The phrase “Strive for Honor” is taken from Texas Tech’s alma mater, The Matador Song. Each time you show your Raider pride and excitedly get your “guns up,” remember
what it means to Strive for Honor.
Listen to the Matador Song
What is "Strive for Honor"?
As Red Raiders, we strive, as a matter of principle and pride, to embody this ideal
in everything we do whether:
- Acting with integrity within the classroom, providing only the best of ourselves in
our endeavors, and not succumbing to the lure of academic misconduct such as cheating
- Supporting our Texas Tech Red Raiders on the field of competition, while still respecting
and recognizing our own sportsmanship in our interactions with visiting teams;
- Desiring to help our fellow Red Raiders, to watch out for our peers and classmates,
and assist them in times of need;
- Striving to better ourselves and our institution with our commitment to our responsibilities
today and our promises to make the world a better tomorrow; and
- Living the values of Texas Tech, while continuing to always learn and promote new
ideas and opportunities for those yet to come.
"Texas Tech University is committed to the values of mutual respect; cooperation and
communication; creativity and innovation; community service and leadership; pursuit
of excellence; public accountability; and diversity."
— 2005 Texas Tech University Strategic Plan