Travel Services

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions for Travel

Resources and Access to the Online Travel System

How do I access the Online Travel System?
  • Access to the Online Travel System available through the Travel Services website or
  • Access from the A&F Work Tools Tab in Raiderlink under Procurement
    • To add the A&F Work Tools tab to Raiderlink, click on Content Layout >> Fragments. Click on the Subscribe link next to A&F Work Tools >> Click on the box with the arrow for the location to place the tab.

State of Texas Travel Card

How do I request a State of Texas Travel Card?
  • The Individual Bill Travel Card Application is available at

    Please complete Section I and the Individual Bill Travel Card portion of Section II. Section VI requires the applicant’s signature and the applicant’s supervisor’s signature. You may scan and email the completed form to or mail to Travel Services (MS 1094) or drop off in Drane Hall Room 332. The Travel Card Use Agreement Form will also need to be signed before the card can be issued and is available at the same site.

    Once the application is received by the Travel Services, the applicant will receive an email with instructions to complete the remainder of the application online with personal information that is not supplied on the TTU Application. Once approved by Travel Services, CitiBank will run a personal credit check prior to issuing the card. Notification will be sent to the applicant from Travel Services when the card is available for pick up. The cardholder will be responsible for all charges resulting from use of the card.

Online Travel Application/Voucher

What approvals are required for travel?
  • If the destination is within the 50 United States the travel is approved by the traveler’s supervisor.

    If the travel is outside the 50 United States including Canada and Mexico the traveler must also obtain approval from The Office of International Affairs (OIA) prior to departure even if personal funds are used.

    In each of these cases, when the OIA and/or Chair’s approval is required, a copy of that approval is to be submitted with the voucher at the end of the trip.
What if the departmental information for the traveler is wrong?
  • You may contact Vendor Services in Purchasing to request for the information to be updated.
What happens if the trip gets cancelled? Do I have to do anything?
  • It depends on whether or not there were any non-refundable charges, such as airfare, agency fees, lodging deposits or registration fees. If there were any non-refundable charges, and your department agrees to reimburse them, you will need to file a voucher (unable to use state funds or grant funds). Be sure to include the reason why the trip was cancelled. If the charges were refundable, you will only need to cancel the Travel Application. If a TR or advance was included you will need to contact Travel Services.
How do I cancel a Travel Application?
  • Access the Online Travel System website at
  • Click on “Application” on the left side of the screen.
  • Log in with your eRaider User ID and Password.
  • Click on “Cancel an Application/Voucher”.
  • Click on the Application Number that you want to cancel.
  • If you cannot cancel the application, there is probably a transportation request (TR) or advance processed for that trip. Please contact the Travel Office for further assistance.
What happens if I submit an application twice for the same trip?
  • You must cancel one of the Travel Applications. See how to cancel a Travel Application above.
What type of travel needs to be filed through the online travel system?
  • All travel for current Employees, Prospective Employees and Students (graduate and undergraduate) may be processed through the online travel system. TR’s for airfare may also be processed for Prospective Employees. Lodging for Prospective Employees may be processed through the Guest Lodging Procedures in TechBuy or can be reimbursed to the individual through the online travel system.

