Uniform Undergraduate Degree Requirements

All bachelors' degrees conferred by Texas Tech University are based on the satisfactory completion of specific authorized degree programs. A student's major subject is the degree program in which he or she is working. The degree programs are offered through the seven undergraduate instructional colleges of the University and are usually supervised by the departments in each college.

Requirements for undergraduate degrees, therefore, are established at these three different levels: (1) the University as a whole (Uniform Undergraduate Degree Requirements), (2) the college through which the degree is conferred, and (3) the particular degree program in which the student is working. Students should familiarize themselves with all three sets of requirements that must be fulfilled before the degree is granted.

Immediately following are explanations of the Uniform Undergraduate Degree Requirements of the University that apply to all undergraduate degrees conferred.

General Education Requirements also apply to all candidates for baccalaureate degrees. These requirements appear in the next section of this catalog.

Residence Credit. The minimum actual residence required of each student is two consecutive semesters or the equivalent, and the minimum amount of residence work required is one-fourth of the total hours applicable toward the degree sought. In addition, the student must complete the last 30 hours at Texas Tech. These hours may include a maximum of 6 semester hours in correspondence course work, provided the minimum residence and course work requirements stated above have been met.

Course work taken through the Division of Extended Learning at Texas Tech University or at any other institution will not be counted as residence credit.

The term "residence" as a degree requirement should not be confused with "residence" in the state of Texas for tuition purposes. Residence credit as used here means credit for work done while enrolled in and attending classes at Texas Tech University.

Graduation Under a Particular Catalog. A student is expected to complete the degree requirements set forth in a particular University catalog. Normally this will be the catalog in effect at the time the student enters a post-secondary school program, assuming that it has not changed from the original degree objective. For the student who changes a degree objective after beginning a college career, the degree requirements in effect when the student is officially admitted to the college from which the degree is to be received will be applicable. Only with the specific approval of the academic dean may a different catalog be selected. In no case may a student complete the requirements set forth in a catalog more than seven years old. When necessary, a catalog issued later than the student's first registration may be selected by the academic dean in conference with the student.

The annual Undergraduate Catalog is published in the summer, and its provisions apply during the following school year, September through August. However, a student who registers for the first time in the University during a summer session is subject to the degree requirements set forth in the catalog effective for the fall semester immediately following the initial enrollment.

Double Major. A student interested in pursuing a double (dual) major should contact his or her academic dean for specific requirements. A double major will typically require more than 130 hours.

Application for Degree. A candidate should file an application for a degree in the academic dean's office at the time designated by the dean. Veterans must file a degree plan by the time they have accumulated 64 semester hours.

Students who register in the semester or summer session in which they expect to complete the work for a bachelor's degree, but who have less than the number of grade points required for graduation, will be granted only conditional admission to candidacy. In this status, students act on their own responsibility in making graduation arrangements.

Commencement Exercises. Diplomas are awarded at the end of each semester and the summer session. Commencement exercises are held at the end of each long semester and at the end of the second summer term. Students may participate only in the commencement exercises that immediately follow their graduation.

Second Bachelor's Degree. No second bachelor's degree is conferred until the candidate has completed at least 24 semester hoursexclusive of credit by examinationin addition to the courses counted toward the first bachelor's degree.

Explanation of Course Offerings

Courses are designated by a subject prefix and number along with a descriptive title. The first digit in the number indicates the academic level of the course. First digits of 1, 2, 3, or 4 indicate that the course is primarily designed for the freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior year, respectively. A number of 5 or above designates a graduate course. The second digit indicates the semester-hour credit of the course. The remaining digits are the distinguishing numbers of the particular course. Thus, MATH 1350 is a freshman course carrying 3 semester hours of credit. Remedial courses begin with "0" (MATH 0301, etc.).

Courses are listed in the following section of the catalog under the name of the college and department in which they are taught. The courses are arranged numerically.

