The Terry Scholarship Program at Texas Tech University
The Terry Transfer Scholarship is intended to provide scholarships at 65% of the cost of attendance for up to 6 semesters to outstanding transfer students. In the selection of transfer students, there are several variables that will be reviewed, transfer GPA, extracurricular activities, employment and community service.
Students transferring into Texas Tech in a fall semester are eligible to apply and be considered for this scholarship.
How to Apply
Complete the Apply Texas application for admission to Texas Tech University. Candidates will be required to submit the following items:
- Completed Terry Scholarship Program application.
- Two letters of professional recommendation from teachers or employers who are non-family members. (upload included in the Terry Scholarship application)
- Several short essays (prompts are included on the Terry Scholarship application)
The priority deadline to complete the ApplyTexas scholarship application for Texas Tech University is March 1.
The Terry Foundation application must be submitted online to the TTU Scholarship Office by May 1st.
Terry Scholar award amounts are set at 65% of the cost of attendance per year for up to 6 semesters if a student needs it to finish their degree requirements.
To be a strong candidate for the Terry Transfer Scholars at TTU program, students should be able to demonstrate a strong record of leadership, show financial need, and possess strong academic abilities, as evidenced by grades. Additionally, Transfer candidates must be pursuing an initial bachelor's degree and have earned a 3.0 minimum cumGPA in all transferring coursework.
Applicants must also:
- Have completed at least 30 hours of post-high school credit in residence at a Texas college or university at the time of application; high school dual credit, AP, and courses-in-progress do not count toward the 30-hour requirement
- Be accepted as a full-time non-freshman transfer student beginning in the fall semester at one of the participating universities in the Terry Scholar program;
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Be a resident of the state of Texas for at least 3 years at the time of the application; active duty in the U.S. military while a resident of Texas counts toward the residency requirement regardless of duty station;
- Commit to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and comply with verification requirements no later than March 1
- NEW - Be at least 20 years of age on May 1 of the year in which the application is submitted.
Please visit our Terry Transfer Scholarship FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions).
Continuing Scholar Criteria
To continue receiving these scholarships each year, you must meet the following renewal criteria:
- maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 (most Terry Scholars maintain cumulative GPAs over 3.0)
- maintain full-time student status
- annually complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- write an acceptable, annual, self-evaluation letter
- attend all functions sponsored by the Terry Foundation (3 per year)
- attend a scholarship advisory meetings each semester
- comply with the rules prescribed by the University and the Foundation Board of Directors
Only 30 students will be nominated by the Texas Tech University (TTU) for the fall of 2019. The nominees' applications will be forwarded to the foundation for an interview. All final decisions regarding Terry Foundation Scholarship awards and award amounts are made by the foundation. The successful TTU Terry Scholar will be prepared to be actively involved with campus activities.
A special TTU student organization for Terry Scholars will offer recipients the opportunity to develop a community service agenda and mentor incoming scholars. Learn more at http://techterryscholars.org/.
Traditional Application Process
- Texas Tech Terry Home
- Terry Traditional Freshman Scholarship
- FAQ about the Terry Scholar program at Texas Tech
Transfer Application Process
First, apply to Texas Tech University using the Apply Texas application at TTU Admissions. Apply as soon as possible. Based on the student's answers to the questions on Apply Texas as well as the scholarship application for the university, students are nominated to become applicants. The university will email qualified students an invitation to apply through April.
After applications are received to the university a committee reviews the applications and sends forward a select few to the foundation for consideration. These selected candidates will receive an invitation to interview from the Terry Foundation.
The interview panel will select the incoming class of Terry Scholars for the following fall.
- TTU Scholarship Office
- TTU Transfer Terry Scholarship Information
- FAQ's about the Transfer Terry at Texas Tech
Terry Student Group
Students who receive the Terry Scholarship are a part of the Terry Student Organization, who functions to enhance the experience of the Terry Scholars and to give back to the community at large.
Learn More HERE
Please send your questions to the Texas Tech Terry Scholar Program Coordinator:Heather Medley