Resources for LGBT Students
- Texas Tech Gay-Straight Alliance: Student organization that provides a safe environment and support network for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals and their straight allies. Meets Wednesdays at 7pm in Holden Hall 38. Contact TTUGSA on their FB page: http://www.facebook.com/ttugsa
- Safe Haven Support group: Facilitated by Student Counseling Center staff, this confidential service offers an opportunity for exploration of sexual/gender identity related concerns. Screening appointment required. Contact Dr. Amanda Wheeler for more information.
- Transgender/Non-Binary Gender Support Group: Facilitated by Student Counseling Center staff. This is a support group for TTU students questioning their gender identity or who identify as transgender or non-binary. Screening appointment required. Contact Dr. Amanda Wheeler for more information.
- Texas Tech Allies Program: Sponsored by Student Counseling Center. Offers training and ongoing support for those serving as Allies to the Texas Tech LGBTQ* community. Contact Dr. Amanda Wheeler for more information.
- Texas Tech Student Counseling Center: Provides confidential individual, group, and couple counseling for TTU students. Students pay for this service through their student service fee, so no session fee is needed. See their website for more information on how to obtain an appointment.
- Lavender Law: A student organization for TTU Law Students. For more information, contact their president Derek Mergele at firstname.lastname@example.org
- TTUHSC Gay-Straight Alliance: A student organization for students at TTU Health Sciences Center that provides support for the LGBTQ community through advocacy and education. Search for their group on Facebook using "TTUHSC Gay-Straight Alliance".
- Risk Intervention & Safety Education (RISE): This is a department on campus that is focused on prevention and wellness of TTU students. They provide educational programming and other services on Gender & Sexuality, including LGBTQ resources https://www.depts.ttu.edu/rise/
- Campus Climate & Incident Reporting Form: If you or someone else has experienced or witnessed discrimination or harassment related to sexual orientation and/or gender identity, you can report that incident using this form. http://www.depts.ttu.edu/rise/climatereport.php
- Student Legal Services: Offers low cost legal assistance for name changes and gender changes. Located on the 3rd floor of the Student Union Building Room 307. https://www.depts.ttu.edu/sls/
- Cross-Cultural Academic Advancement Center: Connects students, faculty and staff to programs and resources across the university to promote access, respect, inclusiveness and community regardless of personal culture. Administration Building, Suite 170 742-8682
- LubbockPRIDE: a private civic organization that consists of representatives of the LGBT community working to build a stronger, safer, and more diverse city through civic, cultural, and educational events. http://www.lubbockpride.org/
- OUTwest Lubbock: OUTwest Lubbock is the virtual community center for the LGBTIQ community in the South Plains area. http://www.outwestlubbock.org/
- PFLAG Lubbock: Support, Education and Advocacy network for Parents, Families, Friends and Allies of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Persons. PFLAG Lubbock is chapter of the national PFLAG organization. . Monthly meetings: 3rd Tuesday of each month (September through November; January through May), 7:00 pm, at St. John's United Methodist Church (1501 University Ave). They have a picnic in June and a social in December and do not generally meet in July or August. http://www.pflaglubbock.org
- South Plains College Gay/Straight Alliance: The South Plains College Gay-Straight Alliance exists to form a strong bond between the straight and LGBT communities at South Plains College. https://www.facebook.com/spc.gsa
- Project CHAMPS: A local organization that provides support services to individuals with HIV infections and their families. 806-771-0736 http://www.spcaa.org/champs-program.html
Local Churches w/ LGBTQ Supportive Ministries
- A Legal Guide for Lesbian and Gay Couples. Hayden Curry, & Dennis Clifford, NOLO Press.
- All Families are Different. Sol Gordon, Prometheus Books.
- Becoming Visible: A Reader in Gay & Lesbian History for High School & College Students.
Kevin Jennings, ed.,
- Beyond Acceptance. Carolyn Welch Griffin, Marian J. Wirth and Arthur G. Wirth, St. Martin's Press.
- Bi Any Other Name: Bisexual People Speak Out. Loraine Hutchins and Lani Kaahumanu, eds., Alyson Publications.
- Biphobia: It Goes More Than Two Ways. R. Ochs. In B.A. Firestein (Ed.), Bisexuality: The Psychology and Politics of an Invisible Minority (pp. 217-239), Thousand Oaks.
- Bisexual Resource Guide. Robin Ochs, ed., Bisexual Resource Center.
- Coming Out: An Act of Love. Rob Eichberg, Plume.
