Texas Tech University

Faculty Affairs

Quick Links

Tenure Policy and Standards

Tenure applies to faculty whose appointments specified having a tenured or tenure-track position. For up-to-date information regarding promotion and tenure policies, see OP 32.01, Promotion and Tenure Standards and Procedures.

Travel Reimbursement

Policies governing reimbursement for travel are found in the state regulations and in the Operating Policies and Procedures (OP 79.01 and following) of the university.

The university may pay or reimburse a travel expense only if the purpose of the travel clearly involves state business and is consistent with the university's legal authority. A Travel Voucher must explain the nature of the official state business conducted and specify the benefit that the university gained from the travel. Travel expenditures are generally paid on a reimbursement basis. Approval, in the form of an official leave, must have the signature of the traveler and the direct supervisor of the traveler. The financial manager of the funding source will be provided informational notices of the travel expenses after the Travel Application and Travel Vouchers are submitted.

Prior to travel, the traveler must obtain approval for the travel from an immediate supervisor by submitting a Travel Application at least two weeks prior to departure. All international travel (including Canada and Mexico) by state employees or students on university business requires Office of International Affairs (OIA) approval, even when personal funds are used if personal travel will be included in conjunction with business travel. International Travel Applications and approval from OIA should be submitted at least thirty (30) days prior to departure. The Fly America Act mandates the use of U.S. flag air carriers when travelling internationally on federal funds. Waiver information, certified air carriers and additional information is available at www.depts.ttu.edu/procurement/travelservice/workaids.asp.

The university is participating in the Texas State Travel Management Program (www.window.state.tx.us/procurement/prog/stmp/). Certain airline fares, contract hotel rates, and a credit card company have been contracted by the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts Office. Vehicle rental rates were established through UT Alliance and may be accessed through the online Travel System.

Reimbursement of travel expenses may be obtained by completing an online Travel Voucher. The completed voucher, accompanied by the worksheet and required supporting documentation, must be submitted to the Travel Services Office within thirty (30) days after completion of the trip or within fifteen (15) days if a Transportation Request or Advance was processed. The voucher must be approved by the employee's supervisor. Travel applications, transportation requests and travel vouchers must be completed online at www.fiscal.ttuhsc.edu/travel2/.

In accordance with IRS regulations, any travel voucher not received by the Travel Office that is over 60 days old will be taxable to the traveler. The Travel System will calculate based on the trip end date and will record the taxable expense to Payroll.

At this time the following regulations are in effect:

  • Original receipts are required for airfare, car rental, lodging, and registration fees.
  • If the lodging receipt reflects double occupancy, the employee is entitled to reimbursement of the single rate or one-half of the rate if the room is shared with another employee. All required receipts must indicate that the charges have been paid in full.
  • Lodging and meals are limited to the per diem for each locality as published by the U.S. General Services Administration. If the city or county is not listed, the per diem is the standard rate for lodging and meals. The per diem rates change annually (October) and should be verified prior to each trip. Per IRS guidelines, meal and lodging expenses are allowable only for travel with an overnight stay.
  • International travel may not be reimbursed using state appropriated funds (includes Canada and Mexico). Travelers may claim actual expenses for international meals and lodging costs with itemized receipts, or they may claim per diem for meals. Meal and lodging reimbursements are limited to the rates set forth by the U.S. Department of State. Expenses will be converted to U.S. amounts for reimbursement.
  • A traveler is entitled to be reimbursed for mileage incurred by personal vehicle to conduct business. The reimbursement may not exceed the product of the actual number of miles traveled for business and the maximum mileage reimbursement rate. For personal vehicle travel outside of the Texas/New Mexico/Oklahoma area the maximum reimbursement will be the lesser of the airfare cost if purchased 30 days in advance or the vehicle mileage reimbursement rate. Transportation Requests are designed to assist employees who do not have a state travel card to pay for their major transportation costs. Qualifying employees may request a Transportation Request on the travel application. If approved, the cost of the airline ticket will be charged to Travel Services' credit card, and the employee will not have to pay that expense.
  • The university may advance funds for travel expenses to an employee for allowable travel expenses that have been pre-paid.
  • Advances for non-prepaid expenses may be requested. If approved, the Travel Application will be approved five working days prior to departure. Non-prepaid expenses will be restricted to 90% of the estimated costs.

Additional information, training guides, forms, links are available on the Travel Services website.

Use of University Buildings and Grounds

Reservations must be made for the use of buildings and grounds under the control of the university. Faculty and staff may make requests to use campus grounds or academic space through the Academic Support and Facilities Resources Office. Requests for reservations will be granted according to the priorities of the designated area. (OP 61.02)

Visiting Speakers

The authorization for any and all on-campus speakers shall be under the direction and be the responsibility of the President of the university. Employees, students, and members of the Board of Regents are exempt from this policy.

The Board of Regents of Texas Tech University respects the rights of the faculty and the student body of Texas Tech to have full freedom in the discussion and presentation of all information and issues. This includes the right to invite off-campus speakers whose ideas and views differ from those of the Board, its individual members, the Chancellor or the President of Texas Tech, or another officer or employee of the university. It is the policy of this Board that the facilities of this institution, which were paid for by the taxpayers of Texas from their earnings in our society based on law and order, be not made available to any person or persons who by reason of their prior expressions or past actions would likely use the invitation to advocate (1) lawlessness and disregard for the laws of this country or the state; (2) any change in the laws of this country or state, other than by constitutionally or statutorily prescribed processes; and (3) the violent overthrow of the government of the country or the state. In determining the likely conduct or speech of the proposed speaker, consideration shall be given to his or her past performance.

Arrangements for the payment of professional fees and expenses for speakers must be made through a purchase order in the TechBuy purchasing system. Payment is made through a Check Issuance Request. Forms for requesting approval of speakers may be obtained from the Academic Support and Facilities Resources office. (OP 30.13)

Official Publications