College of Human Sciences, Department of Nutritional Sciences
Dr. Hao graduated from Weifang Medical College with a bachelor degree in Clinical Medicine (M.D.) (2000) and MS degree in Pediatrics from Peking University (2003). Dr. Hao received his doctoral degree in Nutritional Sciences from the Pennsylvania State University (2013). Following receipt of his doctoral degree he completed his post-doctoral training at Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School. Dr. Hao's research interests include understanding the mechanisms of obesity, non-alcoholic fatty liver diseases, and brown fat development.
Research interest: I am interested in investigating the development classical brown adipocyte and beige cells. I am also interested in finding nutritional therapies for obesity and cardiovascular diseases by using nanotechnology.
Area of expertise: Omega-3 fatty acids and obesity
1. Hao L, Huang KH, Ito K, Sae-Tan S, Lambert JD, Ross AC. Fibroblast Growth Factor (Fgf)-21 gene expression is elevated in the liver of mice fed a high-carbohydrate liquid diet and attenuated by lipid emulsion, but is not upregulated in liver of mice fed a high-fat obesogenic diet J. Nutr. 2016 Feb;146(2):184-90.
2. Hao L, Ito K, Huang KH, Sae-Tan S, Lambert JD, Ross AC. Energy shift regulates non-alcoholic fatty liver disease-associated gene PNPLA3 expression in mouse and HepG2 cells. Metabolism. 2014 Oct; 63(10):1352-62.
3. Ito K, Hao L, Wray AE, Ross AC. Lipid emulsion administered intravenously or orally attenuates triglyceride accumulation and expression of inflammatory markers in the liver of mice fed parenteral nutrition formula. J. Nutr. 2013 Mar; 143(3):253-9.
4. Ito K, Zolfaghari R, Hao L, Ross AC. Inflammation rapidly modulates the expression of ALDH1A1 (RALDH1) and vimentin in the liver and hepatic macrophages of rats in vivo. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2014 Nov 25;11:54.
5. Unger EL, Wiesinger JA, Hao L, Beard JL. Dopamine D2 receptor expression is altered by changes in cellular iron levels in PC12 cells and rat brain tissue. J Nutr. 2008 Dec;138(12): 2487-94