are available in that office, and other campus departments will be notified when such a form is filed. Students required by the housing residence rules to live on campus may not move off campus during the semester without approval from the Department of Housing and Dining Services.

Administrative Flags. By failing to meet certain obligations to the University, a student may be denied registration and/or receiving a transcript until the administrative flag is cleared.

Administrative flags may be placed on a student's record because of an outstanding debt to the University, disciplinary action, academic suspension, incomplete admission forms or test scores, etc. It is the student's responsibility to get the flag released, which can be accomplished by meeting the requirements of the department placing the flag.

Status of flags on students' records for students who have attended Texas Tech since August 1983 may be obtained by using a push-button phone with touch-tone dialing and calling the Red Raider Robot, (806) 742-4325.
Students should be ready to respond with their nine-digit social security or matriculation number and their six-digit birthdate. This service is available twenty-four hours a day.

Class Attendance. Responsibility for class attendance rests with the student. Regular and punctual attendance at all scheduled classes is expected, and the University reserves the right to deal at any time with individual cases of nonattendance.

The effect of absences on grades is determined by the instructor. When absences jeopardize a student's standing in a class, it is the responsibility of the instructor to report that fact to the student's dean. Excessive absences constitute cause for dropping a student from class; in such a case the grade of WF may be given. In extreme cases the academic dean may suspend the student from the University.

Department chairpersons, directors, or others responsible for a student representing the University on officially approved trips should notify the student's instructors of the departure and return schedules. The instructor so notified should not penalize the student, although the student is responsible for material missed. Students absent because of University business must be given the same privileges as other students; i.e., if other students are given the choice of dropping one of four tests, then students with excused absences must be given the same privilege.

Reporting Illness. In case of an illness that will require absence from class for more than one week, the student should notify his or her academic dean. The dean's office will inform the student's instructors through the departmental office. In case of class absences because of a brief illness, the student should inform the instructor directly. Other information related to illness is found in the Student Affairs Handbook and the Residence Halls Handbook.

Absence Due to Religious Observance. A student who is absent from classes for the observance of a religious holy day, according to the legal definition, will be allowed to take an examination or complete an assignment scheduled for that day within a reasonable time after the absence if, not later than the 15th day after the first day of the semester, the student has notified the instructor of each scheduled class that the student will be absent for a religious holy day.

This notification will be in writing and will be delivered by the student personally to the instructor of each class, with receipt of the notification acknowledged and dated by the instructor, or by certified mail, return receipt requested, addressed to the instructor of each class.

A student who is excused under this policy may not be penalized for the absence, but the instructor may appropriately respond if the student fails to satisfactorily complete the assignment.

Academic Integrity. It is the aim of the faculty of Texas Tech University to foster a spirit of complete honesty and a high standard of integrity. The attempt of students to present as their own any work which they have not honestly performed is regarded by the faculty and administration as a most serious offense and renders the offenders liable to serious consequences, possibly suspension.

The instructor in a course is responsible for initiating action for dishonesty or plagiarism which occurs in his or her class. In cases of convincing evidence of or admitted academic dishonesty or plagiarism, an instructor should take appropriate action. Before taking such action, however, the instructor should attempt to discuss the matter with the student. If cheating is suspected on a final exam, the instructor should not submit a grade until a reasonable attempt can be made to contact the student, preferably within one month after the end of the semester. See the section on "Academic Conduct" in the Code of Student Conduct for details of this policy.

1.Cheating: Dishonesty on examinations and quizzes or on written assignments, illegal possession of examinations, the use of unauthorized notes during an examination or quiz, obtaining information during an examination from the examination paper or otherwise from another student, assisting others to cheat, alteration of grade records, illegal entry to or unauthorized presence in an office are instances of cheating.

Complete honesty is required of students in the presentation of any and all phases of course work as their own. This applies to quizzes of whatever length as well as to final examinations, daily reports, lab work, and term papers.

2.Plagiarism: Offering the work of another as one's own, without proper acknowledgment, is plagiarism; therefore, any student who fails to give credit for quotations or essentially identical expression of material taken from books, encyclopedias, magazines, and other reference works, or from the themes, reports, or other writings of a fellow student, is guilty of plagiarism.

Grading Practices. A grade is assigned for all courses in which a student is regularly enrolled during any semester or summer term. Only through regular enrollment can a grade be earned. A passing grade may be earned only if the student is enrolled for the duration of the course, and a grade, once given, may not be changed without the approval of the student's dean.

The instructor of record determines all grades for a course. The method of determining a grade will be included in the course syllabus that is to be presented to the students at the beginning of the semester.

The grades used, with their interpretations, are A, excellent; B, good; C, average; D, inferior (passing, but not necessarily satisfying degree requirements); F, failure; P, passing; PR, in progress; I, incomplete; W, withdrawal; WF, withdrawal failing. The letter R designates a course repeated to remove an I.

The grade of PR is given only when the work in a course extends beyond the semester or term; it implies satisfactory performance and is used primarily in thesis and dissertation courses.

