SGA Diversity Director
Hello Red Raiders!
Responsibilities & Initiatives
Goals, plans, and ideas for 2013-2014 academic year:
- I plan to have at least one culturally enlightening event per month. I will try to strategically plan so that we may do more within one month, however I am setting realistic goals for myself so one will do for right now. Also, for each month, I plan to hold an event that is relevant to a cultural national holiday for that month.
- Examples for this fall semester:
September- Hispanic Heritage Month. I will want to create an event that is Hispanic themed with representation from different Hispanic organizations on campus (there are a ton!)
October- No national cultural holiday, however I’d like to have an event with the Saudi Students Association and the Muslim Students Association, because both tie in the region and religion of the Middle East.
November- Day of the Dead (Dia De Los Muertos) is this month as is the Hindu festival Diwali. I’d like to stretch to make two events happen, however since there is already an event that will show case Hispanic culture, I’d like to focus on Diwali. The Indian Students Association on campus is a great club to get involved in on this event as well as the Bangladeshi Students Association.
December- Kwanzaa is going to be celebrated in December in 2013. The African Students Association on campus is quite dormant and I feel as if they would like some attention given to their culture, because the culture is so rich! In addition, the Black Students Association, in my opinion, would love to participate in this as well. Realistically I really want to collaborate an event and presentation with them in December, but because of finals the schedule of the event is still tentative.
- I envision my events to be a few hours long, advertised as such, and of course, free to the student body. I’d like to have events that usually have a presentation (dance for an Indian theme, because dancing is a large part of their culture) or different stands organized to represent a different part of culture (food, dress, traditions in that order). This event would likely take place in a spacious room, not quite as big as the SUB ballroom, but something of the like.
- Though I’d like to do a monthly event highlighting a different culture, I’d also be interested in having one large culture event that showcases a multitude of the groups on campus. As students enter, it’d be like a trip around the world for students visiting booth after booth. There is an event at the ICC similar to this held by the Student for Global Connections, however after contacting them I found that the event is still undecided for this year.
- As soon as the SGA Exec board approves of my ideas, I will begin contacting each of the respective clubs on campus.