Lubbock Community and Other Helpful Sites
- Map of Lubbock and campus - Find nearby attractions and places to find what you and your student need
- CashCourse.org - Information to help families and students with many things financially related.
- Mentalhealthedu.com - Educate yourself on a variety of mental health issues that students may face while in college. Access code is 7MH229115 (enter under New User to access).
- AlcoholEDU - Educates students about alcohol usage. Required for first-year students. Parents may also take the course by visiting the link and following the directions indicated for parents.
- Lubbock Convention and Visitors Bureau - Site to get the inside scoop on Lubbock. Helpful information for new parents or families.
- Lubbock-Avalanche Journal - Lubbock's local newspaper.
- Local Television Stations
Suggested Readings as a Parent of a College Student
Listed below are suggested readings with a variety of topics for the involved parent:
The Happiest Kid on Campus: A Parent's Guide to the Very Best College Experience (for
You and Your Child)
H. Cohen, 2010.
What to Expect When Your Child Leaves for College: A Complete Guide for Parents
M. Spohn, 2008
When Reality Hits: What Employers Want Recent College Graduates to Know
N. Barry, 2007
I'll Miss You Too: An Off-to-College Guide for Parents and Students: What Will Change,
What Will Not, and How We'll Stay Connected
Margo E. Woodacre and Steffany Bane, 2006.
Paying for College Without Going Broke
Kalman A. Chany, Geoff Martz, 2006.
You’re On Your Own: But I’m Here if You Need Me
Marjorie Savage, 2003.
Letting Go: A Parents’ Guide to Understanding the College Years
Karen Levin Coburn and Madge Lawrence Treeger, 2003.
She’s Leaving Home: Letting Go as Daughter Goes to College
By Connie Jones , Andrews McMeel Publishing, 2002.
A Parent’s Guide to Sex, Drugs and Flunking Out: Answers to the Questions Your College
Student Doesn’t Want You to Ask
Joel Epstein, Hazelden Information & Educational Services, 2001, 250 pages, paperback.
Don’t Tell Me What To Do, Just Send Money: The Essential Parenting Guide to the College
Helen E. Johnson, Christine Schelhas-Miller, St. Martin’s Griffin, 2000, 348 pages, paperback.