Minutes for August 5, 2009
Printer Friendly Versions (Word | PDF)
- Call To Order:
- 2009-2010 Staff Senate President, Chris Leisinger
- 3:00 PM, Senate Room, Student Union Building
- Officers Present:
- Chris Leisinger, President
- Beverly Pinson, President Elect
- Tamara Ginter, Treasurer
- Sandy Gellner, Secretary
- Maggie Seymour
- Bridget Christopherson
- Nathaniel Haddock, Staff Ombuds
- Welcome: Chris Leisinger
- Roll Call: Sandy Gellner
- 41 of 59 Senators present.
- Absent: Jerry Darden, Lonnie Evans, Patricia McCaleb, Heather Medley, Jess Schwintz, Judy Easterwood, David Naugher, Kar Sata, Ashley Britton, Becky Evans, Blake Reynolds, Ashley McPherson
- Minutes: June minutes approved with one correction; July minutes approved as read.
- Treasurer’s Report:
June beginning balance: $9,473.63 July beginning balance: $8,423.25 Expended: $3,381.63 Expended: $ 259.47 Encumbrances: $2,331.25 Encumbrances: $ 86.73 Ending balance: $8,423.25 Ending balance: $8,250.51
- Guest Speaker: Maggie Seymour, Quality Service and Professional Development (QSPD)
- The New Employee Orientation is expanding to 1-1/2 days. Effective 8/1/09 there
will be two parts, the New Employee Orientation and the Benefits Orientation. Both
are mandatory. QSPD is sharing their registration system and will be able to enroll
employees in both events.
- Benefits Orientation – A new form called Benefits Orientation Form will be in the online New Employee packet. This form acknowledges the need to attend a Benefits Orientation ASAP in order to ensure each new employee enrolls in the optional medical coverage within the first 30 days of employment.
- New Employee Orientation – Equal Employment Opportunity and Workplace in the Violence Prevention trainings will be included with this orientation.
- Quality Service Awards nominations are due October 5th. The goal is to increase the number of nominations. If you would like assistance regarding key points in writing a nomination, please contact Otto Ratheal at email@example.com.
- SECC runs from September 1 – October 31, 2009. The goal is to increase participation. A new brochure was distributed to all TTU employees showing the impact SECC has on people’s lives.
- The New Employee Orientation is expanding to 1-1/2 days. Effective 8/1/09 there will be two parts, the New Employee Orientation and the Benefits Orientation. Both are mandatory. QSPD is sharing their registration system and will be able to enroll employees in both events.
- New Business:
- Shirts were on display for new Staff Senators to request.
- EEO Classification: EEO classification groups met and selected the EEO Representative.
Each EEO representative attends the Executive Board meetings and has voting rights.
Administrative: Shannon Crossland Technical: John Brocklehurst Professional: Virginia Downs Crafts/Trade: Ron Schulz Clerical: Meredith Gooch Service: TBD
- Committee Sign Ups: Staff Senators signed up for committees, each committee met and selected a chair. They also planned their first meeting date/time.
By-Laws: Tamara Ginter Elections: Len Markham Issues: Bruce Bills Scholarship: Kathy Smith Grievance: Kim Eggleston Nominations: Kerri Ford Communications/Public Relations: Audrey Pedowski (chair); Britta Tye (co-chair) Technology: Gary Bryant
- The Staff Senate roster was available for senators to update; also a list of 2009-2010 meeting dates.
- Britta Tye volunteered to be in charge of ordering flowers and sending cards to Staff Senate members, as needed.
- Committe Reports:
- Scholarship: Kathy Smith stated that she will have an announcement in TechAnnounce for Fall 2009 scholarships applications.
- Elections: Len Markham stated that we will have a special election in September for the Service EEO. Len will get a report of everyone employed in that classification. The goal is to have special meetings in conjunction with the various work schedules to talk about Staff Senate.
- Nathaniel Haddock spoke about the Ombuds program which was created out of an initiative from Staff Senate. He has assisted over 1,000 staff. He likes to be proactive. TTU is adding an Ombuds for faculty. The Ombuds office is located in the east basement of the Student Union Building.
- If you receive a parking ticket during the meeting, please give it to Chris.
- Next Executive Board meeting is August 26, 2009 at 4 p.m.
- Next Staff Senate meeting is September 2, 2009 in the Senate Room, SUB, at 3 p.m.