What to do When Considering the Health Care Field
Research your career of interest:
- Browse the internet.
- Research at your library.
- Contact your Area Health Education Center (AHEC).
- Ask your counselors or teachers about the career.
Talk to a professional who works in the career of interest:
- What is an average day like in their profession?
- What is the most enjoyable part of their job?
- What other health professionals do they work with?
- What type of education is required for their profession?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of their job?
Get experience working in a health care setting:
- Volunteer at a hospital or health clinic.
- Mentor with someone in your career interest.
- Learn basic skills such as CPR and First Aid.
Take related classes while in high school:
- Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Anatomy and Physiology
- Health Care Science/ Health Occupations Classes
- Algebra, Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus/ Calculus
For more information contact:
Lake Country Area Health Education Center
11937 US Hwy 271
Tyler TX 75708-3154