In the departmental course lists, certain information is placed in parentheses following the course title. The first figure in the parentheses indicates the semester-hour credit of the course; the second figure shows the number of lecture hours per week attended by a student enrolled in the course; and the third figure indicates the number of hours per week during which the student is in a laboratory, practice session, or other activity related to the course. For example, (3:1:4) following the listing of GEOG 3300, Introduction to Mapping, means that the course carries 3 semester hours' credit, that 1 hour per week is spent in lecture section, and that 4 hours per week are spent in the laboratory. Where only one figure appears in the parentheses, the course value in semester hours is indicated.

Several courses are identified by the Texas Common Course Numbering System to facilitate transfer between Texas colleges and universities. These courses are identified by the Texas Common Course Number in brackets following the course description.

The following index may be helpful in interpreting the subject prefixes used in the curriculum sections of this catalog.

AAEC--Agricultural and Applied Economics


ACOM--Agricultural Communications


AERS--Aerospace Studies

AGED--Agricultural Education

AGSC--Agricultural Science

AGSM--Agricultural Systems

AHCD--Allied Health Communication Disorders

AHPT--Allied Health Physical Therapy

ANSC--Animal Science





ATMO--Atmospheric Science

BA--Business Administration


BLAW--Business Law


CE--Civil Engineering

CEED--Consumer Economics and Environmental Design

CHE--Chemical Engineering


CLHM--Classical Humanities

CLT--Comparative Literature

CMLL--Classical and Modern
Languages and Literatures

COIN--Cooperative Internship

COMS--Communication Studies

CS--Computer Science

CTEC--Construction Technology



EDBL--Bilingual Education

EDCI--Educational Curriculum and Instruction

EDEC--Early Childhood Education

EDEL--Elementary Education

EDHE--Higher Education

EDIT--Educational Instructional

EDLD--Educational Leadership

EDLL--Language Literacy Education

EDRD--Reading Education

EDSE--Secondary Education

EDSP--Special Education

EE--Electrical Engineering

Engineering Technology

ESL--English as a Second Language

EGR--Engineering Graphics



ENVE--Environmental Engineering

EPCE--Counselor Education

EPSY--Educational Psychology

ESS--Exercise and Sports Science

FA--Fine Arts

FADS--Fashion Design

FCSE--Family and Consumer Sciences Education

FDT--Food Technology

FFP--Family Financial Planning


F&N--Food and Nutrition


FS--Family Studies


GBCH--Medical Biochemistry





GIDN--Interdisciplinary Neuroscience

GIHC--Interdisciplinary Health

GIHM--Interdisciplinary Health

GIPM--Interdisciplinary Preventive Medicine






GST--General Studies

GTEC--General Engineering

HD--Human Development

HDFS--Human Development and Family Studies





HUSC--Human Sciences

ID--Interior Design

IE--Industrial Engineering

IS--Interdisciplinary Studies

ISQS--Information Systems and Quantitative Sciences




LAIS--Latin American and Iberian Studies

LARC--Landscape Architecture



LPMD--Land-Use Planning,
Management, and Design

LS--Library Science



MCOM--Mass Communications

MDS--Multidisciplinary Studies

ME--Mechanical Engineering


MFT--Marriage and Family Therapy


MILS--Military Science


MTEC--Mechanical Engineering

MUAL--Music Student Teaching

MUAP--Music, Applied

MUCP--Music Composition

MUED--Music Education

MUEN--Music Ensemble

MUHL--Music History and Literature

MUSE--Music Student TeachingSecondary


MUSM--Museum Science

MUTH--Music Theory


PETR--Petroleum Engineering

PF&W--Personal Fitness and Wellness




POLS--Political Science


PR--Public Relations

PSS--Plant and Soil Science


PUAD--Public Administration

RHIM--Restaurant, Hotel, and
Institutional Management

RLS--Recreation and Leisure Services


RWFM--Range, Wildlife, and Fisheries





SW--Social Work


THA--Theatre Arts

WS--Women's Studies


Return to Home Page

Page Maintained by: Cheryl Hedlund

Page Administrator: Gale Richardson


Apr 27, 2017