Become a Peer Leader
Interested in becoming a FYRE Peer Mentor?
Peer Leaders play a crucial role in facilitating a successful First Year Experience for incoming Texas Tech students. Peer Leaders are paired with a select Raider Ready Freshman Seminar classes (IS 1100) and work closely with Raider Ready Instructors. Each peer leader serves as a role model and will introduce students to the university's learning campus community, creating a safe and welcoming transition to life as a Red Raider!
|The FYRE Peer Leader is:||The FYRE Peer Leader is not:|
- Be enrolled full-time for the Fall 2017 semester
- Maintain a 2.5 Cumulative GPA
- Maintain Good Disciplinary Standing
- Exhibit a positive attitude and willingness to be challenged
- Demonstrate involvement in the Texas Tech University community
- Complete a Peer Mentor application
- Participate in all Peer Leader trainings, workshops and development activities (see dates below)
- Attend all assigned sections of RaiderReady (sections will be assigned according to your fall class schedule).
- Lead at least one out-of-class activity for your assigned RaiderReady section to promote engagement in the Lubbock and Texas Tech communities
- Communicate with your assigned students on a weekly basis
- Meet regularly with your assigned faculty member as needed
- Help new students adjust to life at Texas Tech and become academically and personally oriented to the university
- Serve as a mentor for academic, co-curricular, and leadership involvement
- Maintain confidentiality of students and maintain appropriate relationships
- Assist in facilitating class discussions
- Act as a resource and role model for new Texas Tech students (#StriveForHonor)
Applications Due March 31, 2017 at 11:59 pm.
Peer Leader/Instructor Meet and Greet
Thursday, April 20
3:30 – 5:00 pm
Peer Leader Orientation
Tuesday, May 2
5:30 – 9:00 pm [dinner provided]
Instructor Training: "How to Utilize a Peer Leader in the Classroom"
(in conjunction with RaiderReady Training)
April 25, May 3, or May 10
4:00 - 5:00 pm
Fall 2017 Dates
Peer Leader/Instructor Training
Friday, August 25
9:00 am – 5:00 pm*
(*Instructors attend 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm)
RaiderReady Class Meetings
August 28 - October 20 (Once per week)
Tuesday, September 12
5:30 – 7:00 pm
FYRE Engagement Events
If you have questions about serving as a Peer Leader or a cooperating RaiderReady Instructor, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.