TTU Home Official Publications Home

Graduate School General Information

(Back to Graduate School)

The Graduate School, like other colleges and schools of Texas Tech, reserves the right to institute, after due notice and during the course of a student’s work toward a degree, any new ruling that may be necessary for the good of the university and therefore, ultimately, of its degree recipients. Normally a student may graduate under the provisions of the catalog in effect the semester of admission into the degree program.

Responsibility of Students. Each graduate student is expected to become thoroughly familiar with both departmental and Graduate School regulations and with the requirements for degrees. Failure to follow the regulations and requirements almost inevitably results in complications for which the Graduate School cannot assume responsibility.

Graduate Advisors. The dean of the Graduate School is the general advisor for all graduate students, but, insofar as the particular courses are concerned, students are counseled by the chairpersons of their major and minor departments or by other professors designated for such counseling. Advisement in matters pertaining to teachers’ certificates is the responsibility of the director of teacher certification in the College of Education.
Extracurricular Activities. Graduate students may participate in extracurricular activities within university policies. They are encouraged to participate in honor societies for which they may be qualified.

Prerequisites for a Graduate Major. For a graduate major, an applicant must have completed, or must take, sufficient undergraduate work to ensure adequate background for successful graduate work in the proposed field. With approval of the department, the student may receive credit by examination for such leveling requirements. Any department may specify additional prerequisites if they are considered necessary and may require an applicant to pass an examination before being accepted.

Graduate School CommencementTransfer Credit and Distance Courses.There is no automatic transfer of credit from another university toward a graduate degree at Texas Tech. In general, all such work is subject to review and approval by the student’s department and by the graduate dean. No work completed with a grade of less than B will be considered.

Graduate credit may be granted for courses taken by distance learning at another university. Distance learning completed at Texas Tech may be considered if the student had been officially admitted to the Graduate School prior to enrolling for the courses. Graduate credit will not be granted for courses taken by correspondence.

Grades. The grades used in the Graduate School are the same as those used in undergraduate work (A, B, C, D, and F), but graduate credit is allowed only for courses completed with grades of A, B, and C, although grades of D and F are used in computing grade point averages. Instructors may choose to add a plus or a minus to the grade. These will be entered on the transcript but will not be used in calculating the grade point average.

Departments have the option to use pass/fail grades (P and F) for individually arranged courses, professional seminars, and certain other courses. No more than one-fourth of a student’s program coursework may be graded pass/fail, however.

No final grade assigned for a graduate-level course may be raised unless an error has been made. Substituting another course for one completed with a low grade is not permitted.

Work completed at another graduate school with a grade less than B will not be accepted, nor will grades of pass or satisfactory. Grades on transferred work will not raise the grade point average on courses completed at Texas Tech.

Symbols CR, NC, I, and W. The symbol CR (credit) or NC (no credit) normally is assigned for every enrollment for a master’s thesis or doctor’s dissertation until the completed document has been approved by the student’s committee and accepted by the dean of the Graduate School. At that time a grade of A or B will be entered solely for the hours in which the student is enrolled in the final semester.

CR may be given by a professor when a student’s work in other individual research courses is not finished but is satisfactorily in progress at the end of a semester. When the research is completed, a standard letter grade should be entered for the final semester.
PR is not an appropriate grade for any graduate course.

The symbol I (incomplete) may be given by a professor when a student’s work in a course has not been completed at the end of a semester and when failure to complete the work has been due to causes beyond the student’s control. It is not used as a substitute for F. When the I is given, the instructor must file a form with the Graduate School specifying the reasons for the grade and the work remaining to be done.

Students may officially drop a course through the 45th class day of a long semester or the 15th class day of a summer term and receive the grade of W regardless of their progress in the class. After this time period, students must complete all courses and receive a grade.

Proficiency in English. An international student found deficient in English may be required to complete certain specified courses in English usage (without graduate credit) satisfactorily before being considered for admission to candidacy for a graduate degree.

Statement of Intention to Graduate. A student planning to graduate must file in the Graduate School’s office a “Statement of Intention to Graduate” at the beginning of the semester of intended graduation. A list of deadlines, including the date for filing the “Statement of Intent to Graduate,” can be found on the Graduate School website (www.gradschool.ttu.edu). No candidate’s name will be placed on the “Tentative List of Graduates” for any graduation date unless this statement has been received at the Graduate School by the specified deadline.

A candidate who fails to graduate at the expected time is required to file a new “Statement of Intention to Graduate” for any subsequent graduation and enroll in that semester.

Teacher Certification. Prospective students should understand that the material in this catalog applies only to requirements for graduate degrees and has no direct relation to certificates for public school teachers. The Graduate School gives no assurance that a program for a graduate degree and a program for a certificate will coincide. Students interested in teacher certificates should confer with the director of teacher certification in the appropriate program at the outset of their work.Back to Top