Become a FYLI Peer Mentor
What is FYLI?
The First Year Leadership Institute (FYLI) is a semester long program designed to help new students develop their personal and professional skills so they can be more successful both in and out of the classroom and have a positive impact on the Texas Tech community.
What do FYLI peer mentors do?
FYLI peer mentors act as guides for incoming students by helping them develop their leadership skills and learn about resources to help them be successful at Texas Tech. The goal of this program is to build student leaders who are influential in the Texas Tech community, and peer mentors are critical to achieving this goal. Peer mentors will help their mentees: develop their own personal leadership style, learn how to get involved on campus, build connections with other students, and gain professional skills that will help them during their time at Texas Tech and beyond.
What's required of me?
- Attend required peer leadership trainings
- Friday, May 4 (4:00 – 6:00pm): Peer Mentor Meet-and-Greet
- Friday, August 24 (9:00am – 5:00pm): Being an Effective Peer Mentor Training [lunch will be provided]
- Attend the FYLI Welcome Social
- Wednesday, August 29 (6:00 – 8:00pm)
- Attend weekly FYLI meetings throughout the fall semester
- Wednesdays from 6:00 – 8:00pm
- Lead activities for large and small groups
- Attend monthly peer mentor trainings
- Days and times are TBD
- Act as a mentor for a small group of students
- Check in weekly with mentees, including texting/emailing and face-to-face meetings
- Lead an engagement activity for your mentee group twice during the semester
- Can be either an on-campus activity or a Lubbock community event
More details will be available as we conclude our planning this summer
So.....what's in it for me?
This resume-enhancing leadership opportunity will provide you with skills that will benefit you both in your time at Texas Tech and in your future career.
- Development of leadership skills including problem-solving and critical thinking
- Public speaking experience and small group facilitation skills
- Opportunity to improve your written and verbal communication
- Build deeper relationships with incoming students you meet throughout the summer
- Knowledge that you are making a positive impact on the lives of incoming students at Texas Tech
How do I apply?
Fill out the FYLI Peer Leader application by April 29th at 11:59pm.
You will be notified whether you were selected by Tuesday, May 1. For questions about the application or the position, please email email@example.com.