Lara Mandrell, M.A.
Virtual Office Hours (Fall 2017): M 10:00-11:00a, R 2:00-3:00p
Virtual Office: Here
Education: M.A., B.A., Texas Tech University
Areas of Expertise: Technical & Professional Communication, Instructional Development & Design
Lara Mandrell is an Instructor of Business Communication at the Rawls College of Business
at Texas Tech University. She designs and teaches distance sections of BCOM 3373.
Ms. Mandrell earned both her B.A. in English with Secondary Education emphasis and her M.A. in Technical Communication from Texas Tech University. She taught all levels of high school English before joining the RCOBA faculty in January 2009. Since then, she has taught BCOM 3373, a writing-intensive course focusing on the application of written and oral communication principles to managerial contexts. As part of that role, she served as a consultant in RCOBA's Georgie Snyder Center for Business Communication for six years, working one-on-one with graduate and undergraduate students as well as faculty members to provide feedback on various business writing and speaking projects. Today, she uses her training in instructional design and usability to deliver BCOM 3373 online.
In addition to teaching, Ms. Mandrell works as a freelance editor and volunteers as a literacy partner for elementary students at a local school district.
Publications & Presentations
- Mandrell, L. (2016, October). Developing effective assignments for web-based/online courses. Presentation delivered at Association for Business Communication 81st Annual International Conference, Albuquerque, NM.
- Mandrell, L. (2012, February). Communication skills for the interview process. Presentation delivered at Delta Sigma Pi Professional Business Fraternity chapter meeting, Lubbock, TX.
- Anderson, D., Chambers, B., Kennedy, M., Mandrell, L., Noyes, G., & Ovalle, I. (2012). Managerial Communication Workbook. Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt.
Awards & Honors
- Travel Grant (awarded by Texas Tech University Worldwide eLearning) - 2016
- Distance Learning Grant (awarded by Rawls College of Business Distance Learning Task Force) - 2015
- Favorite Professor (awarded by senior student-athlete ahead of academic awards banquet) - 2012
- Managerial Communication Service Award (awarded by RCOBA Area of Management) - 2012
- Certificate of Appreciation, Area of Management Faculty Recipient (awarded by Delta Sigma Pi Professional Business Fraternity) - 2012
- Faculty of the Month (awarded by Delta Sigma Pi Professional Business Fraternity) - 2011
- Association for Business Communication