Enjoy the natural elements inside the comfort of the Rec Center! The Climbing Center offers Recreational Sports members the opportunity to rock climb year round indoors while hanging high. The Climbing Center has over 4,000 sq ft of climbing, a free standing boulder, a full length crack, 10 foot roof section, 13 top-rope stations, 10 lead lines, and climbing routes for the beginner to the advanced climber. The Climbing Center offers open recreation, instructional clinics, movement workshops, and is also available for group rental. Harnesses, climbing shoes, and other equipment are all available to participants. Come try this exciting activity and find a great place to have fun and meet new people!
Vertical Plains Climbing Competition
Vertical Plains Climbing Competition is Texas Tech's annual climbing extravaganza; it is the biggest such event on the South Plains. Enjoy a CCS sponsored competition, open for all skill levels. You can also see some of the biggest and best climbing stories from around the world with REEL ROCK Film Tour. View our Vertical Plains page for event details and more info.
- Okay, a 53 foot wall can be intimidating, but getting started is easier than you think. All year long our staff will help you tackle the rock
- Come by the Climbing Wall and ask to climb. Our staff will get you on the wall.
- Climbing shoe rental is free on your first Try-A-Climb!
- Learn the necessary skills to become a proficient belayer so that you can climb with your friends!
- Earn your skills verfication and you are ready to belay on your own!
- Offered Monday through Thursday from 5:30 - 7:00pm during the school year.
- During the Summer, classes will be offered as needed. Please talk with the staff during open hours.
- Skills verification fee is $10.
- Check out this video on belaying technique from our friends at Fox Mountain Guides. Click Here for Video
- Take your climbing to the next level by learning the techniques of lead belaying.
- Pre-requisite: Must have current fundementals verification (and be comfortable climbing on top rope at a 5.9.).
- Earn your skills verification to lead climb.
- Skills verification fee is $10.
- Tuesday, October 15th, 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
- Tuesday, October 29th, 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
- Tuesday, November 12, 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
- Tuesday, December 3, 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
You will be able to builder on the rock wall whenever the Rec is open!
- Must be fundamentals certified prior to utilizing the rock wall during non-open hours
Other Classes Offered
- Outdoor climbing skills
- Thursday, November 14th, 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
- Must be lead certified to participate
- Skills verification fee $10
- Climbing Movement
- Gri Gri
- Route Setting
- Course dates and times will be posted at the Climbing Wall
|Belay Equipment||Free (Climbing participants are not allowed to use personal belay devices)|
The Climbing Center provides instructors, equipment, and supervised climbing so that everyone including first-time climbers can enjoy the adventure. Reservations can be made for Friday's after 7:00pm, Saturdays before 2:00pm and after 6:00pm, and Sundays before 3:00pm.
- Student Organizations
- Birthday Parties
- Boy Scout/Girl Scout Troops
- School Parties
- Fraternity/Sorority Events
- Sports Teams
- Company or Church Outings
Reservation inqueries can be emailed to email@example.com call the OPC at 806.742.2949.
Frequently Asked Questions