Paul Robert Goebel, Ph.D.
Interim Dean; James E. and Elizabeth F. Sowell Professor - Finance
Education: Ph.D., University of Georgia
Area of Expertise: Real Estate
Office Hours: By Appointment
Room Number: 239
About Professor Goebel
Professor Goebel brings his experience in the real estate business into the classroom for the classes that he teaches in real estate fundamentals and appraisal. While on the faculty at Texas Tech, he has maintained his close contacts with the real estate community. He has served as the Chair of the City of Lubbock Planning and Zoning Commission, and is a past President of the Texas Tech University Faculty Senate. Professor Goebel serves on the Board of Scenic Texas and the Lubbock Zoning Board of Adjustment. He is a licensed Texas Real Estate Broker. Professor Goebel also has served as the Chairman of the Board of the Texas Tech Federal Credit Union, a $100 million plus financial institution, and serves as Vice-Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Episcopal Diocese of Northwest Texas.
- "Valuing Installment Loan Receivables," (Paul R. Goebel, Timothy W. Koch, and S. Scott MacDonald). Journal of Business Valuation and Economic Loss Analysis (Vol. 8, Issue 1, 2013).
- “Addressing Appraisal Drift in Property Taxation: Alternatives to Traditional Taxation Methods” (William H. Dare, Paul R. Goebel and Carl Isett). Journal of Property Tax Assessment and Administration (Vol. 10, No. 1, 2013). Named the Best Paper in Real Estate Valuation at the 2011 American Real Estate Society annual meeting.
- “A Monte Carlo Exploration of the Vertical Property Tax Inequity Models: Searching for a ‘Best’ Model” (Josh Fairbanks, Paul R. Goebel, Michael D.S. Morris, William H. Dare). Journal of Real Estate Literature (Vol. 21, No. 1, 2013).
- "REIT Momentum and Characteristic-Related REIT Returns" (Paul R. Goebel, David M. Harrison, Jeffrey Mercer, and Ryan Whitby). Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics (Vol. 47, No. 3, 2013).
- "Money to Burn: Economic Incentives and the Incidence of Arson" (Paul R. Goebel and David M. Harrison). Journal of Housing Research (Vol. 21, No. 1, 2012).
- “ABCs of TIF, an Analysis of Tax Increment Financing in Texas” (Robert R. Eversberg and Paul R. Goebel) Tierra Grande (Vol. 12, No. 3, July 2005).
- “The Impact of Financial Institution Branch Locations on Surrounding Property Values,” (Josh Fairbanks and Paul R. Goebel).
Awards and Honors
- Inducted into the Texas Tech University Teaching Academy, 2009
- Texas Tech Finance Association Professor of the Year Award, 2005-2006
- COBA 2000-2001 Area of Finance Research Award Nominee
- COBA 1999-2000 Area of Finance Research Award Nominee
- Texas Tech Finance Association Professor of the Year Award, 1999-2000