- Coming Out to Parents: A Two-Way Survival Guide for Lesbians and Gay Men and Their Parents. Mary V. Borhek, Pilgrim Press.
- Counseling and Psychotherapy with Bisexual and Exploring Clients. D.R. Matteson. In B.A. Firestein (Ed.), Bisexuality: The Psychology and Politics of an Invisible Minority (pp. 185-213), Thousand Oaks.
- Does Your Momma Know? An Anthology of Black Lesbian Coming Out Stories. Lisa C. Moore, ed., Redbone Press.
- Free Your Mind: The Book for Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual Youth and Their Allies. Ellen Bass and Kate Kaufman, HarperCollins.
- Growing Up Gay/Growing Up Lesbian: A Literary Anthology. Bennett L. Singer, ed., New Press.
- Lambda Gray: A Practical, Emotional and Spiritual Guide for Gays and Lesbians Who Are Growing Older. Jeanne Adleman, Newcastle Publications.
- Lesbian Moms, Gay Dads: Parenting a New Generation. April Martin, Harper Collins.
- Mom, Dad, I'm Gay: How Families Negotiate Coming Out. Ritch Savin-Williams, American Psychological Association.
- Not the Only One: Lesbian and Gay Fiction for Teens. Tony Grima, Alyson Publications.
- Now That I'm Out, What Do I Do? Thoughts on Living Deliberately. Brian McNaught, St. Martin's Press.
- Now That You Know: What Every Parent Should Know About Homosexuality. Betty Fairchild and Nancy Hayward, Harcourt Brace Jovanovich.
- Outing Yourself: How to Come Out As Lesbian or Gay to Your Family, Friends and Coworkers. Michelangelo Signorile, Fireside.
- Passages of Pride: True Stories of Lesbian and Gay Teenagers. Kurt Chandler, Alyson Publications.
- Permanent Partners: Building Gay and Lesbian Relationships that Last. Betty Berzon, E.P. Dutton.
- Queer in America: Sex, the Media, and the Closets of Power. Michelangelo Signorile, Anchor Books.
- Reflections of a Rock Lobster: A Story about Growing Up Gay. Aaron Fricke, Alyson Publications.
- Sexual Orientation Identity Formation: A Western Phenomenon. V. Cass. In R.P. Cabaj and T.S. Stein (Eds.), Textbook of Homosexuality and Mental Health (pp. 227-251), American Psychiatric Press.
- Straight Parents, Gay Children: Keeping Families Together. Bernstein, Robert A., Thunder’s Mouth Press.
- Stranger at the Gate: To be Gay and Christian in America. Mel White, Plume/Penguine.
- The Greatest Taboo: Homosexuality in Black Communities. Delroy Constantine-Simms, ed., Alyson Publications.
- The Uninvited Dilemma: A Question of Gender. Kim Elizabeth Stuart. Metamorphous Press.
- Trans Liberation: Beyond Pink or Blue. Leslie Feinberg, Beacon Press.
- Transsexuals: Candid Answers to Private Questions. Gerald Ramsey, Crossing Press.
- True Selves: Understanding Transexualism. Mildred Brown, & Ann Chole, Jossey-Bass Inc.
- True Selves: Understanding Transsexualism: For Families, Friends, Coworkers and Helping Professionals. Mildred L. Brown and Chloe Ann Rounsley, Routledge Press.
- Two Teenagers in Twenty: Writings by Gay and Lesbian Youth. Ann Heron, ed., Alyson Publications.
- Understanding Sexual Identity: A Book for Gay and Lesbian Teens and Their Friends. Janice E. Rench, Lerner Publications.
- Young, Gay, and Proud. Sasha Alyson, Alyson Publications.
- Human Rights Campaign
919 18th St., NW #800
Washington, DC 20006
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
1700 Kalorama Road NW
Washington, DC 20009
- Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation
8455 Beverly Blvd, #305
Los Angeles, CA 90048
- Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund
120 Wall Street, Suite 1500
New York, NY 10005-3904
- Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)
1726 M Street, NW Suite 400
Washington, DC 20036
- LLEGÓ (National Latina/o Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Organization)
1612 K Street, NW Suite 500
Washington, DC 20006
- Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network
121 West 27th Street Suite 804
New York, New York 10001-6207
- The National Consortium of Directors of LGBT Resources in Higher Education
- National Youth Advocacy Coalition
1638 R Street NW, Suite 300
Washington DC, 20009
- Out Proud
The National Coalition for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Youth
369 Third Street, Suite B-362
San Rafael, CA 94901-3581
Religious and Spiritual Resources