Join the Crew
Are you looking for an exciting summer job? Then join the Crew!
Each year we hire students from a wide range of backgrounds, colleges, and organizations. These students get an incredible opportunity to have a fun and exciting job while representing Texas Tech! Being on the Crew is a unique experience; you will interact with and guide new students through RRO, develop relationships with fellow Crew members and Tech faculty/staff, and have a lot of fun while showing your Red Raider pride!
If you are interested in the position, then attend an information session (dates below). Attending an information session is required in order to receive an application.
About the Position
As a counselor you will:
- Be a positive representative of Texas Tech University
- Welcome new students, their parents, and family members to Texas Tech
- Lead small group discussions
- Assist students with class scheduling and the registration process
- Teach students the History and Traditions of Texas Tech
- Serve as a peer mentor to new students
- Develop professional and leadership skills
- Gain in-depth knowledge about campus resources
- Establish connections within the Texas Tech community
- Form lasting relationships with other amazing Crew members
- Summer housing in Hulen/Clement during the summer term you are hired to work (required)
- Meals during retreat, training, and RRO
- RRO apparel
- You must maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA during employment.
- You must be in good academic and disciplinary standing with Texas Tech University.
- You must be a full-time student in Spring and Fall 2020.
- You must be an undergraduate student.
- You must attend all trainings, meetings, retreats, and RRO sessions.
- You cannot have any other employment or enroll in classes during the half of the summer you are working.
The Crew are students who work the 2 Day RRO sessions. The Crew is divided into two staffs, each working one half of the summer.
In addition to working RRO during the summer, crew members must also commit to training sessions in the Spring semester.
Mandatory Spring 2020 Dates
|March 6th - 7th||Crew Retreat
All Crew Members
Thursday's at 5:00 pm starting March 5th
All Crew Members
Mandatory Summer 2020 Dates
|May 29th - June 26th||First Half of RRO
Summer I Crew Only
|July 8th - August 5th||Second Half of RRO
Summer II Crew Only
How to Apply
- Attend an information session.
Attending an information session is required in order to receive an application. See dates below.
- Complete the online application.
After attending an information session, submit the application online.
- Attend the Group Interview!
All candidates that have both the application and reference form submitted on time and meet basic requirements will be asked to come to the group interview.
- Sign up for an individual interview.
A majority of the participants that come through the group interview process will be asked to sign up for an individual interview. Dates are listed below.
Crew Information Sessions
To learn more about the position and how to apply, come to an information session. You will get to hear from past Crew members and get all of your questions answered in person. Attending an information session is required in order to receive an application.
*All fall sessions are in the SUB Playa Room
|Spring Info Sessions||
|Group Interview||Saturday, February 15th|
Can I take summer courses and be on the Crew?
Due to the nature of the job, you may not take courses during the term you work for orientation. However, you may take courses during the term you do not work for orientation. For example, a Crew member hired for the Summer I term would be able to take courses during Summer II.
Do all applicants get invited to the group interview?
As long as applicants meet the basic requirements, they will be invited to the group interview. Basic requirements include submitting a completed application, sending the recommendation form to a reference, being a full-time undergraduate student for Spring and Fall 2020, and meeting the minimum 2.5 GPA requirement.
I cannot come to the group interview, should I still apply?
As this is a special circumstance, you will need to email email@example.com to make arrangements. Don't let not being able to attend stop you from applying until after communicating with the RRO Crew Professional Staff.
Does everyone get an individual interview?
No. Individual interviews are granted based on basic requirements, applications, and the group interview. Approximately 70% of applicants get an individual interview.
Do I have to attend the Crew Retreat?
Yes. Every member of the Crew must attend the retreat. This is your opportunity to get to know the fellow Crew members you will be working with over the summer.
Do I have to live in the Hulen/Clement residence hall during RRO?
You have to stay in Hulen/Clement on the nights before RRO. During RRO, this means you must live/sleep/stay Saturday night -Thursday night. After you are released on Fridays from RRO, you will be able to stay at the location of your choice.
Will I be able to attend church on Sunday mornings?
On Sundays, we will begin at 9:30 a.m. and go for most of the day. As this conflicts with most church times, you will not be able to attend on Sunday mornings. But many churches offer Saturday evening services you can attend.
Connect with us on Social Media