We are proud to announce that we are now taking applications for the 2014 Pre-Professional Health Careers Mentor Program for Medicine, Nursing, OT, PT, and Pharmacy.
The Pre-Professional Health Careers office is excited to team up with the Texas Tech Health Sciences Center and the Health Sciences Center School of Allied Health to offer the Pre-Health Mentor Program. This unique experience is available to any Texas Tech University student, particularly those who are pursuing admissions to the Medical, Nursing, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, and Pharmacy programs.
Students apply to the program through the Pre-Professional Health Careers Office and, if accepted, are paired with a Health Sciences Center student of Medicine, Nursing, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, and Pharmacy. The selected students will then enjoy privileged access to their desire Health Professions schools, including access to courses, seminars, lectures, programs, and educational experiences available only to Health Science Center students.
Applications are due May 13th at 5:00 PM Local to the Chemistry Building room 340 or emailed to Kevin Strickland.
An article on the Mentor Program has been featured in the Daily Toreador:
- Daily Toreador January 28th, 2014 for the Spring 2014 program.
- Daily Toreador October 1st, 2013 for Fall 2013 program.
Feedback from those who have participated in the program in the past has been very positive, including:
- I got to sit in on a hands lecture which was really interesting! Then I sat in on the associated lab with the class and got to see how OT students learn to perform the skills discussed in class.
- My experience in the program was great! My mentor gave me incredible advice on everything, from the interview to great electives that helped her.
- I sat in on Wound Care lab and was able to actually participate
- My mentor took me on a tour of the SimLife Center. It was such an awesome experience. She showed me all of the different "patients" that I will eventually be working with and how they operated.
- I have received numerous invitations to attend such activities such as the Dean Speeches, and additional classroom experiences to meet instructors.
Mandatory enrollment in IS 3110: Seminar in Health Professions is a pre-requirement or co-requirement in the program.
Important Note: Deadline dates vary so make sure you adhere to the date listed in
your specific program description. Any questions can be directed towards Kevin Strickland.