[Moderate revision–posted 6/28/18 (replaces 1/15/16 edition)]
Operating Policy and Procedure
OP 74.13: Responsible Research and Safety Advisory Committee
DATE: June 28, 2018
PURPOSE: The purpose of this Operating Policy/Procedure (OP) is to provide guidance and charge of the Responsible Research and Safety Advisory Committee.
REVIEW: This OP will be reviewed in September of every fourth year by the Assistant Vice President for Research (Environmental Health and Safety), the Institutional Official for Animal Care, and the Chair of the Protection of Human Subjects Committee (i.e., Institutional Review Board) with substantive revisions forwarded through the Associate Vice President for Research (Responsible Research) to the Vice President for Research.
1. TTU is committed to responsible research practices and to maintaining a safe environment for its students, employees, and visitors. To accomplish this goal, a number of safety committees have been established, each with specific areas of responsibilities. The Responsible Research and Safety Advisory Committee will coordinate the exchange of information among Responsible Research and safety committees. Membership on the Responsible Research and Safety Advisory Committee consists of ex officio members, as designated in this OP. The Assistant Vice President of Environmental Health and Safety will chair the committee.
The institutional safety committees will be organized under the Responsible Research and Safety Advisory Committee (see attachment).
3. Safety Advisory Committee
The TTU Safety Advisory Committee is established to facilitate coordination and communication among university Responsible Research and safety committees in compliance with the Texas Administrative Code and the executive order referenced below. The Responsible Research and Safety Advisory Committee reports to the Senior Vice President for Administration & Finance, through whom it may make recommendations concerning safety and health policies, procedures, and remedial action, which are to be implemented on an institution-wide basis. At least once per year, it will provide a summary report on university Responsible Research and safety issues. Creation of the Responsible Research and Safety Advisory Committee does not change the reporting lines for existing Responsible Research and safety committees.
These reporting lines are set forth in the separate operating policies for each committee. Environmental Health and Safety will provide administrative and technical support for the Responsible Research and Safety Advisory Committee.
(1) Texas Administrative Code, Title 28, Part 4, Chapter 251, Subchapter D, Rule §251.402, Accident Prevention Rules
(2) Texas Administrative Code, Title 28, Part 4, Chapter 251, Subchapter D, Rule §251.404, National Safety Council Guidelines
(3) Texas Governor's Executive Order GWB 95-8, Relating to workplace safety and health of state employees, citizens served, and preservation of state property, signed June 29, 1995.
The committee membership will be constituted as indicated below.
|Responsible Research and Safety Advisory Committee Members|
|Managing Director of Risk Management|
|Assistant Vice President of Environmental Health & Safety|
|Chair, Radiation/Laser Safety Committee|
|Chair, Institutional Biosafety Committee|
|Institutional Official for Animal Care and Use|
|Chair, Protection of Human Subjects Committee (IRB)|
|Institutional Biosafety Officer|
|Chair, Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)|
|Human Research Protection Program (HRPP) Manager|
|Chair, Institutional Laboratory Safety Committee (ILSC)|
|Chair, Investigator Financial Disclosure Committee (IFDC)|
|Responsible Official, Federal Select Agent Laboratory|
4. Institutional Safety Committees
The following committees constitute TTU institutional Responsible Research and safety committees with Responsible Research and safety responsibilities:
|Standing Institutional Responsible Research and Safety Committees|
|Responsible Research and Safety Advisory Committee|
|Radiation/Laser Safety Committee (RLSC)|
|Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC)|
|Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)|
|Protection of Human Subjects Committee (IRB)|
|Institutional Laboratory Safety Committee (ILSC)|
|Investigator Financial Disclosure Committee (IFDC)|
5. The TTU campuses at Abilene, Fredericksburg, Junction, and Marble Falls shall establish a Regional Campus Responsible Research and Safety Committee to meet the unique needs of their respective campus. Membership to each of these committees is appointed by the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs upon recommendations made by the administration at the regional center. The term of appointment will be for three years. Minutes of TTU remote campus committee meetings will be provided to the TTU Responsible Research and Safety Advisory Committee.
6. The bylaws governing the respective committees will be provided for review by the Responsible Research and Safety Advisory Committee. Environmental Health and Safety will maintain copies of committee bylaws.
04 Audit Services
30 Academic and Student Affairs – General
32 Academic Policies – Faculty
34 Academic Policies – Students
36 Academic Programs
40 Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
48 Communication Services
52 Information Technology
60 Environmental Health and Safety
61 Facilities Management
62 Financial and Accounting
63 General Services
64 Graduate Programs (Faculty and Students)
65 Research Accounting
67 Mail Services
68 Communications and Marketing
69 Payroll and Tax Services
70 Human Resources
72 Purchasing, Contracting, and Payables
77 Student Services and Registrar
78 Traffic and Parking