Family Weekend and Family Days
At Texas Tech, we encourage to visit your student and enjoy seeing your student's home in Raiderland! There are opportunities each semester to visit your Red Raider.
Family Days are times we encourage parents and family members to visit their students on weekends when Texas Tech or Lubbock community events are happening. Most Family Days will offer FREE events for families to attend as well as more unstructured time to spend with your Red Raiders!
Family Day at the Carol of Lights - December 3, 2019
Visit your student and get in the holiday spirit by experiencing one of Texas Tech's most beloved traditions, the Carol of Lights. The 61st Annual Carol of Lights® will be held on Tuesday, December 3, 2019. The Carillon Concert will begin at 6:30 p.m. before the ceremony, with the Carol of Lights commencing at 7:00 p.m. The Masked Rider, Saddle Tramps Torch Light Processional, and High Riders will begin the ceremony at the University Seal on Broadway and follow the luminaria lighted route around Memorial Circle to the Science Quadrangle. This is an experience you and your family will never forget!
Driving and Parking On Campus
- ADA parking will be provided in the R1 parking lot, which is located near the intersection of 15th Street and Detroit Avenue.
- Parking for the general public will be available in most faculty/staff "R" parking lots after 5:30 p.m. Please check signage when entering a lot.
- No guest parking will be permitted in residence hall "Z" parking lots. Ticketing is enforced in these lots 24/7.
- Campus streets around Memorial Circle will experience some lane restrictions and street closures beginning at approximately 6:00 p.m.
61st Annual Carol Concert - December 3, 2019
- 7:30pm - 9:30pm
- School of Music - Hemmle Recital Hall
- Come join the Texas Tech University Choirs following the Carol of Lights ceremony for a festive and fun evening filled with holiday spirit. The choirs will sing carols, winter songs, and holiday songs with the intent of helping everyone get into the holiday season. Audience members will also be invited to join the choirs in singing some well-known carols. Join us for hot chocolate, wassail, and cookies following the concert!
- Tickets available for purchase HERE
Other Campus/Community Events:
Bell Tower Tours with the Saddle Tramps
- December 4, 2019 from 7-9 p.m.
- This is a fantastic way to see the 25,000 lights that adorn 13 Campus Buildings! Come see where History is Celebrated!
- December 5, 2019 at 7:00pm
- United Supermarkets Arena
- Tickets available for purchase HERE
- Trans-Siberian Orchestra is hitting the road with the all new Christmas Eve & Other Stories with shows across North America.
- December 6, 2019
- Light up your holiday this year at Adventure Park! Experience the park at Christmas every Friday and Saturday night in December with over 50,000 dazzling lights, crafts, campfire, and s'mores! Dinner with Santa and Brunch with Elsa, Anna, and Olaf will also be featured events during this magical season! Pajamas are welcome! For more information on ticket prices and admission, visit our website at www.adventureparkfun.com.
First Friday Art Trail
- December 6, 2019, 6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
- Experience free access to art galleries, live music, and food for purchase at local food trucks. If you haven't experienced Lubbock's First Friday Art Trail, yet, check it out! For more information, visit www.ffat.org.
For a list of other holiday activities, please visit https://christmasinlubbock.com/christmas-events-lubbock/.
Future Family Weekend and Family Day dates will be published here and in the Parent & Family eNewsletter
Past Family Days:
Family Day at First Friday Art Trail was October 5, 2018.
Family Day at Carol of Lights was November 30, 2018.
Sibling Saturday 2019 was February 16, 2019.
Texas Tech Lubbock Football Scrimmage - March 30, 2019
Family Day at First Friday Art Trail, Spring Edition - April 5, 2019
Family Day at First Friday Art Trail - November 1, 2019
Check out Visit Lubbock for shopping, restaurants, events, and attractions to enjoy while you are here for Family Days or Family Weekend!
Parent of the Year Award
Started in 2013, the Parent of the Year Award is a more recent tradition added to Family Weekend. Students have the opportunity to nominate their parent, guardian, or grandparent who has impacted the student's life significantly, both personally and academically. This is a chance for Texas Tech to recognize the parents who contribute to the success of our students. The award is presented to the winners during Family Weekend on the field of the Jones AT&T Stadium.
Learn more about nominating someone for Parent/Grandparent of the Year HERE.