The grades of CR, credit, and NC, no credit, are given in certain instances.

The grade of I is given only when a student's work is satisfactory in quality but, due to reasons beyond his or her
control, has not been completed. It is not given in lieu of an F. The instructor assigning the grade will stipulate, in writing, at the time the grade is given the conditions under which the I may be removed. The I will remain on record until the faculty member submits a new grade. The I may be replaced by an R if the course is repeated. The appropriate grade will be given for the second registration.

The grade of W is given for a course officially dropped during the first six weeks of a term. A student should continue to attend a class until authorized by the academic dean to drop a course. The grade of WF is given if the student drops a course after the first 30 days of a term (12 days in summer) if the student is not passing the course at the time of the drop. A grade of WF will be given when the student is required by the dean to drop a course for failure to attend the class or for other reasons.

An NP is given if the student has not paid certain fees by the end of the semester. If the student subsequently pays the delinquent fees, the Bursar will notify the Registrar, who will then record the academic grade earned.

Grade Appeals. A student who wishes to appeal a course grade should first consult with the course instructor, then with the department chairperson, and then, if the matter has not been resolved, with the dean of the college in which the course is offered. A grade appeal must be filed in the office of the dean of the college in which the course is offered within 60 days of the start of the next long semester after the term in which the disputed grade was received. Copies of the grade appeals policy can be obtained from any academic dean's office or from the Dean of Students office.

Semester Grade Reports. At the close of each semester and each summer term, final course grades are mailed to all students at their permanent home addresses. A copy is also available in the Registrar's Office. Changes in the mailing address for grade reports must be filed on the proper form provided in the Registrar's Office.

Grade Points. The grades of A, B, C, and D carry with them grade points of 4, 3, 2, and 1, respectively, for each semester hour of credit value of the course in which the grade is received. All other grades have no grade points assigned them.

Grade-Point Averages. The current grade-point average is determined by dividing the total number of grade points acquired during that semester by the total number of semester hours of all courses in which the student was registered in that semester, exclusive of courses in which grades such as W, I, P, CR, and PR are received. In the same manner, the cumulative grade-point average is obtained by dividing the total number of grade points earned in all courses for which the student has registered at this University, including hours of F and WF.

With the approval of the student's dean, a grade-point deficiency in degree requirements may be made up by earning sufficient grade points in additional courses.

Only courses taken and grades received at this University are used in calculating grade-point averages.

Grade Replacement Policy. After a course has been retaken at Texas Tech, a student may apply to the Registrar for grade replacement. This policy applies to students enrolled at the University during spring 1993 or thereafter and applies only to those who have not received a baccalaureate degree at the time of the request.

The grade replacement is for the purpose of providing an adjusted grade-point average. The most recent passing grade will replace all previous grades in that course. The cumulative adjusted GPA will be posted on the bottom of the student's transcript. A notation will indicate the original course which is being replaced. The original grade and original cumulative GPA will remain. The cumulative (not the adjusted) GPA will be used for honors.

An application may be obtained and initiated by the student in the office of the Registrar after the current semester academic procedures have been completed. The four copies of the form are for the dean's office, the student's academic home department, the student, and the original for the Registrar. Students may apply after the passing grade is received in the replacing course. A student wanting to replace a grade received before fall 1983 should contact the student's academic dean's office.

Adjusted Grade-Point Average. A student placed on scholastic suspension at the end of the semester will not be removed from suspension on the basis of grade replacements that can be or are made after the semester grades are reported. However, a college may on this basis grant a student permission to attend while on suspension.

Pass-Fail Option. Undergraduate students may take up to 13 elective semester hours toward satisfying degree requirements in which they will be graded on a pass-fail basis. Courses specified in the catalog as available only with pass-fail grading and courses taken in excess of degree requirements are not included in the 13-hour restriction.

A college may further restrict the pass-fail option but may not broaden it beyond elective courses.

No student on probation will be allowed the pass-fail option.

Students wishing to take a course pass-fail should contact the academic dean's office of the college in which they are enrolled. A student must declare the intent to take a course pass-fail no later than the last day on which a grade of W is automatically given for courses dropped. A student who has chosen to take a course pass-fail may not subsequently change to a letter graded basis. A grade of F received on a course taken pass-fail will be computed into the grade-point average.

The names of students taking a course pass-fail will not be made known to the instructor.

An exception to the above-stated rules applies to students who have had two years of one foreign language in high school and who enroll in the same foreign language at the 1401 level even though a 1507 course is available. Those students taking the 1401 course are required to take it pass-fail.

Courses taken in the declared major or minor shall not be taken by pass-fail unless required by the department. The department of the major or minor will decide whether courses taken under the pass-fail system, before a student
has declared a major or minor, shall count toward satisfying the degree requirements.

