Board of Regents Grants Tenure to Six New Faculty Members
August 20, 2013
Faculty member tenures coincide with their appointments at the university.
Six faculty members received tenure during the Texas Tech University System Board
of Regents meeting in August. All are new faculty members who received tenure contemporaneously
with their appointments.
Receiving tenure are:
- David Perlmutter, dean of the College of Media and Communication and professor in
the Department of Journalism and Electronic Media. He previously was director of the
School of Journalism Communication, Starch Faculty Fellow and International Programs
Faculty Fellow at the University of Iowa.
- David Ray, associate professor in the Department of Biological Sciences. He previously
was associate professor in the Department of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Entomology
and Plant Pathology at Mississippi State University.
- Danny Reible, professor and Donovan Maddox Distinguished Engineering Chair in the
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. Reible is a member of the National
Academy of Engineering. He previously was the Bettie Margaret Smith Chair of Environmental
Health Engineering, director of the Center for Research in Water Resources, and a
professor in the Department of Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering
at the University of Texas-Austin.
- Lydia Thompson, professor and director of the School of Art. She previously was associate
professor and head of the Department of Art at Mississippi State University.
- Jian Wang, professor in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction and Helen DeVitt
Jones Chair in Teacher Education. He previously was a professor in the Department
of Teaching and Learning at the University of Nevada.
- David Weindorf, associate professor in the Department of Plant and Soil Science and
B.L. Allen Endowed Chair of Pedology. He previously was a professor in the School
of Plant, Environmental and Soil Sciences at Louisiana State University.
These six individuals bring to 773 the number of full-time tenured faculty at Texas
Tech. There are a total of 1,017 tenured and tenure-track faculty at the university.
There are 468 non-tenure track faculty at Texas Tech.