    If you plan to invite an individual from a foreign country you first need to contact Office of International Affairs. If the individual does not have a SSN you will need to process their travel expenses through Purchasing. If the individual has a SSN you may proceed with the Online Travel System.
What type of travel can be processed on a PO?
I can’t get the online system to let me complete the application. What should I do?
  • The most common error is that there are not enough available funds for the FOP provided. You may check the live available budget for the FOP provided with the Available Budget tab in Raiderlink. Instructions for adding/using the Available Budget tab are located at
    • If the Available Budget for the FOP entered only shows one line with an available balance that is the budget for the entire FOP.
    • If the Available Budget for the FOP entered lists Account Pools, the available budget is broken down by those pools and budget revisions may be required to move funding into the account pool.
  • Other possible errors include entering the incorrect trip destination.
What happens if I only entered the State FOP in the Travel Application and there is an overage that can be claimed on one of our local or grant FOP’s?
  • The travel system allows a FOP to be added on the voucher. You may add a FOP from local or grant funds and include a completed Travel Exception Form for the overage.
I received an email stating that the Travel Office has not received a signed voucher and receipts for a Travel Voucher submitted. What should I do?
  • This is an automated courtesy notification from the Online Travel System that the Travel Office has not received the signed voucher with the receipts. You need to complete the Travel Voucher process by sending the signed voucher along with the appropriate receipts to the Travel Office. Check with your travel preparer to verify that all documentation has been turned into the Travel Office.
How do I pull up a saved or electronically returned voucher?
  • You are able to retrieve a voucher from the online travel system
    • Click on Voucher >> Fill out or complete a voucher >> enter traveler’s name or R# >> Select traveler’s name
    • A list of open applications will display. The voucher will be listed as “In Progress”. Click on the application number to retrieve the voucher.
How do I check the status of my travel voucher?
I seldom fill out a Travel Application/ Voucher. Is there any on-line help for me?
How do I add comments/messages in the Online Travel System?
How long after receiving email notification from the Online Travel System will the funds post to my direct deposit location?
  • The morning after you receive notification that travel has approved your voucher – you will receive an email notification of an ACH deposit (if you are on direct deposit for employee reimbursement). That morning the file uploads to the bank and the transfer begins. Depending on your bank – it can take up to 48 hours for the funds to post to your account.
How do I update my Direct Deposit information?
  • Log into Raiderlink
  • Open the TTU Employee tab. Under My Texas Tech Information Section, click on Update My Direct Deposit.
  • Select Update Direct Deposit and choose the Employee Reimbursement Account.
  • Enter the following information:
    • Bank Routing Number
    • Bank Account Number
    • Account Type (checking or savings)
    • Amount or Percent (for use with more than one bank account entered)
How do I look up Travel Payments?


Are travel advances allowed for prepaid expenses?
  • Travel advances are allowed for prepaid expenses (airfare, registration fees, hotel deposits, etc.) The advance must be requested on the Travel Application and is approved when the Travel Office receives a receipt showing the payment information. The receipt may be emailed to Please include the application number with the documentation.
  • Travel advances for prepaid expenses for future fiscal year travel may be processed in the current fiscal year with the following restrictions/conditions. The applications will be held in the Travel System until future fiscal year budgets are loaded.
    • No State FOP’s may be used (funds that begin with 11, 12, 13 or 14)
    • NO Multi Year FOP’s may be used
    • FOP elements must be valid
Are travel advances allowed for non-prepaid expenses?
  • Travel advances are allowed for some non-prepaid expenses. The advance must be requested on the Travel Application and will be approved five working days prior to departure. These types of advances are restricted as follows:
    • AirfareAllowed. Up to 90% of the expense listed on the application. The traveler will need to email a copy of the itinerary to confirming the cost of the airline ticket before the advance can be approved.
    • LodgingAllowed. Up to 90% of the expense listed on the application. Only the lodging amount set by the per diem rates for the destination city will be allowed Conference hotel rates will be allowed (up to 90%) when lodging is at the official conference hotel. Supporting documentation will be required for the advance and the voucher. State funding may not be used for the overage.
      • Hotel taxes may be added; however, the amount requested for hotel taxes may not exceed 9% for travel within Texas or 15% for travel outside Texas.
  • MealsAllowed. Up to 90% of the expense listed on the application. Only the amount set by the per diem rates for the destination city will be allowed
  • Rental CarsNot Allowed. Rental cars require booking by credit card and therefore advances are not applicable. Reimbursements may be claimed on the travel voucher. Direct bill options are available through TechBuy – see the Renting Vehicles How To Guides
  • Other – Additional expenses that will be allowed for advances is $100.00 for taxis and shuttles, when needed. Advances for parking or mileage to and from the airport are not allowed.