Credit by Examination for Matriculated Students. With the approval of their academic dean, matriculated students in the University may attempt examinations on courses in which they think they have acquired the basic knowledge. Certain CEEB nationally standardized tests and departmental examinations are available for matriculated students to attempt credit by examination in undergraduate courses (see section entitled "Undergraduate Credit by Examination").

Honor Rolls. Full-time undergraduate students who earn a grade-point average of 4.0 during a semester are eligible for the President's Honor Roll. Those who earn a GPA of 3.5 or higher during a semester are eligible for the Dean's Honor List of the college in which they are enrolled during that semester. For these acknowledgments, students must be enrolled for at least 12 hours, excluding any courses graded pass-fail.

Graduation With Honors. Members of a graduating class who complete their work with a cumulative grade-point average of 3.9 or above are graduated Summa Cum Laude; those who complete their work with a GPA of 3.7 to 3.89 are graduated Magna Cum Laude; and those who complete their work with a GPA of 3.5 to 3.69 are graduated Cum Laude. Appropriate designation of the honor is made on the diploma and on the commencement program. No person is considered for graduation honors unless at least one-half of the degree credit has been completed at this institution, and the half must include the senior year. Only grades earned at Texas Tech are counted, and only the cumulative GPA is used to calculate honors.

Honors Studies. Honors courses are available to students in all undergraduate colleges. Interested students should consult the Director of Honors or their college advisors.

Academic Status. Students may continue enrollment according to the regulations described below.

Students are expected to maintain cumulative and current semester grade-point averages or adjusted grade-point averages of 2.0 or above. Some academic programs have requirements over and above the cumulative GPA of 2.0. A student whose cumulative GPA is above 2.0 but whose current semester GPA is below 2.0 should seek advice and counsel from his or her academic dean.

Scholastic Probation. A student whose cumulative GPA is below 2.0 will be placed on "scholastic probation." Such a student may not enroll for more than 15 hours without prior approval of the academic dean. In addition, the student must continue to seek regularly scheduled advice and counsel from an academic advisor or the dean.

Continued Scholastic Probation. A probationary student whose current GPA is 2.0 or higher but whose cumulative GPA is below 2.0 will be placed on "continued scholastic probation." A student will remain on continued scholastic probation until the cumulative GPA is 2.0 or higher.

Scholastic Suspension. A probationary student enrolled in the fall or spring semester who has a current and a cumulative GPA below 2.0 will be placed on suspension unless he or she has an adjusted cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher. Grade replacement will not alter a previous probation or suspension. However, a suspended student who attains an adjusted GPA of 2.0 or higher after official grades have been submitted and academic status has been determined may be allowed to attend Texas Tech upon appeal to the associate academic dean.

Students on scholastic suspension may seek reinstatement after a minimum of one semester. The summer session is considered to be a semester for the purpose of serving a suspension. Students who have received more than one suspension may seek reinstatement after two semesters. Reinstatement granted after suspension will be probationary. Students who apply for readmission following suspension will be required to undergo such testing and counseling as the academic dean considers necessary. Students who are readmitted after first suspension will be required to successfully complete XL 0201, "Strategies for Learning," during the first semester of their readmission. A nonrefundable fee of $100 will be collected for this course. Attendance in XL 0201 is mandatory from the first day of classes. Absences accumulate from the beginning of the semester. Three absences will result in a student being withdrawn from the University.

Applications for readmission should be received in the Office of Admissions at least 60 days before the beginning of the anticipated term of enrollment. Students who do not qualify for admission and then attend another college will be considered transfer students and must have a 2.0 GPA in order to be readmitted to the University.

Graduation Requirements. Graduation requirements include a minimum adjusted cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all courses, including repeated courses, attempted in the degree program in which students seek graduation. In order to obtain a degree granted by the University, at least 25 percent of the total semester credit hours must be earned through instruction offered by Texas Tech University.

Graduation Rates. Federal regulations require that the University disclose graduation rates for men and women who are full-time, degree-seeking undergraduate students. Disclosure of graduation rates for various student populations, including athletes, is also required. These are the same rates as those supplied by Texas Tech to the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). Detailed graduation rates are available upon request from the Office of News and Publications.

Withdrawal from the University. Students who find it necessary to withdraw from the University before the end of a semester or summer term must apply to the Dean of Students Office, 250 West Hall, no later than ten class days before the first day of the final examination period. Students under 18 years of age should first consult their parents and should secure from them a written statement that they have their permission to withdraw. The grades of W or WF are recorded in keeping with the regulations set forth in the section on Grading Practices and are based on the student's standings on the last day of enrollment in each course in which he or she is registered.

A student who withdraws from a residence course with a grade of W may complete the course through the Division of Extended Learning by registering for correspondence work, provided the course is regularly offered through correspondence and provided the instructor who taught the residence course is assigned as the correspondence instructor. Credit received through the process just described is recorded as correspondence credit.

International students must receive clearance from the Director of International Programs as a part of the withdrawal procedure.

Return to Home Page

Page Maintained by: Cheryl Hedlund

Page Administrator: Gale Richardson


Apr 27, 2017