Bob McDonald, Ph.D.
Professor - Marketing
Education: Ph.D., University of Connecticut (2001)
Area of Expertise: Strategy, Organizational Learning and Innovation, Branding, Nonprofit Marketing
Room Number: W325
Bob McDonald is the United Supermarkets Professor of Marketing. Dr. McDonald joined Texas Tech in the fall of 2001. He earned his Ph.D. from the University of Connecticut; both a Master of Business Administration and Master of Civil Engineering at the University of Houston; and a Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering from Columbia University.
Dr. McDonald's research interests include: strategy, organizational learning and innovation, branding, and nonprofit marketing. He has published in the Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of World Business, the Journal of Advertising, the Journal of Macromarketing, Industrial Marketing Management, and Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly. Dr. McDonald teaches Personal Selling and Sales Management.
He has been awarded the Chancellor's Council Distinguished Teaching Award, the highest award given by Texas Tech University for teaching. He has also won the Marketing Management Association's Teaching Excellence Award and the Texas Tech President's Excellence in Teaching Award. Dr. McDonald currently serves as the Coordinator for the Area of Marketing.
- McDonald, Robert E. and Joseph M. Derby (2014), "Active Learning to Improve Presentation Skills: The Use of Pecha Kucha in Undergraduate Sales Management Classes," Marketing Education Review (In Press).
- Dwivedi, Abhishek, Lester Johnson, and Robert E. McDonald (2014), “Celebrity Endorsements, Self-Brand Connection and Relationship Quality,” International Journal of Advertising (In Press).
- Levin, Michael A., Robert E. McDonald, and James B. Wilcox (2013), “An Analysis of Managers’ Resource Allocation Dilemma in a Fixed Capacity Situation,” Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 21 (3), 331 – 339.
- Hansen, Jared, Robert E. McDonald, and Ronald K. Mitchell (2013), “Competence Resource Specialization, Causal Ambiguity, and the Creation and Decay of Competitiveness: The Role of Marketing Strategy in New Product Performance and Shareholder Value,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 41 (3), 300 – 319.
- Madhavaram, Sreedhar and Robert E. McDonald (2010), “Knowledge-based Sales Management Strategy and the Grafting Metaphor: Implications for Theory and Practice,” Industrial Marketing Management, 39 (7), 1078 – 1087.
- Weerawardena, Jay, Robert E. McDonald, and Gillian Sullivan-Mort (2010) “Sustainability of Nonprofit Organizations: An Empirical Investigation,” Journal of World Business, 45 (4), 346 – 356.
- Levin, Michael A. and Robert E. McDonald (2009), “The Value of Competition: Competitive Balance as a Predictor of Attendance in Spectator Sports,” International Journal of Sports Marketing and Sponsorship, 11 (1), 7 – 24. (Lead Article)
- Laverie, Debra A., Sreedhar Madhavaram and Robert E. McDonald (2009), “Developing a Learning Orientation: The Role of Team-Based Active Learning,” Marketing Education Review, 18 (3), 37 – 51.
- Beruvides, Mario G., Robert E. McDonald, Kirk R. St. Amant, Ean-Harn Ng, Cheng-Chu Chiu-Wei and Nicole St. Germaine-Madison (2008), “Trans-Disciplinary Knowledge Sharing of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning: A Review of the Current State of the Art,” Professional Studies Review, 4 (1), 12 – 26.
- McDonald, Robert E., Tillmann Wagner and Michael Minor (2008), “Cheers! A Means-End Chain Study of College Student Choice of Bars,” Annals of Leisure Research, 11 (3-4), 386 – 403.
- Moore, Melissa, Robert M. Moore and Robert E. McDonald (2008), “Student Characteristics and Expectations of University Classes: A Free Elicitation Approach,” College Student Journal, 42 (March), 82 – 89.
- McDonald, Robert E. (2007), “Innovation in Non-Profit Organizations: The Role of Organizational Mission,” Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 36 (June), 256 – 281.
- McDonald, Robert E. and Sreedhar Madhavaram (2007), “What Firms Learn Depends on What Firms Know: The Implications of Prior Knowledge for Market Orientation,” Marketing Management Journal, 17 (1), 178 – 190.
- McDonald, Robert E. and Sreedhar Madhavaram (2007), “Marketing of Professional Project Services: An Exploratory Study of the Role of Operant Resources in the Context of Architectural Firms,” Marketing Management Journal, 17 (1), 95 – 111.
- Laverie, Debra A. and Robert E. McDonald (2007), “Volunteer Dedication: Understanding the Role of Identity Importance on Participation Frequency,” Journal of Macromarketing, 27 (3), 274 – 288.
- McDonald, Robert E. (2006), “Use of Videotaped Role Play Exercises in Large Sales Classes,” Journal for Advancement of Marketing Education, 8 (Summer), 32 – 37.
- Levin, Michael A. and Robert E. McDonald (2006), “R-A Theory as a Post-Chicago Argument for Legal Coopetition,” Marketing Management Journal, 16 (2), 1 – 12. (Lead Article)
- Madhavaram, Sreedhar, Vishag Badrinarayanan and Robert E. McDonald (2005), “IMC and Brand Identity as Critical Components of Brand Equity Strategy: A Conceptual Framework and Research Propositions,” Journal of Advertising, 34 (4), 69 – 80.
- Musunuru, Naveen, Eduardo Segarra, W.L. Harman, R. E. McDonald, and S.J. Maas (2005), “Economic Impacts of Seasonal Weather Information in Dryland Grain Sorghum Production,” Southwestern Journal of Economics, VII (1), 78 – 95.
- McDonald, Robert E. and Narasimhan Srinivasan (2004), “Technological Innovations in Hospitals: What Kind of Competitive Advantage Does Adoption Lead to?” International Journal of Technology Management, 28 (1), 103 – 117.
- Market Orientation
- Dynamic Capabilities
- Celebrity Branding/Self-Brand Connection
- Nonprofit Competition
- Nonprofit Strategy
- Teaching Marketing
Awards and Honors
- Texas Tech Chancellor's Council Distinguished Teaching Award, 2007
- Texas Tech President's Excellence in Teaching Award, 2005
- Texas Tech Service Learning Faculty Fellow Mentor 2006/2007, 2009/2010, 2010/2011
- Fellow, Wakonse-South Conference on College Teaching, 2002, 2008, 2012
- Fellow, American Association for Higher Education, Summer 2003
- Global Vision Award for International Studies, 2011, 2012
- Best Paper, Emerging Business and Technology Track, Winter Educators Conference, Orlando, FL 2003
- AMA-Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium Fellow, 2000
- Hormel Teaching Excellence Award 2007
- Hormel Meritorious Teaching Award 2006
- Reviewer of the Year 2013, Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice
- Society for Marketing Advances Doctoral Consortium Fellow, 1999
- Beta Gamma Sigma Honor Society, 2000
- Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society, 1981