Yitzhak Fried, Ph.D.
Office Hours: by appointment
Room Number: E343
Education: PhD University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign; M.A., Tel Aviv University (Israel); B.A., Bar-Ilan University (Israel)
Area of Expertise: Organizational Behavior, Human Resource Management
Yitzhak Fried, PhD, is the Trinity Professor of Management at Rawls College of Business, Texas Tech University. He received his PhD from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. His research focuses on the contribution of context in the areas of work stress, job and office design, motivation, performance appraisal, cross-cultural management, and diversity. He is a Fellow of the American Psychological association (APA) and the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology (SIOP) and a former Associate-Editor-in-Chief for the Journal of Organizational Behavior. His work has appeared in leading journals in the field, including the Academy of Management Review, Journal of Applied Psychology, Personnel Psychology, Journal of Management, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes (OBHDP),Journal of Organizational Behavior, Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, Journal of Vocational Behavior, and Human Relations.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Eldor, L., Fried, Y., Westman, M., Levi, A., Shipp, A., Slowik, L. (forthcoming). The experience of work stress and the context of time: Analyzing the role of subjective time. Organizational Psychology Review.
- Lazarova, M. Peretz, H., & Fried, Y. (2017). Locals know best? Subsidiary HR autonomy and subsidiary performance. Journal of World Business, 52, 83-96.
- Oldham, G.R. & Fried, Y. (2016). Job design research and theory: Past, present and future. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 136, 20-35.
- Laurence, G.A., Fried, Y., & Raub, S.P. (2016). Self-initiated vs. organization-imposed overload: A new avenue for advancing research on work stress. Work & Stress, 30, 337-355.
- Peretz, H., Levi, A., & Fried, Y. (2015). Organizational diversity programs across cultures: Effects on absenteeism, turnover, performance, and innovation. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 26, 875-903.
- Toker, S., Laurence, G., & Fried, Y. (2015). Fear of terror and increased job burnout over time: Examining the mediating role of insomnia and the moderating role of work support. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 36, 272–291.
- Mumford, M.D., & Fried, Y. (2014). Give them what they want or give them what they need? Ideology in the study of leadership. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 35, 597-746.
- Fried, Y., Laurence, G.A., Shirom, A., Melamed, M., Toker, S., Berliner, S., & Shapira, I. (2013). The relationship between job enrichment and abdominal obesity: A longitudinal field study of apparently healthy individuals. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 18, 458-468.
- Laurence, G.A., Fried, Y., & Slowik, L.H. (2013). My space: A moderated mediation model of the effect of architectural and experienced privacy and workspace personalization on emotional exhaustion at work. Journal of Environmental Psychology, 36, 144-152.
- Peretz, H. & Fried, Y. (2012). National cultures, performance appraisal practices, and organizational absenteeism and turnover: A study across 21 countries. Journal of Applied Psychology, 97, 448-459.
- Demerouti, E., Bakker, A., & Fried, Y. (2012). The role of work orientations in the job demands-resources model. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 27 (6), 557 – 575.
- Ganzach, Y. & Fried, Y. (2012). The role of intelligence in the formation of well-being: From job rewards to job satisfaction. Intelligence, 40, 333-342.
- Peretz, H. & Fried, Y. (2011). Information technology systems in the human resource area: A cross culture approach. The International Journal of Management and Business, 2, 13-29.
- Fried, Y., Shirom, A., Gilboa, S., & Cooper, C. (2008). The mediating effects of job satisfaction and propensity to leave on the stress-performance relationship: Combining Meta-analysis and SEM. International Journal of Stress Management, 15, 305-328.
- Levi, A. & Fried, Y. (2008). Race differences in reactions to affirmative action practices: A referent cognitions perspective. Journal of Applied Psychology, 93, 1118-1129.
- Shirom, A., Gilboa, S., Fried, Y., & Cooper, C. (2008). A meta-analysis of stress and performance at work: Examining the moderating effects of gender, age, and tenure. Human Relations, 61, 1371-1398.
- Gilboa, S., Shirom, A., Fried, Y., & Cooper, C. (2008). A meta-analysis of work demand stressors and job performance: Examining main and moderating effects. Personnel Psychology, 61, 227-271.
- Fried Y., Grant, A., Levi, A., Hadani, Slowik, L.H. (2007). Placing the job characteristics model in context: The contributing role of time. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 28, 911-927.
