Denton Collins, Ph.D.
Jerry S. Rawls Professor - School of Accounting
Education: Ph.D., University of Colorado (1995)
Area of Expertise: Accounting Choice, Corporate Disclosure, Productivity Accounting, Risk Management, and Fundamental Analysis.
Room Number: E365
About Dr. Collins
Dr. Denton Collins is a Jerry S. Rawls Professor of Accounting. He received his Ph.D. in business administration (accounting) in 1995 from the University of Colorado at Boulder. Prior to arriving at Texas Tech University in the fall of 2008, he served on the business school faculties at the University of Memphis, the University of Houston and the University of Colorado at Boulder. Dr. Collins became the PhD advisor for the School of Accounting in the fall of 2009. He currently serves on the editorial board of Issues in Accounting Education, and has published articles appearing in various accounting and business journals. These journals include Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Contemporary Accounting Research, Journal of Accounting Auditing and Finance, Accounting Horizons, Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, and Journal of Business Research.
- "A Comparative Analysis of Profitability and Tax Burden of US Energy Companies to Other Industrial Companies," with Bill Pasewark, Texas Tech University. 2013. Oil, Gas & Energy Quarterly 61(4): 641-652.
- "Financial Reporting Outcomes Under Rules-Based and Principles-Based Standards," with Bill Pasewark, Texas Tech University, and Mark Riley, Northern Illinois University. 2012. Accounting Horizons 26(4): 681-705.
- "An Empirical Investigation of the Relationship between Profit Margin Persistence and Firms' Choices of Business Model: Evidence from the US Airline Industry," with Francisco Roman, Texas Tech University, and Leon Chan, San Diego State University. 2011. Journal of Management Accounting Research 23: 37-70.
- "Management Entrenchment and the Cost of Equity Capital," with Henry Huang, Prairie View A&M University. 2011. Journal of Business Research 64(4): 356-362.
Awards and Honors
- Nominated, Favorite Professor, 2013 Senior Reception, TECHSPY Awards, Texas Tech University, 2013.
- Florence Nightingale Saint Award, Nursing Administration MSN, Class of 2006, Loewenberg School of Nursing, University of Memphis, 2006.
- Nominated, Suzanne Downs Palmer Professorship – Research Category, University of Memphis, 2006.
- Nominated, Distinguished Teaching Award, University of Memphis, 2005.