College of Human Sciences – Graduate Program

The College of Human Sciences offers graduate programs leading to the Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy degrees. The graduate programs in the college are designed to educate scholars and leaders in areas that affect human development: nutrition; family studies; environmental design; restaurant, hotel, and institutional management; personal financial planning; marriage and family therapy; and family and consumer sciences education.

Persons successfully completing graduate work in the college have traditionally been prepared to serve as leaders in the business world, private sector organizations, and academic institutions. Anyone interested in graduate programs should consult the Graduate School catalog section for information about university requirements for master's and doctoral degrees.

Master of Science Degree

The Master of Science degree has majors in environmental design; nutritional sciences; family and consumer sciences education; human development and family studies; marriage and family therapy; personal financial planning; and hospitality and retail management.

Doctoral Degree

The Doctor of Philosophy degree has majors in interior and environmental design, nutritional sciences, family and consumer sciences education, hospitality administration, human development and family studies, personal financial planning, and marriage and family therapy.


Admission to master's and doctoral programs requires the recommendation of the department as well as approval of the graduate dean. Applicants should contact the program director or the chairperson of the department offering the specialization for college and departmental guidelines.

Distance Education

The College of Human Sciences is a member of the Great Plains Interactive Distance Education Alliance (GPIDEA). The GPIDEA is comprised of many institutions of higher education who share a goal of increasing educational options at the graduate level. Twelve of the best state universities in the country have joined together to offer online graduate certificates and master's degrees in human sciences disciplines. Prospective students may apply for admission to a human sciences graduate program at any of the 12 universities. The student is admitted to one university and receives a graduate degree or certificate from that same university.

The courses are taught by several universities, but students enroll and pay for all their courses through the university where they have been admitted. Students therefore have the advantage of receiving coordinated, diverse, high-quality instruction from topic experts at several universities without the hassle and expense of figuring out each institution's admissions, enrollment, payment, and transcript transfer processes.

Four programs are offered through collaboration of the GPIDEA and the College of Human Sciences. Students can specialize in gerontology or youth development within the M.S. in Human Development and Family Studies or obtain an M.S. in Family Consumer Sciences Education. An undergraduate degree in early childhood is also available through the B.S. in Human Development and Family Studies.

For additional information, see graduate program listings for the department of Human Development and Family Studies or the College of Human Sciences.

For more information about the GPIDEA, its programs, and the participating institutions, visit

Graduate students may obtain a teaching certificate in family and consumer sciences by completing coursework that meets the Texas standards for teacher certification.

Post-Baccalaureate Certification

Three post-baccalaureate options are available. The Family and Consumer Sciences Composite Certificate qualifies individuals to teach all family and consumer sciences courses offered in Texas secondary schools. Specialized certificates in human development and family studies and hospitality, nutrition, and food science qualify individuals to teach family and consumer sciences courses in the designated content areas. Post-baccalaureate certification students are eligible to complete a one-year paid teaching internship in lieu of student teaching. Selected graduate credits earned for certification may be applied toward a graduate degree in family and consumer sciences education (M.S. or Ph.D.).


Graduate Degree Programs Administered by Dean's Office

Most graduate degree programs within the College of Human Sciences are administered by departments and summarzed in the catalog sections of those departments. The Office of the Dean, however, administers the following graduate programs in the area of Family and Consumer Sciences Education.

FCSE Master's Program

The Master of Science in Family and Consumer Sciences Education (FCSE) is designed to prepare individuals for advancement in family and consumer sciences careers. A minimum of 32 semester hours is required for the thesis option and 38 semester hours for the non-thesis option. Required coursework includes curriculum development, evaluation, educational leadership, and research methods. The thesis option requires statistics.

An online master's degree program with two options is offered in collaboration with the Great Plains Interactive Distance Education Alliance (GPIDEA).

The first option is a non-thesis program designed for individuals who have a bachelor's degree in a family and consumer sciences content specialization or related area and are interested in obtaining initial certification/licensure for teaching family and consumer sciences at the secondary level. The online program consists of 41 semester hours and includes the pedagogy courses required for certification. Teacher certification standards vary by state, and students must meet any additional certification requirements mandated by the state in which they wish to be certified.

The second online option is designed for FCSE professionals who are certified teachers or who are working in educational settings. This program consists of 36 semester hours and provides a thesis option.

Students admitted to the GPIDEA program register for all courses at Texas Tech, but the courses may be taught by faculty at any of the participating institutions. Additional information is available at or by contacting an FCSE advisor.

FCSE Doctoral Program

The Doctor of Philosophy in Family and Consumer Sciences Education prepares individuals for faculty positions in higher education and other professional leadership roles. A Ph.D. requires a minimum of 60 semester hours beyond the bachelor's degree, exclusive of dissertation. Admission to the FCSE doctoral program requires a master's degree.

The doctoral program includes a specialization in family and consumer sciences education, a research component, and other coursework designed to meet individual professional goals. Students may complete an 18-hour emphasis that meets the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools standard for coursework in a teaching discipline.