- Hargis, M.B., Baltes, B.B., Fried, Y., & Levi, A. (2006). Race differences at work: The role of educational inequality. Journal of Business and Psychology, 587-598.
- Melamed, S., Fried, Y., Froom, P. (2004). The joint effect of noise exposure and job complexity on distress and injury risk among men and women-The CORDIS study. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 46, 1023-1032.
- Fried, Y. & Slowik, L.H. (2004). Enriching goal setting theory with time: An integrated approach. Academy of Management Review,29, 404-422.
- Fried, Y., Slowik, L.H., Shperling, Z., Franz, C. Ben-David, H., Avital N., & Yeverechyahu, U. (2003). The moderating effect of job security on the relations between role clarity and work outcomes: A longitudinal field study. Human Relations, 56, 787-805.
- Fried, Y., Melamed, S., & Ben-David, H.A. (2002). The joint effects of noise, job complexity, and gender on employee sickness absence: An exploratory study across 2`1 organizations- The CORDIS study. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 75, 131-144.
- Rousseau, D.M. & Fried, Y. (2001). Location, location, location: Contextualizing organizational research. Journal of Organizational Behavior,22, 1-13
- Kushnir, T., Fried, Y., Malkinson, R. (2001). Work absence as a function of a national traumatic event: The case of Prime Minister Rabin's assassination. Work and Stress,15, 265-273.
- Fried, Y., Slowik, L., Ben-David, H.A. & Tiegs, R. B. (2001). Exploring the relationship between workspace density and employee attitudinal reactions: An integrative model. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 74, 359-372.
- Melamed, S., Fried, Y., & Froom, P. (2001). The interactive effect of chronic exposure to noise and job complexity on changes in blood pressure and job satisfaction: A longitudinal study of industrial employees. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 6, 182-195.
- Fried, Y., Levi, A.S., Billings, S.W., & Browne, K.R. (2001). The relations between political ideology and attitudes toward affirmative action among African-Americans: The moderating effect of racial discrimination in the workplace. Human Relations, 54, 561-584.
- Fried, Y., Levi, A.S., Ben-David, H.A., Tiegs, R.B., & Avital, N. (2000). Rater positive and negative mood predispositions as predictors of performance ratings of ratees in simulated and real organizational settings: evidence from U.S. and Israeli samples. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 73, 373-378.
- Fried, Y., Levi, A.S., Ben-David, H.A., & Tiegs, R. (1999). Inflation of subordinates' performance ratings: Main and interactive effects of rater negative affectivity, documentation of work behavior, and appraisal visibility. Journal of Organizational Behavior,20, 431-444.
- Billings, A.B. & Fried, Y. (1999). The effects of taxes and organizational variables on research and development intensity. R & D Management, 29, 289-301.
- Fried, Y., Hollenbeck J.R., Slowik, L.H., Tiegs, R.B., & Ben-David, H.A. (1999). Changes in job decision latitude: The influence of personality and interpersonal satisfaction. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 54, 233-243.
- Fried, Y., Ben-David, H.A., Tiegs, R.B., Avital, N., and Yeverechyahu, U. (1998). The interactive effect of role conflict and role ambiguity on job performance. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 71, 19-27.
- Sparks, K., Cooper, C.L., Fried, Y. & Shirom, A. (1997). The Effects of Hours of Work on Health: A Meta-Analytic Review. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 70, 391-408.
- Fried, Y., Tiegs, R.B., Naughton, T., and Ashforth, B. (1996). Managers' reactions to a corporate merger: A test of an integrative model. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 17, 401-427.
- Fried, Y., and Tiegs, R.B. (1995). Supervisor's role conflict and role ambiguity differential relations with performance ratings of subordinates and the moderating effect of screening ability. Journal of Applied Psychology, 80, 282-291.
- Fried, Y. and Tiegs, R.B. (1993). The main effect model versus buffering model of shop steward social support: a study of rank-and-file auto workers in the U.S.A. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 14, 481-493.
- Fried, Y., Tiegs, R.B., and Bellamy, A.R., (1992). Personal and interpersonal predictors of supervisors' avoidance of evaluating subordinates. Journal of Applied Psychology, 77, 462-468.
- Tiegs, R.B., Tetrick, L.E., and Fried, Y. (1992). Growth need strength and context satisfactions as moderators of the relations of the job characteristics model. Journal of Management, 18, 575-593.
