Summer 2013 Youth Learn-to-Swim
Texas Tech University Recreational Sports is proud to offer the American Red Cross Learn-to-Swim Program for Summer 2013.
The Learn-to-Swim program is unique in that it emphasizes water safety while introducing the fundamentals of swimming, diving and other aquatic activities. The program is adaptable to meet the various needs of its participants. Registration is open to those affiliated with Texas Tech University as well as the community. We also offer private and semi-private lessons and all of our classes are taught by certified Red Cross Instructors.
Register in person at the Leisure Pool or Aquatic Center during open hours.
The last day to register for any session is the WEDNESDAY before that session begins.
Please download and fill o ut his form before you register in person. Additional forms will be available at the time of registration.
PARENT & ME (6 MONTHS - 3 YEARS OLD)
[25 Minutes per Class]
This class is geared toward toddlers (six months to three years of age) to gain confidence in the water by having a one on one experience with a trusted adult’s assistance. Working with an instructor, the adult is in the water with the toddler to help introduce the child to the aquatic environment. Water adjustment and basic swimming skills will be emphasized.
AQUA TOTS (3 - 5 YEARS OLD)
[25 Minutes per Class]
Aqua Tots will enable preschool aged children to explore an aquatic environment and prepare for progressive levels. They will be introduced to combined skills for beginner swim strokes, beginning breathing skills and safety skills.
YOUTH (5 YEARS AND OLDER)
[45 Minutes per Class]
Youth, ages five & up, have the opportunity to gain knowledge and swimming skills in a safe and enjoyable aquatic environment. Youth lessons are divided into groups based on skill acquisition. Please refer to the detailed course descriptions online, or come by the pool during open hours for more information on each individual level.
Youth Levels - For detailed descriptions, please click here.
- Youth I: Introduction to Water Skills
- Youth II: Fundamental Aquatic Skills
- Youth III: Stroke Development
- Youth IV: Stroke Improvement
- Youth V: Stroke Refinement
- Youth VI: Swimming and Skill Proficiency
Note: At all levels of instruction, participants may not achieve all skill requirements during one session. It is common for participants to repeat the same level for multiple sessions.
JUNIOR LIFEGUARD TRAINING (11-14 YEARS OLD)
The newly revised Junior Lifeguarding program, formerly known as GuardStart: Lifeguarding Tomorrow guides youths ages 11-14 to the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course. The course focuses on building a foundation of knowledge, attitudes and skills of future lifeguards.
- Before entering Junior Lifeguarding, participants must demonstrate the following skills:
- Swim the front crawl for 25 yards continuously while breathing to the front or side.
- Swim the breaststroke for 25 yards using a pull, breathe, kick and glide sequence.
- Tread water for 1 minute using arms and legs.
- Show a level of comfort on the back by floating on the back for 30 seconds or swimming on the back for 25 yards using the elementary backstroke or back crawl.
- Submerge and swim a distance of 10 feet under water.
Summer 2013 Morning Sessions
All Summer 2013 Morning Learn-to-Swim classes meet Monday through Friday.
Lessons start at either 9:00 AM, 10:00 AM, or 11:00 AM for Youth Classes
Parent and Me and Aqua Tots lessons start every half hour. See below for full details.
- Session One : June 3 - June 14
- Session Two : June 17 - June 28
- Session Three : July 8 - July 19
- Session Four : July 22 - August 2
Summer 2013 Night Sessions
All Summer 2013 Night Learn-to-Swim classes meet Monday and Wednesday Evenings, starting at 6:30 for Parent and Me and Aqua Tot classes, and 7:30 for all Youth Learn-to-Swim classes.
- Session One : June 3 - June 26
- Session Two : July 8 - July 31
In addition to group lessons, we are pleased to offer private and semi-private lessons. These lessons can provide the participant with more individualized instructions and attention. We welcome participants of all ages and abilities. Please call or come by the pool during hours for pricing and availability.
- $55 per student per session for TTU students and employees
- $65 per student per session for Lubbock Community
- $85 per Junior Lifeguard Training session for TTU students and employees
- $95 per Junior Lifeguard Training session for Lubbock Community
Refunds, course transfers, and make-up classes are not available.
Course Guidelines and Policies
For course guidelines and policies, please click here.
Additional Learn-to-Swim Opportunities
We offer swimming programs for adults. These include group lessons at the beginner and intermediate levels as well as Swim Fit and Stroke Clinics for those who wish to further develop their swimming mechanics and skills.
For more information, please email us at email@example.com or call us at 806-742-1339.