Phone: (806) 834-7518
Fiber and Biopolymer Research Institute
Department of Plant and Soil Science
Texas Tech University
1001 East Loop 289
Mail Stop 45019
Lubbock, TX 79409-5019
Personal InformationDr. Hu received his bachelor’s degree in chemistry (food chemistry and engineering) from Huazhong Agricultural University-Wuhan, China. He then received two master’s degrees in processing engineering of agricultural products from Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences-Beijing, China and macromolecular physical chemistry from Université Joseph Fourier Grenoble 1-Grenoble, France. His doctorate in agricultural and biological engineering was from Pennsylvania State University-University Park, PA, USA. He is a member of the American Chemical Society, Society for Biomaterials, American Society for Testing and Materials, and the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers.
Dr. Hu is interested in developing multifunctional renewable bioproducts, as well
as, exploring cutting-edge technologies to develop bioproducts. His major research
1. Cellulose dissolution and mechanism exploration;
2. Cellulose nanocrystals and its functionalization for diverse applications such as liquid crystals and organic bio-electronics;
3. Cellulose modification and composites for biomedical and photovoltaic application;
4. Research and application of other synthetic and natural biopolymers such as PLA, PU, starch, chitosan, silk protein, alginate, dopamine, etc.
5. Technology development to manufacture advanced materials such as 3D printing, LBL, Bio-MEMS, etc.