- Fried, Y. (1991). A meta-analytic comparison of the JDS and JCI as correlates of work satisfaction and performance. Journal of Applied Psychology, 76, 690-697.
- Fried, Y. (1990). Workspace characteristics, behavioral interferences, and screening ability as joint predictors of employee reactions: An examination of the intensification approach. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 11, 267-280.
- Gilmore, D.C., Fried, Y., and Ferris, G.R. (1989). The influence of unionization on job satisfaction and work perceptions. Journal of Business and Psychology, 3, 289-297.
- Ashforth, B. and Fried, Y. (1988). The mindlessness of organizational behaviors. Human Relations, 41, 305-329.
- Fried, Y. and Ferris, G.R. (1987). The validity of the job characteristics model: A review and meta-analysis. Personnel Psychology, 40, 287-322.
- Oldham, G.R. and Fried, Y. (1987). Employee reactions to workspace characteristics. Journal of Applied Psychology, 72, 75-80.
- Fried, Y. and Ferris, G.R. (1986). The dimensionality of job characteristics: Some neglected issues. Journal of Applied Psychology, 71, 419-426.
- Reshef, Y. and Fried, Y. (1986). Strikes in Israel: The Histadrut in sectorial perspective, 1965-1982. Relations Industrielles/Industrial Relations, 41, 329-346.
- Fried, Y., Rowland, K.M., and Ferris, G.R. (1984). The physiological measurement of work stress: A critique. Personnel Psychology, 37, 583-615.
- Weber, Y., & Fried, Y. (2011). Guest Editors' note: The role of HR practices in managing culture clash during the post-merger integration process. Human Resource Management, (September/October) 50 (5), 565-570.
- Weber, Y. & Fried, Y. (2011). Guest Editors' note: The dynamic of employees' reactions during post-merger integration process. Human Resource Management, (November/December) 50 (6), 777-781.
- Grant, A. M., Fried, Y., Parker, S. K., & Frese, M. (2010). Putting job design in context: Introduction to the special issue. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 31, 145-157.
- Rousseau, D.M. & Fried, Y. (2000). Editorial. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 21, 1-2.
- Rousseau, D.M. & Fried, Y. (1998). Letter from the Editors. Journal of OrganizationalBehavior, 431-433.
- Fried, Y. (1995). Dialogue - TQM and the legal environment in the U.S.: A neglected issue in the TQM literature. Academy of Management Review, 20. 15-17.
- Fried, Y. (1993). Integrating domains of work stress and industrial relations: Introduction and overview. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 14, 397-399.
- Tetrick, L.E. and Fried, Y. (1993). Industrial Relations: stress induction or stress reduction? Journal of Organizational Behavior, 14, 511-516.
- Shipp, A. & Fried, Y. (Eds.) (2014). "Time and Work" (two volumes). East Sussex, UK: Psychology Press (Taylor & Francis Group).
- Shipp, A. J., & Fried, Y. (2014). Time research in management: Using temporal ambassadors to translate ideas into reality. In A. J. Shipp and Y. Fried (Eds.) Time and Work: How Time Impacts Individuals (Vol. 1). East Sussex, UK: Psychology Press.
- Fried, Y, & Shipp, A. J. (2014). Time research in management: How time impacts groups, organizations, and methodological choices. In A. J. Shipp and Y. Fried (Eds.), Time and Work: How Time Impacts Groups, Organizations and Methodological Choices (Volume 2). East Sussex, UK: Psychology Press.
- Fried, Y. & Levi, A.S. (2013). Job Design. In Oxford Bibliographies in Management. Ed. Ricky Griffin. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Fried, Y. (2012), Job design. In Aldag, R.J. (ed.), Organizational Behavior, The Marketing & Management Collection, Henry Stewart Talks Ltd, London (online at http://hstalks.com/?t=MM1553309-Fried)
- Grant, A. M., Fried, Y., & Juillerat, T. (2010). Work matters: Job design in classic and contemporary perspectives. In S. Zedeck (Ed.), APA handbook of industrial and organizational psychology, 1: 417-453. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Fried, Y., Levi, A.S., & Laurence, G. (2008). Motivation and job design in the new world of work. In, Copper, C., & Cartwright, S. (editors). The Oxford Handbook of Personnel Psychology. Oxford University Press, pp. 586-611.
