OP 79.04: Application for Official Travel
DATE: November 19, 2002
PURPOSE: The purpose of this Operating Policy and Procedure (OP) is to set forth the policies and procedures governing the approval process for TTU employees requesting official travel status.
The director of Accounts
Payable will review this OP in November of each odd-numbered year, with
recommendations for change forwarded through appropriate administrative channels
to the vice president for Fiscal Affairs (VPFA).
1. The approval process for official travel is activated by the submission of an online travel application (www.fiscal.ttuhsc.edu/travel/main/travelhome.asp). The online form must be completed and submitted when reimbursement for travel will be requested, regardless of the funding source.
2. According to state travel regulations, students at institutions of higher education may not be reimbursed for their travel expenses unless the institution has collected a fee to cover such travel and the fee is deposited in the accounts of the university. Student travel expenses may be paid from unrestricted gift funds; e.g., cost of education funds.
3. No trips away from headquarters shall be approved until arrangements have been made by the involved faculty or staff member to ensure the adequate performance of delegated duties and the undisturbed continuance of all parts of TTU operations during the faculty or staff memberís absence.
4. All travel to duty points outside the conterminous U.S. must be approved in advance and in writing by the provost, regardless of the funding source. If the duty point is outside the U.S. or U.S. possessions, excluding Canada or Mexico, other travel restrictions apply, and the traveler should consult OP 79.05.
5. Detailed instructions for completing the online travel application form are provided in Attachment A.