Lodging and Meal Per Diems

What is the per diem rate for meals?
  • Meals are limited to the per diems for each locality If the city or county is not listed, the Standard Rate is used. The per diem rates may change annually and should be verified prior to each trip. Travelers may claim either per diem or actual cost with itemized meal receipts; however, per diem cost cannot be exceeded.
    • Per Diem Meal costs allow:
      • Breakfast	20% of daily per diem
      • Lunch		30% of daily per diem
      • Dinner		50% of daily per diem
    • Meals may be claimed based on departure and arrival times. Time of departure is determined as ninety minutes prior to flight departure and arrival is determined when the plane lands.
      • Departure prior to 8:00 a.m.	Breakfast, lunch and dinner
      • Departure prior to 12:00 p.m.	Lunch and dinner
      • Departure prior to 5:00 p.m.	Dinner
      • Arrival after 9:00 a.m.		Breakfast
      • Arrival after 1:00 p.m.		Breakfast and lunch
      • Arrival after 7:00 p.m.		Breakfast, lunch and dinner
    • Up to 20% tip may be claimed with itemized meal receipts (tips are not allowed on state funds)
    • Alcohol will not be reimbursed
    • Meals included with registration fees may not be claimed on the travel voucher
    • Meals included with Food and Entertainment may not be claimed on the travel voucher as a per diem meal.
What is the per diem rate for lodging?
If I don’t claim the maximum allowable rate for my meal, can I use the excess on my lodging?
  • If the maximum meal rate is not claimed, the unused amount may be used to increase the maximum lodging rate.
What if I stay at a Hotel that is going to be over the contract rate?
  • Conference Hotels that exceed the per diem are allowed on institutional (non-state) funds when lodging is the official conference hotel. Conference documentation is required including the conference hotel name, dates and rates.
  • Non-Conference Hotels will require a completed Travel Exception Form with the voucher. The overage may only be claimed on an institutional FOP (non-state). Departments are responsible for reviewing the award terms and conditions to determine if allowable on sponsored project FOPs. Note: When you are completing the Travel Voucher, you can claim the overage on the FOP from institutional funds by clicking on the box that says “Exceed locality rates”.
How do I handle hotel deposits?
  • Hotel deposits can either be charged on the traveler’s state travel card or personal credit card. If charged to the travel or personal credit card, the traveler may request an advance to cover the charge similar to paying for airline tickets in advance by providing proof of payment.
The hotel charged one rate for some days and another rate for other days. How do I handle this?
  • Complete the Hotel Expense section for each rate exactly as charged on the receipt.
When is the Travel Exception Form Required?
    • When there are excess baggage fees.
    • When the traveler is claiming Early Bird Fees.
    • For Preferred Seating Charges or Extra-Leg room charges.
    • For reimbursement of Travel Insurance.
    • For 1st Class or Business Class charges.
    • For use of a GPS with the rental car.
    • For rental of a larger than standard vehicle.
    • When using a non-contract vendor for rental car.
    • For one-way rentals.
    • For Non-Conference Hotel lodging overage.
    • When tipping over the allowed 20%.
    • When using a taxi and rental car at the same location.
    • For any other questionable expense. refer to OP 79.08 or contact the Travel Office


Can I purchase my airline tickets on the Internet?
  • You may purchase your airline tickets on the internet if you are paying with your personal or travel credit card. When using state funds, the airfare receipt will need to include the fare basis code (which is a state requirement) and the payment information.
Are there any exceptions to the rule that Texas Tech will only pay contract airfare?
  • The Travel Office may not approve more than the contract airfare rate for reimbursement of airline expenses. There are generally NO exceptions, unless there is a bona fide legitimate reason. The Travel Exception Form will need to be completed, preferably prior to the travel and submitted with the voucher. The explanation “Scheduling Difficulties” will not be accepted without further detailed information.
How do I use SWABIZ for Transportation Requests (TR)?
Where can I find the contract rates/vendors for vehicle rentals?
  • Vehicle rental contracts have been established with UT Alliance for Enterprise/National, Hertz and Avis/Budget. Contract and rate information is available in the online travel system under Help >> Links >> TTU Rental Car Rates. Vehicle rentals may not exceed the contract rates or vendors without an Exception Form. Contract rates include all required insurance, therefore, insurance will not be reimbursable. Liability insurance is reimbursable if non contract vendor is used with a reasonable explanation. Itemized paid receipts are required with the Travel Voucher. An explanation will be required if a rental car and taxi are used for the same trip.
How is mileage determined if my personal vehicle is used for travel?
  • Travelers shall print a map from Mapquest of the mileage from the Headquarters to the Duty Point and submit this documentation with the Travel Voucher or reimbursement. Travel outside of the Texas/New Mexico/Oklahoma area by personal vehicle must be compared to what airfare would have cost at least 30 days in advance of travel.
What is the mileage from Headquarters to Lubbock International Airport?
  • Mileage from Headquarters to Lubbock International Airport is 8 miles. If the time of departure or return occurs during business hours, the mileage must be from/to Headquarters.

Procurement Services:

   Travel Services
Drane Hall, Room 332

Mail Stop:  1094
Address:  Box 41094,Lubbock, TX 79409
Phone:  806.742.4517
Fax:  806.742.4244