Avoiding Conflict: Surviving Exams
EXAMS...TESTS... those dreaded events that seem to creep up on us during the semester. What are you to do when you feel like these monsters are controlling your life? Do you feel overstressed from all the studying? If you do, here are some helpful hints to get you through those rough times.
- Relax. If your stress levels are high, listen to some soothing music or do some relaxation techniques to release the tension you may have.
- Be positive. Exams and tests are just another activity to apply all the knowledge and skills you have acquired throughout the semester.
- Keep away from people who are have high anxiety before tests. You already have anxiety you don't need to increase yours at the same time.
- Reward yourself. Go see a movie or visit with a friend during finals. This will help you to get away from the books for a few hours and refresh your brain. Plan a big treat for yourself once everything is over.
- Start studying early for your exams. Don't wait until the last minute. If you have two tests on the same day, alternate your study time for each of them. You don't want to get bogged down on one and then have to cram for the other.
- Take breaks when studying. You don't want to exhaust yourself before your study time is over.
- Review what you have learned in your last hours. Don't try to cover new material.
- Avoid staying up all night. The less sleep you have the less clearly you will be able to think for the test.
- Take care of yourself. Coffee, tea and Coca-Cola all contain caffeine and are relatively safe ways to help you stay awake. Avoid taking drugs to help you stay awake. If you feel yourself getting tired go to bed and get up early the next day and study.