[Minor revision –posted 8/11/17 (replaces 7/7/16 edition)]
[Updated attachment D for current year 9/14/18; no additional change to OP]
Operating Policy and Procedure
OP 32.24: Faculty Awards
DATE: August 11, 2017
PURPOSE: The purpose of this Operating Policy/Procedure (OP) is to establish consistent guidelines for faculty awards, which recognize outstanding faculty achievement.
REVIEW: This OP will be reviewed in June of each year by the Senior Vice Provost or designee with substantive revisions presented to the Provost and Senior Vice President.
University-sponsored awards include:
President's Faculty Book Awards
Chancellor's Council Distinguished Teaching Award *
Chancellor's Council Distinguished Research Award †
Spencer A. Wells Award for Creativity in Teaching
Barnie E. Rushing, Jr. Faculty Distinguished Research Awards
Faculty Distinguished Leadership Award
Hemphill-Wells New Professor Excellence in Teaching Award
President's Academic Achievement Awards President's Excellence in Teaching Awards
Texas Tech Alumni Association New Faculty Awards
Teaching Academy Departmental Excellence in Teaching Award
President's Excellence in Commercialization Award
* The Chancellor's Council Distinguished Teaching Award is coordinated by the Office of the Provost and Senior Vice President. Nominations must adhere to procedures and criteria outlined in OP 32.13, The Chancellor's Council Distinguished Teaching Award.
† The Chancellor's Council Distinguished Research Award is coordinated by the Office of the Vice President for Research. Nominations must adhere to procedures and criteria outlined in OP 32.21, The Chancellor's Council Distinguished Research Award.
2. Timing, criteria, nomination, and selection procedures are shown in the attachments to this OP. Submissions received after the established deadlines will not be considered.
3. Awards made independently by colleges, schools and departments, and by student organizations such as the Mortar Board and Omicron Delta Kappa, are not addressed in this OP.
4. Faculty development leave procedures are addressed in OP 32.29, Faculty Development Leaves.
5. The Faculty Awards Nomination form (Attachment A) should be followed for each nomination except for the Chancellor's Council Distinguished Teaching Award (addressed in OP 32.13, The Chancellor's Council Distinguished Teaching Award), the Chancellor's Council Distinguished Research Award (addressed in OP 32.21, The Chancellor's Council Distinguished Research Award), the President's Faculty Book Awards (addressed in Attachment B), and the Texas Tech Alumni Association New Faculty Award (addressed in Attachment C). Contact the Teaching Academy for information regarding the application process for the Departmental Excellence in Teaching Award.
04 Audit Services
30 Academic and Student Affairs – General
32 Academic Policies – Faculty
34 Academic Policies – Students
36 Academic Programs
40 Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
48 Communication Services
52 Information Technology
60 Environmental Health and Safety
61 Facilities Management
62 Financial and Accounting
63 General Services
64 Graduate Programs (Faculty and Students)
65 Research Accounting
67 Mail Services
68 Communications and Marketing
69 Payroll and Tax Services
70 Human Resources
72 Purchasing, Contracting, and Payables
77 Student Services and Registrar
78 Traffic and Parking