Awards and Honors:
- Robert S. Daniel Teaching Fellowship, Department of Psychological Sciences, University of Missouri
- Influential Faculty Mentor, Recognized by the Mizzou Alumni Association
- Junior Investigator Travel Award, Awarded by Research Society on Alcoholism. Funded by NIAAA.
- Pathway to Independence (K99/R00) Grant Award, Funded by National Institutes of Health.
My research examines how threats to one’s self-concept and stigmatization affect psychosocial adjustment and physical health among marginalized group members. I have also sought to understand the ways in which close relationships and social roles contribute to individuals’ intrapersonal and interpersonal functioning, particularly during times of stress. Recently, I have begun to investigate how individuals’ sexual identity development influences their health and well-being throughout adolescence and young adulthood.
- Talley, A.E., Brown, J.L., Stevens, A.K., & Littlefield, A.K. (in press). Do Peer Norms Moderate the Relation between Sexual Self-Concept Ambiguity Identity and Alcohol Involvement? Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs.
- Talley, A.E. & Littlefield, A. K. (2014). Pathways Between Concealable Stigmatized Identities and Substance Misuse. Social and Personality Psychology Compass, 8, 569–582. doi:10.1111/spc3.2117.
- Talley, A.E., Hughes, T., Aranda, F., Birkett, M., & Marshal, M. (2013). Exploring Alcohol-Use Behaviors Among Heterosexual and Sexual Minority Adolescents: Intersections With Sex, Age, and Race/Ethnicity. American Journal of Public Health, 104, 295-303. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2013.301627.
- Talley, A. E. (2013). Recommendations for improving substance abuse treatment interventions for sexual minority substance abusers. Drug and alcohol review, 32(5), 539-540.
- Littlefield, A. K., Talley, A. E., & Jackson, K. M. (2012). Coping Motives, Negative Moods, and Time-to-Drink: Exploring Alternative Analytic Models of Coping Motives as a Moderator of Daily Mood-Drinking Covariation. Addictive Behaviors, 37, 1371-1376.
- Talley, A. E., Kocum, L., Schlegel, R. J., Molix, L., & Bettencourt, B. A. (2012). Social roles, basic need satisfaction, and psychological health: The central role of competence. Personality and Social Psychological Bulletin, 38, 155-173.
- Talley, A., Sher, K.J., Steinley, D., Wood, P., & Littlefield, A. (2012). Patterns of Alcohol Use and Consequences among Empirically Derived Sexual Minority Subgroups. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, 73, 290-302.
- Talley, A. & Bettencourt, A. (2011). The moderator roles of coping style and identity disclosure in the relationship between perceived stigma and psychological distress. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 41, 2883-2903. DOI: 10.1111/j.1559-1816.2011.00863.x
- Talley, A.E., & Bettencourt, B.A. (2010). A Relationship-Oriented Model of HIV-Related Stigma Derived from a Review of the HIV-Affected Couples Literature. AIDS and Behavior, 14, 72-86.DOI: 10.1007/s10461-008-9493-y. PMID: 19037718.
- Talley, A.E., Molix, L., Schlegel, R. & Bettencourt, B.A. (2010). The influence of breast cancer survivors’ perceived partner social support and need satisfaction on depressive symptoms: A longitudinal analysis. Psychology and Health, 25, 433-449. DOI: 10.1080/08870440802582682. PMID: 20397295.
- Talley, A.E., Sher, K.J., & Littlefield, A.K. (2010). Sexual orientation and substance use trajectories in emerging adulthood. Addiction, 105, 1235-1245. DOI: 10.1111/j.1360-0443.2010.02953.x. PMCID: PMC2907467.
- Schlegel, R.J., Talley, A.E., Molix, L.A., & Bettencourt, B.A. (2009). Rural breast cancer patients, coping and depression: A prospective comparison study. Psychology and Health, 24, 933-948. DOI: 10.1080/08870440802254613. PMID: 20205037.
- Bettencourt, B.A., Talley, A.E., Molix, L.A., & Schlegel, R.J. (2008). Rural and urban breast cancer patients: Health locus of control and psychological adjustment. Psycho-Oncology, 17, 932-939. DOI: 10.1002/pon.1315. PMID: 18098346.
- Cooper, M.L., Talley, A.E., Sheldon, M., Levitt, A., & Barber, L. (2008). A dyadic perspective on approach and avoidance motives for sexual behavior. In A.J Elliot (Ed.) Handbook of approach and avoidance motivation. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Talley, A.E. & Bettencourt, B.A. (2008). Evaluations and aggression directed at a gay male target: The role of threat and antigay prejudice. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 38, 647-683.DOI: 10.1111/j.1559-1816.2007.00321.x.
- Bettencourt, B.A., Molix, L.A., Talley, A.E., & Eubanks, J. (2007). Numerical representation and cross-cut role assignments: Majority members' responses under cooperative interaction. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 43(4), 553-564. DOI: 10.1016/j.jesp.2006.05.012.
- Molix, L.A., & Talley, A.E. (2006). Psychological need satisfaction in social groups: Social roles as mechanisms for well-being. In J. Jetten & T. Postmes (Eds.), Individuality and the Group: Advances in Social Identity. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Bettencourt, B.A., Talley, A.E., Benjamin, A.J., & Valentine, J. (2006). Personality and aggressive behavior under neutral and provoking conditions: A meta-analytic review. Psychological Bulletin, 132(5), 751-777. DOI: 10.1037/0033-2909.132.5.75.1. PMID: 16910753.
Teaching Interests and Activities:
- Stereotyping and Prejudice
- Attitudes and Attitude Change
- Psychometrics and Item-Response Theory
- Statistical Methods
- Introduction to Social Psychology