Resources for Allies
Welcome to the LGBTQ Allies Program
Hosted by the Texas Tech University Student Counseling Center, the TTU Allies Program is a community of supportive Texas Tech Faculty, Staff, and Students who affirm the rights of all Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Queer, Questioning, and Transgender individuals.
Our mission is to promote acceptance and awareness of sexual and gender identity differences at Texas Tech University.
Check back regularly for information on upcoming Allies Training events and other related campus activities.
Also – check out our “TTU Allies” Facebook page! You’ll find links to LGBTQ-related current events and stories, as well as an opportunity for our Allies to communicate with each other.
- Gay-Straight Alliance
GLBTQ & Allies student group at Texas Tech University
- GLBTQ Student Support Group & Individual Counseling
Texas Tech University Student Counseling Center
Student Wellness Center, Room 201
- Student Resolution Center
Offers confidential options for conflict resolution.
Student Union Building, Room 232E
- Cross-Cultural Academic Advancement Center
Connects students, faculty and staff to programs and resources across the university
to promote access, respect, inclusiveness and community regardless of personal culture.
Administration Building, Suite 170
- PFLAG Lubbock
Provides support for parents, family and friends of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons,
education for the general public, and advocacy for the gay community.
Meets third Tuesday of every month at 7:00 p.m. at St. John’s United Methodist Church – 15th St. and University.
806-795-4502 or 806 790-1228
- OUTwest Lubbock
OUTwest Lubbock is the premiere South Plains community center for (LGBTIQ) Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex, and Queer people. In a space this obscure and minute it is easy for people to stand out as well as find common ground within a community.
- L.I.F.E., Lubbock Interfaith Fellowship for Equality
Lubbock organization for people of faith from several churches who are dedicated to seeking equality
for all persons, targeting primarily discrimination based on sexual orientation.
- Barnes & Noble/ Hastings
Carries a selection of gay and lesbian literature, periodicals and movies (Hastings)
- A Legal Guide for Lesbian and Gay Couples. Hayden Curry, & Dennis Clifford, NOLO Press.
- All Families are Different. Sol Gordon, Prometheus Books.
- Becoming Visible: A Reader in Gay & Lesbian History for High School & College Students.
Kevin Jennings, ed.,
- Beyond Acceptance. Carolyn Welch Griffin, Marian J. Wirth and Arthur G. Wirth, St. Martin's Press.
- Bi Any Other Name: Bisexual People Speak Out. Loraine Hutchins and Lani Kaahumanu, eds., Alyson Publications.
- Biphobia: It Goes More Than Two Ways. R. Ochs. In B.A. Firestein (Ed.), Bisexuality: The Psychology and Politics of an Invisible Minority (pp. 217-239), Thousand Oaks.
- Bisexual Resource Guide. Robin Ochs, ed., Bisexual Resource Center.
- Coming Out: An Act of Love. Rob Eichberg, Plume.
- Coming Out to Parents: A Two-Way Survival Guide for Lesbians and Gay Men and Their Parents. Mary V. Borhek, Pilgrim Press.
- Counseling and Psychotherapy with Bisexual and Exploring Clients. D.R. Matteson. In B.A. Firestein (Ed.), Bisexuality: The Psychology and Politics of an Invisible Minority (pp. 185-213), Thousand Oaks.
- Does Your Momma Know? An Anthology of Black Lesbian Coming Out Stories. Lisa C. Moore, ed., Redbone Press.
- Free Your Mind: The Book for Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual Youth and Their Allies. Ellen Bass and Kate Kaufman, HarperCollins.
- Growing Up Gay/Growing Up Lesbian: A Literary Anthology. Bennett L. Singer, ed., New Press.
- Lambda Gray: A Practical, Emotional and Spiritual Guide for Gays and Lesbians Who Are Growing Older. Jeanne Adleman, Newcastle Publications.
- Lesbian Moms, Gay Dads: Parenting a New Generation. April Martin, Harper Collins.
- Mom, Dad, I'm Gay: How Families Negotiate Coming Out. Ritch Savin-Williams, American Psychological Association.
- Not the Only One: Lesbian and Gay Fiction for Teens. Tony Grima, Alyson Publications.
- Now That I'm Out, What Do I Do? Thoughts on Living Deliberately. Brian McNaught, St. Martin's Press.
- Now That You Know: What Every Parent Should Know About Homosexuality. Betty Fairchild and Nancy Hayward, Harcourt Brace Jovanovich.
- Outing Yourself: How to Come Out As Lesbian or Gay to Your Family, Friends and Coworkers. Michelangelo Signorile, Fireside.
- Passages of Pride: True Stories of Lesbian and Gay Teenagers. Kurt Chandler, Alyson Publications.
- Permanent Partners: Building Gay and Lesbian Relationships that Last. Betty Berzon, E.P. Dutton.
- Queer in America: Sex, the Media, and the Closets of Power. Michelangelo Signorile, Anchor Books.
- Reflections of a Rock Lobster: A Story about Growing Up Gay. Aaron Fricke, Alyson Publications.
- Sexual Orientation Identity Formation: A Western Phenomenon. V. Cass. In R.P. Cabaj and T.S. Stein (Eds.), Textbook of Homosexuality and Mental Health (pp. 227-251), American Psychiatric Press.
- Straight Parents, Gay Children: Keeping Families Together. Bernstein, Robert A., Thunder’s Mouth Press.
- Stranger at the Gate: To be Gay and Christian in America. Mel White, Plume/Penguine.
- The Greatest Taboo: Homosexuality in Black Communities. Delroy Constantine-Simms, ed., Alyson Publications.
- The Uninvited Dilemma: A Question of Gender. Kim Elizabeth Stuart. Metamorphous Press.
- Trans Liberation: Beyond Pink or Blue. Leslie Feinberg, Beacon Press.
- Transsexuals: Candid Answers to Private Questions. Gerald Ramsey, Crossing Press.
- True Selves: Understanding Transexualism. Mildred Brown, & Ann Chole, Jossey-Bass Inc.
- True Selves: Understanding Transsexualism: For Families, Friends, Coworkers and Helping Professionals. Mildred L. Brown and Chloe Ann Rounsley, Routledge Press.
- Two Teenagers in Twenty: Writings by Gay and Lesbian Youth. Ann Heron, ed., Alyson Publications.
- Understanding Sexual Identity: A Book for Gay and Lesbian Teens and Their Friends. Janice E. Rench, Lerner Publications.
- Young, Gay, and Proud. Sasha Alyson, Alyson Publications.
- Human Rights Campaign
919 18th St., NW #800
Washington, DC 20006
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
1700 Kalorama Road NW
Washington, DC 20009
- Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation
8455 Beverly Blvd, #305
Los Angeles, CA 90048
- Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund
120 Wall Street, Suite 1500
New York, NY 10005-3904
- Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)
1726 M Street, NW Suite 400
Washington, DC 20036
- LLEGÓ (National Latina/o Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Organization)
1612 K Street, NW Suite 500
Washington, DC 20006
- Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network
121 West 27th Street Suite 804
New York, New York 10001-6207
- The National Consortium of Directors of LGBT Resources in Higher Education
- National Youth Advocacy Coalition
1638 R Street NW, Suite 300
Washington DC, 20009
- Out Proud
The National Coalition for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Youth
369 Third Street, Suite B-362
San Rafael, CA 94901-3581
Religious and Spiritual Resources
- St. John’s United Methodist Church
1501 University Ave