Minutes for January 13, 2010
Printer Friendly Versions (Word | PDF)
- Call To Order:
- 2009-2010 Staff Senate President, Chris Leisinger
- 3:00 PM, Escondido Theatre, Student Union Building
- Officers Present:
- Chris Leisinger, President
- Beverly Pinson, President Elect
- Tamara Ginter, Treasurer
- Sandy Gellner, Secretary
- Guests: Cindy McCullough, Nathanael Haddox
- Welcome: Chris Leisinger
- Roll Call: Sandy Gellner
- 37 of 52 Senators present (8 vacancies).
- Absent: Shannon Crossland, Mac Cooper, Kyle Clark, Dale Ganus, Kim Eggleston, Donna Burt, Kathy Smith, Kar Sata, Dawn Moreno, Kathy Schuessler, Tina Vecchio, Randy Lacy, John Brocklehurst, Kerri Ford, Pam Smith.
- Minutes: November minutes approved as read.
- Treasurer’s Report:
December beginning balance:$7,974.33 Expended:($822.37) Encumbrances:___$269.71 Ending balance:$7,421.67
- Treasurer’s Report was approved as presented. Meet and Greet expenditures will show in February's report.
- Guest Speakers:
- Janet May, Assistant VP for Human Resources Services, provided results of the Staff Satisfaction Survey; there was a 43.23% response rate which is very high. She stated that there seemed to be the same view, same ratings, between units. Ms. May will meet with TTU vice presidents and will go over the survey results with each one with emphasis on their respective areas. She additionally would like to put the survey and responses on Raiderlink.
- Ms. May also stated that the staff evaluation process is being re-vamped, the OP is being re-written, and there will be one evaluation form that will be used. The evaluation period will be May 1- April 30 and the evaluations will be due May 31st. There must be an evaluation done on time in order to be eligible for a merit pay increase. Banner 8 is coming on line and there will be appropriate training for that. Ms. May said that a job will not be able to be posted for longer than 90 days. HR will close it at that time and it will have to be re-posted if that vacancy is still open.
- Becky Green, Manager, Employee Relations and HR Research, spoke to us about workplace issues and complaint resolution. She provided us with a handout which is attached.
- President’s Report: David Naugher received the High Five Award.
- New Business:
- In order to attempt to fill some of the 8 Services EEO classification vacancies,
the Executive Board proposed to, in accordance with By-laws, Article V. Rules of
Order, Section H3(b),
- b. Amend or Rescind a standing rule, a program or order of business, or a resolution, previously adopted, without notice being given at a previous meeting or in the call of the meeting.
- The Executive Board would like to suspend a standing rule in the By-laws Article
1. Membership, Section A. Eligibility.
- A. Texas Tech University or Texas Tech University System Administration employee interested in serving as a staff senator must be employed in a benefits-eligible full-time or part-time position for at least one year of continuous service at the time of nominations.
- Said suspension was voted on and approved by a majority. That being passed: In
accordance with By-laws Article I, Section H1, a special election resulted in four
people nominated for the Service EEO classification for the Staff Senate:
- Ricardo Canales, Grounds Maintenance
- Sylvana Flores, Housing
- Ramona Hyatt, Housing
- Gregory Breault, Physical Plant Services
- Chris Leisinger swore in the new senators. Each will serve their term through June 2012.
- In order to attempt to fill some of the 8 Services EEO classification vacancies, the Executive Board proposed to, in accordance with By-laws, Article V. Rules of Order, Section H3(b),
- Committe Reports:
- Technology: Could establish a share point server.
- By Laws: No report.
- Communications and PR: 368 people attend the M&G (400 was the goal). Pictures taken at the M&G are on the Staff Senate website.
- Elections: Committee will meet shortly. Elections will be held late March/early April.
- Grievance: No report.
- Issues: Four open issues that are being worked on.
- Nominations: Jerry Darden, Administrative; David Noret, Professional; and Sylvana Flores, Service, volunteered to be on this committee to fulfill the EEO representation requirements.
- Scholarships: Will meet shortly to discuss spring scholarships.
- Parking: March 3rd is the next car clinic; a parking garage is going to be constructed on the northwest corner of University and Marsha Sharp Freeway; a parking coordinators luncheon is scheduled.
- Family Care: No report.
- Green Task Force: Task Force has met and they have received various assignments.
- Staff Recognition: Next meeting is January 20th. We can recognize staff we work with by thanking them via email or by writing a thank you note.
- Student Life: No report.
- Strategic Planning: No report.
- Gender Equity: Committee has met; however, there is nothing to report at this time.
- Bookstore: The committee proposed to create a brochure about ethics regarding copying materials and copyrights.
- Next Executive Board meeting is January 27, 2010 at 3:30 p.m. in Admin 244.
- Next Staff Senate meeting is February 3, 2010, 3 p.m. in the SUB Senate Room.