Jeffrey H Burkhardt, Ph.D., FHFMA
Professor and Director, Health Organization Management Programs
Health Organization Management
Room Number: W324
Education: Ph.D. University of Michigan (1995)
About JeffreyJeff Burkhardt came to Texas Tech University from the University of Alabama at Birmingham where he was the director of the Master of Science in Healthcare Administration program, which is the second ranked program in healthcare administration in the country. He received his PhD from the University of Michigan Health Services Organization and Policy program, which is the top ranked program in the country, so he brings education and experience from the two best health administration programs in the country to the leadership of the TTU HOM program. Additionally, Dr Burkhardt is a Certified Healthcare Financial Fellow and a Fellow in the Healthcare Financial Management Association.
Since Dr Burkhardt has come to the Rawls College of Business as the director of the HOM program, he has instituted numerous improvements to the MD/MBA, PharmD/MBA, and MSBA programs within the HOM program, which has resulted in significant growth in the dual degree programs. The PharmD/MBA program is now one of the largest Pharm/D/MBA programs in the country.
- Berner E,Burkhardt J, Panjamapirom T, Ray M. Cost Implications of Human and Automated Follow-up in Ambulatory
Care, The American Journal of Managed Care, Nov 2014; Vol 20, Special Issue: 531-540.
- Burkhardt J., Wheeler JRC. Examining Financial Performance Indicators for Acute Care Hospitals. Journal of Health Care Finance, Spring 2013; 39(3): 1-13.
- Pisu M, Azuero A, Meneses K, Burkhardt J, McNees P. Out of Pocket Cost Comparison Between Caucasian and Minority Breast Cancer Survivors in the Breast Cancer Education Intervention (BCEI), Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, Jun 2011; 127(2): 521-529.
- Goode P, Burgio K, Johnson T, Clay O, Roth D, Markland, A, Burkhardt J, Issa M, Lloyd K, Behavioral Therapy With or Without Biofeedback and Pelvic Floor Electrical Stimulation for Persistent Post-Prostatectomy Incontinence – A Randomized Controlled Trial, JAMA, Jan 2011; 305(2): 151-159.
- Pisu M, Azuero A, McNees P, Burkhardt J, Benz R, Meneses K. The out of pocket cost of breast cancer survivors: a review, J of Cancer Survivorship, Sep 2010; 4(3): 202-209.
- Azuero A, Pisu M, McNees P, Burkhardt J, Benz R, Meneses K. An Application of Longitudinal Analysis with Skewed Outcomes. Nursing Research, Jul-Aug 2010; 59(4):301-307.
- Willig JH, Nevin CR, Willig AL, Burkhardt JH, Raper JL, Schumacher JE, Johnson VA, Saag MS, Mugavero MJ. Cost ramifications of increased reporting of detectable plasma HIV-1 RNA levels by the Roche COBAS AmpliPrep/COBAS TaqMan HIV-1 version 1.0 viral load test. JAIDS, Aug 2010; 54(4): 442-444.
- Menachemi N, Burkhardt J, Shewchuk R, Burke D, Brooks R. To outsource or not to outsource: Examining the effects of outsourcing IT functions on financial performance in hospitals. Health Care Management Review, Jan-Mar 2007; 32(1): 46-54.
- Robertson R, Burkhardt J, Powell P, Eloubeidi M. Trends in use of Colonoscopy, Flexible Sigmoidoscopy, and Double Contrast Barium Enema in the Medicare and Tricare Populations: 1999-2001. Preventive Medicine, June 2006; 42(6): 460-462.
- Menachemi N, Burkhardt J, Shewchuk R, Burke D, Brooks R. Hospital Information Technology and Positive Financial Performance: A different approach to finding an ROI. Journal of Healthcare Management, January/February 2006; 51(1): 43-62.
- Menachemi N, Brooks RG, Burkhardt JH, Shewchuk RM, Burke D. Exploring the Return on Investment Associated with Health Information Technologies. Report to the State of Florida, Feb 2005.
- Burkhardt JH, Litwin MS, Rose CM, Correa RJ, Sunshine JH, Hogan C, Hayman JA. Comparing the Costs of Radiation Therapy and Radical Prostatectomy for the Initial Treatment of Early-Stage Prostate Cancer, Journal of Clinical Oncology, June 15, 2002; 20(12):2869-2875.
- Wheeler JRC, Reiter KL, Mead S, Burkhardt JH, Bushee GR, Sunshine JH. The Use of Volume Standards in Health Services. Quality Management in Health Care, Summer 2001; 9(4):47-62.
- Sunshine JH, Burkhardt JH, Mabry MR. Practice Costs in Diagnostic Radiology. Radiology, March 2001; 218(3):854-865.
- Sunshine JH, Burkhardt JH. Radiology Groups' Workload in Relative Value Units and Factors Affecting It. Radiology, March 2000; 214(3):815-822.
- Burkhardt JH, Sunshine JH. Core Needle and Surgical Breast Biopsy: Comparison of Three Methods of Assessing Cost. Radiology, July 1999; 212(1):181-188.
- Wheeler JRC, Burkhardt J, Alexander JA, Magnus SA. Financial and Organizational Determinants of Hospital Diversification into Subacute Care. HSR, April 1999: 34(1 Part 1):61-81.
- Burkhardt JH, Sunshine JH, Shaffer, KA. Employment Market for 1996 Diagnostic Radiology and Radiation Oncology Graduates: Training Program Directors Point of View, AJR, August 1997; 169(2):333-337.
- Sunshine JH, Burkhardt JH. Employment Status of Physicians Completing Training. JAMA, July 1996; 276(4):281-282.
- Burkhardt JH, Sunshine JH. The Utilization of Radiology Services in Different Payment Systems and Patient Populations, Radiology, July 1996; 200(1):201-207.
- Sunshine JH, Burkhardt JH, Deitch CH, Chan WC. The Employment Market for Diagnostic Radiologists and Radiation Oncologists: An Update. AJR, Oct 1995; 165(4):797-801.
Awards and Honors
- Fellow, Healthcare Financial Management Association (FHFMA), 2002
- Yerger Award for outstanding performance in education, Healthcare Financial Management Association, 2012
- Muncie Gold Merit Award, Healthcare Financial Management Association, 2010
- Robert M. Coats Outstanding Member Award 2009 - 2010, Alabama Chapter, Healthcare Financial Management Association
- The Reeves Silver Award Winner, Healthcare Financial Management Association, 2007
- Yerger Award for outstanding performance in membership recruitment & retention, Healthcare Financial Management Association, 2006
- The Fullmer Bronze Award Winner, Healthcare Financial ManagementAssociation, 2005