- Fried, Y., Levi, A.S., & Laurence, G. (2007). The Job Characteristics Model and LMX-MMX leadership”, In Graen, J.B. (editor), LMX Leadership: The Series, Volume 5, pp. 157-197. Charlotte, North Carolina: Information Age Publishing
- Fried, Y., Snider, C., Hadani, M., & Levi, A. (2006). Job Design. In S.G. Rogelberg (Ed.) The Encyclopedia of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, vol 1., Thousand Oaks, California:Sage Publishing, pp. 392-395.
- Fried, Y. and Ager J. W. (1998). Meta-Analysis: Review, Integration and Recommendations for Meta-analysts. In Cooper, C.L., and Robertson, I.T. (Eds.), International Review of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, vol. 13. London: John Wiley.
- Fried, Y., Oldham, G.R., and Cummings, L.A. (1998; Second edition, October 2001). Job Design. In People, M. and Warener, M. (Editor), International Encyclopedia of Business and Management. London: Thompson Business Press.
- Fried, Y. (1988). The future of physiological assessments in work situations. In Cooper, C.L. and Payne, R. (Eds.), Stress at Work. (2nd Edition). N.Y.: John Wiley and Sons, Publishers.
- Rowland, K.M., Ferris, G.R., Fried, Y., & Sutton, C.D. (1988). An Assessment of the Physiological Measurement of Work Stress. In Hurrell, J.J., Lawrence, M.R., Sauter, S.L., & Cooper, C.I. (Eds.), Occupational Stress Issues and Developments in Research. N.Y. Taylor and Francis.
- Fried, Y. and Shirom, A. (1984). Effects of job enrichment and social support on the Stress-satisfaction relationship among engineers and technicians. In R.J. Burke (Ed.), Current Issues in Occupational Stress: Research and Intervention. York University Press.
Grants and Fellowships
- Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM; 2015-2017). Generation Y and work behavior: are they really that different? A cross cultural examination using data mining of social network websites” - Pilot Study (with Drs. Hilla Peretz and Emma Parry; $48,000)
- Society of Human Resource Management (2010-2012). Human resource management in multinational companies: Effects of national, organizational and professional culture on HR practices and organizational performance (with Drs. Hilla Peretz and Shlomit Kaminka; $100,000).
- Society of Human Resource Management (2009-2010). National values, human resource practices and organizational performance: A study across 21 countries (with Dr. Hilla Peretz; $57,500).
- Society of Human Resource Management (2007-2008). Studying the effects of organizational performance appraisal systems across different national cultures on organizational performance (with Dr. Hilla Peretz; $35,000).
- Raytheon Professional Services (2000-2001). Evaluating the validity and reliability of technician training methods and the transfer of knowledge for Raytheon ($140,000).
- Richard, J. Barber Fund grant for interdisciplinary legal research, 1995 (with Anthony Billings). The Grant support the project entitled: The Effects of Taxes on Research and Experimentation in the U.S. Private Sector: Moderating Effects of Organizational Characteristics.
- Richard J. Barber Fund Grant for Interdisciplinary Legal Research, 1993 (with K. Browne - Law School and A. Levi - Business School). The grant supports the project entitled, "The perceived justice of court rulings and legal rationales for preferential treatment".
- Seed support, provided by Research and Sponsored Programs Services, School of Business Administration, the College of Urban, Labor and Metropolitan Affairs (CULMA), the Master of Arts in Industrial Relations (MAIR), Center of Peace and
- Conflict and Hewlett Foundation, for stream of research on affirmative action, 1991-93 (with A. Levi).
- A fellowship (1987-1991; 1993) was awarded by American Natural Resources (ANR) Pipeline Company to longitudinally study employee adjustment and performance problems associated with a merger (with T. Naughton).
- Fellowships (1988) were awarded by the Master of Arts in Industrial Relations (MAIR) and by the College of Urban, Labor and Metropolitan Affairs (CULMA), to study sources of stress in the work of union officials.
- A summer grant (1988) was awarded by the Federal Mogul Corporation
- A fellowship for outstanding performance during graduate studies was awarded by the University of Illinois, 1983.
Honors and Awards
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- Society of Industrial and Organizational Psychology (SIOP)
- Society of Organizational Behavior (SOB)
- Whitman Research Fellow, Syracuse University, 2008-2010
- Excellence in Research Award, School of Business Administration, Wayne State University, 2004
- Distinguished Faculty Award, School of Business Administration, Wayne State University, 1992