Dean, College of Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources Search
Texas Tech University (Texas Tech or TTU) invites applications and nominations for the position of Dean of the College of Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources (CASNR). The CASNR Dean will oversee seven academic departments: Agricultural and Applied Economics, Agricultural Education and Communications, Animal and Food Sciences, Landscape Architecture, Plant and Soil Science, Natural Resources Management and Veterinary Science. Additionally, the College has an equestrian center and one on-campus and two off-campus research farms. With more than 300 employees, including 137 tenured/tenure-track, instructors, and research faculty members, CASNR serves 1,754 undergraduate and 420 graduate students on the Lubbock campus. With 11 baccalaureate, 11 masters, and six doctorate degrees, CASNR is ranked in the top third among universities with agricultural sciences and natural resources programs. Seven research centers support much of the research activity in the college in addition to a strong partnership with Bayer CropScience. CASNR has an annual operating budget of more than $10M and receives approximately $15M annually in research funding.
Established in 1923, Texas Tech is a public, Carnegie Tier-One research-intensive university. With an endowment of over $1B the University enrolls over 36,000 students and offers more than 150 bachelors, 100 masters, and 60 doctoral degree programs across its main campus, its eLearning online courses, and its six in-state satellite campuses. Encompassing ten academic colleges, a Graduate School, and a School of Law, Texas Tech University is the largest institution and the flagship of the Texas Tech University System. The System also operates a medical school, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, which is located adjacent to Texas Tech's general academic campus and offers many joint degree programs and opportunities for research partnerships. The University is a member of Big 12 athletic conference with 17 teams in 11 varsity sports.
With a new executive leadership team in place, the Dean will join Texas Tech University at a time of unprecedented growth and momentum. As such, s/he will provide the leadership necessary to lead the college's tripartite mission, advance research, and foster meaningful collaborations with key internal and external stakeholders. In addition, the dean will serve as a champion for the college, leading fundraising efforts on its behalf. Furthermore, s/he will continue to nurture the strong cohesive nature of the college related to personalized instruction, attention to students and dedicated faculty and staff.
The new dean will be a forward-thinking, strategic leader who embraces all disciplines within CASNR. S/he should bring the ability to strive for excellence in all areas of CASNR's mission, including learning, research and engagement. The next dean must harness the strengths of the college while providing forward momentum. The successful candidate will have an earned doctorate in agriculture, natural resources, or closely related discipline along with a record of scholarly activity that merits an appointment as a tenured full professor within the college. This must include a record of distinguished scholarship, funded research and external stakeholder engagement. A keen understanding and appreciation of the academic, research and outreach missions of the college and visionary leadership qualities are essential.
Qualification and Experience
The Search Committee recognizes that no single candidate will have all the ideal qualifications. Candidates will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Leadership and entrepreneurial spirit along with a demonstrated ability to stimulate the research enterprise.
- A history of promoting research interests and collaborations transparently across an institution or institute and with external partners.
- The ability to effectively advocate for, and expand and manage the resources of the college.
- Excellent people and communication skills coupled with substantial administrative experience in fiscal and personnel management.
- Proven record of accomplishment of scholarly activity commensurate with a tenured full professor within the college.
- Effective leadership responsibility along with the ability to articulate a compelling vision and plan for the advancement of agriculture and natural resources education, research and outreach in the CASNR context.
- An understanding and ability to fundraise along with a willingness to engage in development activities.
- A record and commitment to promoting diversity in the broadest sense within departments, faculty, staff, students, and the dean's office.
- The ability to build effective partnerships with state, federal, private entities and industry as well as advocate for technology commercialization and outreach.
- The ability to provide management for college accreditation efforts as well as develop undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
Texas Tech University has retained Isaacson, Miller, a national executive search firm, to assist in this important recruitment. All inquiries, nominations, and applications should be directed to Dan Rodas, Vice President, and Jane McMahon, Managing Associate at www.imsearch.com/6260
As an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, Texas Tech University is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment. We actively encourage applications from all those who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the academic community at Texas Tech University. The university welcomes applications from minorities, women, veterans, persons with disabilities, and dual-career couples.
Michael San Francisco, Committee Chair
Mike Ballou, Associate Deans Representative
Eric Bernard, Chairperson Representative
Shane Blum, Faculty Senate Representative
Todd Brashears, Faculty
Samuel Discua Duarte, Graduate Student Representative
Mike Gilbert, Alumni Representative
Amber Miller, Alumni Representative
Allison Pease, Faculty
Jane Piercy, Staff Representative
Sasha Protopopova, Faculty
Jyotsna Sharma, Faculty
Manuel Silva, Undergraduate Student Representative
Leslie Thompson, Faculty
Linda Whitebread, Staff Representative
Ryan Williams, Faculty