- Member, TTU Graduate Council, College of Arts & Sciences Representative, Social Science Group (2012-2015)
- Member, 2014 APA Convention Central Programming Group (2013-2014)
- APA Continuing Education Committee, Member (2009-2011), Advisory Board (2012)
- Texas Psychological Association (TPA) Board of Trustees (2008-2011)
- Chair, TPA Academic & Higher Education Committee (2008-2012)
- APA Division 17 (Society of Counseling Psychology) Special Interest Groups, Coordinator (2006-2009)
- 'Legacies and Traditions' Forum Co-Editor, The Counseling Psychologist (2008-2012)
- Association of Directors of Psychology Training Clinics (ADPTC), New Director Support Committee, Co-Chair (2008-2011)
- ADPTC Program Committee & CE Coordinator (2006-2009)
- APA Division 36 (Psychology of Religion) - Executive Committee Member-at-Large (2006-2008), APA Convention Program Committee Reviewer (2010-2011, 2013)
- Editorial Board Member - Journal of Counseling Psychology (2002-2007), Training and Education in Professional Psychology (2010–2012)
- President, South Plains Association of Psychologists (SPAP) (2005-2007)
- Board of Directors - Council of Counseling Psychology Training Programs (CCPTP) (2001-2004)
- Faculty Supervisor, PSY 3306 (Personality) TTU Graduate Teaching Assistants (1996-present)
- Director, TTU Psychology Clinic (2004-2011)
- Director of Training, Counseling Psychology Doctoral Program (1998-2005)
- Provision of Psychotherapy Services, TTU Psychology Clinic (2004-Present)
- Instructor and Consulting Psychologist, Cardiac Rehabilitation Program, LifeStyle Centre, Covenant Hospital, Lubbock, TX (2000-2002)
- Staff Therapist, Crossroads Samaritan Counseling Center, Lubbock, TX (1994-1999)
- Cook, S. W., Aten, J. D., Moore, M., Hook, J. N., & Davis, D. E. (2013). Resource loss, religiousness, health, and posttraumatic growth following Hurricane Katrina. Mental Health, Religion & Culture, 16, 352-366.
- Cook, S. W., Dixon, L. D., & McGuire, P. J. (2012). Religion/spirituality: Theories and research. In N. A. Fouad (Ed.-in-Chief), J. A. Carter, & L. M. Subich (Assoc. Eds.), APA handbooks of psychology: APA handbook of counseling psychology: Vol. 1 (pp.507-522). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Cook, S. W., Thompson, C. L., & Coca-Lyle, V. A. (2012). The psychology of stress and coping. In J. Clopton, K. Goodheart, & J. Robert-McComb (Eds.), Eating disorders in women and children: A holistic approach to the prevention, management, and treatment of eating disorders (2nd Ed., pp. 125-141). Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
- Cook, S. W., Dixon, L. S., & Fukuyama, M. A. (2011). Integrating sacred writings in therapy. In J. D. Aten, M. R. McMinn, & E. L. Worthington (Eds.), Spiritually oriented interventions for counseling and psychotherapy (pp. 277-301). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Ward, A. Z., & Cook, S. W. (2011). The complex associations between conforming to masculine norms and religiousness in men. Psychology of Men & Masculinity, 12, 42-54.
- Cook, S. W., & Vacha-Haase, T. (2010). Legacies and traditions of counseling psychology: When the past is our future. The Counseling Psychologist, 38, 554-566.
- Harris, J. I., Cook, S. W., Kashubeck-West, S. (2008). Religious attitudes, internalized homophobia, and identity in gay and lesbian adults. Journal of Gay and Lesbian Mental Health, 12, 205-225.
- Bade, M. K., & Cook, S. W. (2008). Functions of Christian prayer in the coping process. Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, 47, 123-133.
- Levant, R., Richmond, K., Cook, S., House, A. T., & Aupont, M. (2007). The Feminist Ideology Scale: Factor structure, reliability, convergent and discriminant validity, and social contextual variation. Sex Roles, 57, 373-383.
- Levant, R., Good, G. E., Cook, S. W., O’Neil, J. M., Smalley, K. B., Owen, K., & Richmond, K. (2006). The Normative Male Alexithymia Scale: Measurement of a gender-linked syndrome. Psychology of Men & Masculinity, 7, 212-224.
- Cook, S. W. (2004). Definitions, obstacles, and standards of care for the integration of spiritual and cultural competency within health care chaplaincy. Journal of Health Care Chaplaincy, 13, 59-69.
- Gol, A. R., & Cook, S. W. (2004). Exploring the underlying dimensions of coping: A concept mapping approach. Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 23, 155-171.
- Cook, S. W., Borman, P. D., Moore, M., Kunkel, M. A. (2000). College students' perceptions of spiritual people and religious people. Journal of Psychology and Theology, 28, 125-137.
- Kunkel, M. A., Cook, S. W., Daughtry, D., Meshel, D., & Hauenstein, A. (1999). God images: A concept map. Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, 38, 193-202.
Applied Interests and Activities:
I conduct individual and couples psychotherapy with adults, using an eclectic perspective but emphasizing elements of cognitive-behavioral, interpersonal, and humanistic psychotherapy orientations. I work with a broad array of concerns in therapy, but I particularly enjoy working with the following issues: depression, anxiety, anger, religion/spirituality, gender, and relationship concerns. I have experience with and enjoy conducting stress management training with a variety of groups, including cardiac rehabilitation patients, church groups, and student groups.
Student Research Projects:
Most of my publications and presentations involve student co-authors. Recent titles of dissertations I have chaired, and students who conducted these dissertations, include:
- Examining psychometric properties of the negative religious interaction scale, by Petra McGuire.
- Coping with cancer: Associations among religiousness, religious coping, health locus of control, and psychological functioning, by Lindsey Moore.
- An examination of forgiveness, psychological distress, and incarcerated behavior in male inmates, by Micheal Shields.
- Distress and coping in outpatient assessment clients presenting with chronic pain, by Shelda Iverson-Borders.
- An assessment of the complex associations between masculinity and religiousness, by A. Zachary Ward.
- Dispositional coping strategies, optimism, and test anxiety as predictors of specific responses and performance in an exam situation, by Jason J. Baker.
- Analysis of the Personality Assessment Inventory among mentally ill prison inmates, by Jason Dunham.
- Religious variables relevant to internalized homophobia and homosexual identity development, by J. Irene Harris.
- Issues of gender effects, consistency, and assessment in coping, by Cathy L. Thompson.
- Personal growth in the midst of negative life experiences: The role of religious coping strategies and appraisals, by Mary K. Bade.